Check out This I Love with 99 Axl voice

We have no concrete proof that ANY of the songs leaked or released were actually recorded in 1999. The actual date of the sessions is a complete mystery.

Obviously we can determine that "Oh My God" and "SCOM Big Daddy" were recorded sometime between 1994 and 1999. The rest, every single version of every song off of Chinese Democracy, is unknown.

Considering that the vocals are EXACTLY IDENTICAL on every single iteration of the songs, it's obvious Axl only did one take and stuck with that take. When was it? Any time between 1994 and 2006 when the songs leaked. We simply do not know. Only Axl knows for sure.

If anything, the fact that the TIL remix has NEW vocals indicates it was NOT in fact recorded at the same time as all the other songs, and may actually be the NEWEST known example of Axl's vocals. No way to know, but logic suggests that's the case.

We have no concrete proof that ANY of the songs leaked or released were actually recorded in 1999. The actual date of the sessions is a complete mystery.

Obviously we can determine that "Oh My God" and "SCOM Big Daddy" were recorded sometime between 1994 and 1999. The rest, every single version of every song off of Chinese Democracy, is unknown.

Considering that the vocals are EXACTLY IDENTICAL on every single iteration of the songs, it's obvious Axl only did one take and stuck with that take. When was it? Any time between 1994 and 2006 when the songs leaked. We simply do not know. Only Axl knows for sure.

If anything, the fact that the TIL remix has NEW vocals indicates it was NOT in fact recorded at the same time as all the other songs, and may actually be the NEWEST known example of Axl's vocals. No way to know, but logic suggests that's the case.

Not entirely true. Chris Pitman gave pretty detailed info of how and when Madagascar was recorded. And for the early vocal sessions for e.g. Catcher, Madagascar, OMG and Blues in general we can go by when the players were all in the band and after the point Moby said Axl refused to do vocals so we're talking '98-'99 for the new songs. As for the Live Era/SCOM/Appetite re-recording we know from Axl that the new band did that before writing/recording new material so that's more like '97-'98.

I mean, if you want to spend a day or two reading through Chinese Whispers there is an absolute shit-tonne of info that could help form a pretty good timeline for the genesis and recording of songs so to say the actual date of sessions is a complete mystery is an exaggeration. We know from Merck e.g. that the additional Blues vocals were done in December '06.

As for the This I Love remix: there is no proof that it's a new vocal recorded for the remix album as opposed to an alternate vocal take from some time after 1993 but an educated guess suggests it very probably is. We know that Axl recorded new vocals for Blood In The Water specifically for the remix album. The Remix TIL vocals also sound more like Axl's 2008 Angel Down vocals to me than his '99 Chinese/Blues/Madagascar vocals. They also 100% go with the new version of the song which is not actually a remix but a completely different almost hip-hop version with a beat. I doubt Brain just found an alternate vocal take from '99 and decided to slap some shit on it.

How the hell are there so many people in this thread who didn't hear the compilation of clips that leaked a while back? It was a bunch of clips from the remix album plus I think the Ron/DJ Betters and Silkworms. MSL sent it to a mod or someone as proof and they leaked it, I think.

In case all you people missed it there are remixes of Better done by DJ and Ron, an acoustic version called Better Gone which I think was meant to be the Remix album version plus clips of other remixed songs.

Blood In The Water was (I think) a Prostitute remix with new vocal clips, presumably done by Brain.

And no, sorry I don't have time to upload and PM etc. The comp was still on Soundcloud a while back is you search intelligently.

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

I've read Chinese Whispers several times and it's an awesome read.

But there is still no PROOF. All the indications were that the hold up was cause Axl wasn't recording vocals. Hours and hours and hours of instrumentals with no vocals laid down.

When we got the leaks in 2006, and then later versions, and even later versions, there were obviously layers added to the music but the vocals all remained the same.

Everyone ASSUMED that the earliest versions were from 1999 and ASSUMED they knew who was in the band and playing what on which version of the leak. Hell, people label the leaks as "TWAT 99" or "TWAT Anti-quiet" but the truth is, we don't know who was playing what. It's all an educated guess.

Unless of course you actually have an interview with Chris Pitman where he confirms which version of the leak was recorded when and where and by whom? And can anyone else verify that information?

The only one I hadn't heard was Better Gone, just listened to it and.. umm.. It's interesting..

Regarding vocals TWAT seems to be a mix of older vocals (98-00) and newer vocals at the end (06-07), Better seems to be 06ish as well, same as The Blues.

Would love a new version of Prostitute with a cleaner mix and 2014 Vegas vocals.. dat rasp.

But there is still no PROOF. All the indications were that the hold up was cause Axl wasn't recording vocals. Hours and hours and hours of instrumentals with no vocals laid down.

When we got the leaks in 2006, and then later versions, and even later versions, there were obviously layers added to the music but the vocals all remained the same.

Everyone ASSUMED that the earliest versions were from 1999 and ASSUMED they knew who was in the band and playing what on which version of the leak. Hell, people label the leaks as "TWAT 99" or "TWAT Anti-quiet" but the truth is, we don't know who was playing what. It's all an educated guess.

Unless of course you actually have an interview with Chris Pitman where he confirms which version of the leak was recorded when and where and by whom? And can anyone else verify that information?

Ah, sorry, I see what you mean. I mis-read your post and was thinking specifically about when the vocals were done, not when the whole tracks were worked on. I think it's fair to say that the final tracks are a pro-tooled mashup of countless players, sessions, versions etc. I mean, Baker made them re-record the lot, Brain re-recorded all of Freese's parts etc. And to your point, when Axl and Caram were working on the liners they had a nightmare time trying to figure out who did what over the years lol.

-

Axl does indeed sound glorious on the new TIL and I agree that Prostitute would be much better with a single, unprocessed raspy vocal. For some reason Axl feels that layering masses of vocals on top of oneanother and even adding effects somehow adds grandeur or whatever. For me it ruins Madagascar, TIL and Prostitute. I'd personally much rather a single, dry, unprocessed vocal any day. Imagine the screams in IRS and Twat sounding like the screams in Madagascar, TIL or Prostitute instead. That's why I only listen to amazing, superior live versions of those songs from 2010 and wish we had Twat and Prostitute to go with them.

Edited by Jordan Rose

Axl is probably going to release both CD ll and the remix Chinese at a close time to one another. That's cool cause I think the songs are good enough to be revisited like that. But first give me CD ll now. 6 damn years. Fuck.

Edited by Rovim

I find the This I Love clip with rasp interesting bc you get the sense that Axl debated rather or not to use rasp on the album.

If he's willing to record two versions I can't imagine how many variations of all the Chinese democracy sessions he has, clearly he put some thought into the album.

I've never liked the vocals on the album so it would have been nice to have a raspy and like someone above said a singular vocal on the album instead of these layered versions we got.

If Axl does do another album I hope he looks into that and gets back to basics in a way. I don't mind that he tried something different, but I think we all would appreciate a fresh and basic approach on a new album.

I have no idea how this 99 rumor started. I've always said and speculated that the vocals have to be from around 2010 (or even 2006).

I also speculate that this song is not one of Brain's remixes because Brain claims he only produced 3 songs.
"producing 3 remixes for Guns n’ Roses from their album Chinese Democracy at the request of Axl Rose "

There were clips of Chinese Democracy, The Blues, and Madagascar in a radio promo for the Boston show in 2002. So we know those vocals were done before then. IRS was played on Eddie Trunk in 2003, so we know that was recorded before then.

• Like 2

http://www.thepwasho...-8mm-interview/

Sean Beavan: Yeah, I worked on it (Chinese Democracy) from like '98 to 2000, something like that.

Juliette Beavan: It was two years.

Sean Beavan: Two years, yeah.

So, have you heard it? Have you heard the finished product?

Sean Beavan: I did hear the finished product.

And are your fingerprints on it at all?

Sean Beavan: You know, it's funny. I thought, it came out 12 years after I did it or something, but I was surprised 'cause Roy Thomas Baker took over and then some other people were doing some stuff on it, and I figured there'd be nothing on there. It turns out almost every vocal track was a vocal track I did.

Really?

Sean Beavan: Yeah, it's like really crazy. I don't think he sang after I

• Like 2