Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

I honestly do not care about any of this. Guns N' Roses has existed just fine without Izzy for years. It's unfortuneate that he's not up there with them, but he wasn't with them during the Illusion tour for the most part, and other than a few appearances he hasn't been there since.

The current lineup are fucking crushing it every time they play, and there is no doubt in my mind that a new album would rock.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He played with Rick Richards on the Ju Ju Hounds album, and still plays with Rick Richards today.

It certainly is subjective but people are putting forth this subjectivity as if it is objectivity and using it in this debate about his non inclusion in Guns N' Roses. There is going to be a rebuttal, from those who like Izzy, me being one - what do you expect? I personally find Axl overrated and annoying in the extreme, but I do not place this forth as objective fact. 

I've seen quite a bit of that behavior on both sides of the debate. And to be honest I rather think this thread is full of much ado about nothing. We all basically suspected/knew that money was the reason Izzy wasn't involved anyway. He just finally confirmed it. So I don't get all the sudden outrage over it.

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

To the people talking about how Slash deserves more than Izzy because of how much he cared about the band (or brand) in the last 25 years, this is what Slash said about his involvement in GNR and how much he cared: 

And I love this one, for those who try to make it look like Izzy and Steven are irrelevant.

"I've always said we were the only five people that could have made that band."

What's the point of these video clips? He wasn't involved with the band at the time. Such a controversial thing to say. "I'm not involved"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

To the people talking about how Slash deserves more than Izzy because of how much he cared about the band (or brand) in the last 25 years, this is what Slash said about his involvement in GNR and how much he cared: 

And I love this one, for those who try to make it look like Izzy and Steven are irrelevant.

"I've always said we were the only five people that could have made that band."

who the fuck has said that???

The argument isnt who cared...Its who remained in the fucking partnership. Slash and Duff remained partnered with Axl in terms of business. we know they quit the band and all shit on each other at different times. 

this is not at all relavant to the thread. 

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Guns N' Posers.

Essentially, this band is dead. They have no future without Izzy. Just tour all of Izzy's hits for the next two years and then drop the next Chinese Democracy turd with Duff and Slash cut and pasted into the mix. Then fuck off to their mansions and count the loot.

What a joke of a band GnR has become. Duff and Slash sure talked a good game all these years. In the end, they're nothing but greedy hypocrites like the redhead. It's disappointing to see what a two faced business man Duff has become. A shame.

LOL, the band Is dead and have no future. I think that may be wishful thinking on your part. I also believe that Axl was the main contributor In terms of song writing although Izzy played a vital role. But as history has shown, the band will continue to tour successfully with or without Izzy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Cant have it one way, and ignore the other.. So its OK for Izzy to want $$, but Axl, Slash and Duff are greedy for no appeasing him??? 

He was forced out of GnR in 1991 when Axl gave him the contract to demote him and lower his percentage in the band. Izzy walked. Axl did the same thing to Slash in '95 and Slash left the band. 

This was a chance for the redhead to fix his bad karma and do the right thing by giving Izzy his rightful stake in the band. Axl, being the greedy asshole that he is, fucked his best friend over...again. To add insult to injury, Duff and Slash were complicit. From Duff's comment about Izzy (if true) -- he may have played a significant role in cutting out Izzy.

Izzy deserves more than the bones they threw at him. 

• Like 2

You tell your neighbors, you tell your friends
I tell you what, you and me hit the end
You gotta move... 
And I got to move... 
'Cause I had enough of you
And all the things you do
Bye bye you betcha, so long
Bye bye you betcha, don't call
Bye bye bye you're gonna hit the wall

love a little bit of Izzy, seems fitting here.

Waiting for him to tweet a cover of The Beatles, You never give me you money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Can you imagine an Izzyless Guns album. Cheesy Slash rockers with electrical techno ontop and ballads. Probably the only redemption will be if Duff does a few punk rockers.

Agreed. Just another irrelevant album like Chinese Democracy that would further tarnish the legacy of this once legendary band.

They can't write a good album without Izzy and history has proven this to be the case. Enjoy more bloated synth ballads and cock rock Axl fans -- if he ever gets around to releasing anything this decade.

What a waste -- this band can't do anything right. Just one trainwreck to the next.

• Like 1

Well this sucks as Izzys great and his contributions to AFD, Lies and UYI are critical but he's being unrealistic with this whole thing. Axl will be taking the biggest slice of the pie followed by slash and duff. Izzy and Steven would then be on the third tier. It's not about anyone's importance or anything, it's seems to me to be the logical split based on Each guys level of ownership of the band, it's catalog, licensing and their history with the band.

Expecting an equal split doesn't mean Izzy got more business savvy, he's just very naive to think it could happen that way. Oh well this whole thing sucks as Izzy is now much farther away from joining the band than he was a few days ago :(

nothing against izzy, but i'd rather focus on the current band.  i just saw 2 fucking killer shows at gillette and metlife and wouldn't have changed a thing.  the band has chemistry and absolutely blew everyone away on stage.  fortus is badass and wants to be part of the band.

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He was forced out of GnR in 1991 when Axl gave him the contract to demote him and lower his percentage in the band. Izzy walked. Axl did the same thing to Slash in '95 and Slash left the band. 

This was a chance for the redhead to fix his bad karma and do the right thing by giving Izzy his rightful stake in the band. Axl, being the greedy asshole that he is, fucked his best friend over...again. To add insult to injury, Duff and Slash were complicit. From Duff's comment about Izzy (if true) -- he may have played a significant role in cutting out Izzy.

Izzy is doing just fine. Quit with $20 million in the bank back in the early 90's. Should be worth well over $75 million with reasonable investment and 25 more years of royalties. He's not a charity case.

Other thing is he gets royalties from the live performances on the tour. Must be a pretty nice life to earn good money sitting on your couch. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ironmt said:

LOL, the band Is dead and have no future. I think that may be wishful thinking on your part. I also believe that Axl was the main contributor In terms of song writing although Izzy played a vital role. But as history has shown, the band will continue to tour successfully with or without Izzy.

So tour, cash out, no new material. Seems to be GnRs MO these days.

Edited by RONIN

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

So 1991-93 all over again. Tour, cash out, no new material.

Any new material they come up with would never match the quality of their classic albums. They are in their 50's. GN'R will always be legendary for those years regardless of anything else that happened later. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RONIN said:

You're literally speculating sordid details based on nothing. How do we know "Axl fucked over his best friend"? What makes you think that Izzy would agree to 2 years on the road with a reunion, when he hasn't done any major touring since he left in the first place?

We hardly know anything about the situation, except one thing Axl said (he didn't know where Izzy stood) and Izzy's tweet. Not enough to bury anyone with yet, I'm afraid.

16 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Did he really tweet that? What was he getting at? Did he tag axl?

Yes it was to Axls Twitter, I was asking about it in the other thread and someone  reminded me he said "you owe me bro". Unfortunately as Izzy takes his tweets down pretty quickly I don't remeber the time frame. At the time I took it to mean he had complied with a request Axl made, but in context of his latest tweet  maybe it was a much more direct statement :shrugs: who knows.

37 minutes ago, RONIN said:

What Axl tried to do back then was despicable, no doubt. According to Izzy, it happened after the first leg of the tour (most likely meaning the first American leg). He has also said that at the same time he had suggested to the band that Axl should be fined for being late on stage (seemingly he was outvoted). It seems that after Izzy refused to sign the contract, Axl backed off about it, because Izzy followed the band for the European leg and left after that for all the reasons he has stated in all his interviews. Some time after he left, he called Axl to see if he was still pissed off with him. I wonder if Axl had a reason to be pissed off with Izzy. I also wonder if the contract was solely an Axl thing or if Slash and Duff had at least consented, because I don't know if the partnership status of the band at that time allowed Axl to make a move like that without the majority's signature.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GNR 1991 said:

You're literally speculating sordid details based on nothing. How do we know "Axl fucked over his best friend"? What makes you think that Izzy would agree to 2 years on the road with a reunion, when he hasn't done any major touring since he left in the first place?

We hardly know anything about the situation, except one thing Axl said (he didn't know where Izzy stood) and Izzy's tweet. Not enough to bury anyone with yet, I'm afraid.

Fair enough. This much is clear though -- clearly Izzy feels disrespected by these guys and it's over money. The band is raking it in playing songs Izzy had a hand in creating. Considering how much money these guys are making, it's hard to sympathize with the fact that they couldn't cut Izzy in equally. It's hard to imagine Izzy being unreasonable over money considering he walked away from the band at the height of their fame and fortune. He lost a lot by doing that. Clearly money wasn't the primary motivator.

But hey, maybe I'm way off and Izzy is being greedy and unreasonable. Hard to believe but I suppose anything is possible with this band.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Riskier than a nutter frontman or a druggy lead guitarist and alchy bassist?

What is that you say? Axl arrives on stage on time and Slosh and McKagan are sober? Well, so are Adler and Izzy!

Well, I think Adler sobriety is shaky at best , too much success, he could easily fall off the wagon again. I think that's another reason the band keeps a tight leash on him.

And in all seriousness, what do we know about Izzy these days?  I know he releases music, but rarely if ever performs live. How do we know he would be capable of a tour of this magnitude? How do we know if he's even sober these days?  I don't think anyone really knows.

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Fair enough. This much is clear though -- clearly Izzy feels disrespected by these guys and it's over money. The band is raking it in playing songs Izzy had a hand in creating. Considering how much money these guys are making, it's hard to sympathize with the fact that they couldn't cut Izzy in equally. It's hard to imagine Izzy being unreasonable over money considering he walked away from the band at the height of their fame and fortune. He lost a lot by doing that. Clearly money wasn't the primary motivator.

But hey, maybe I'm way off and Izzy is being greedy and unreasonable. Hard to believe but I suppose anything is possible with this band.

To be fair, Duff said the UYI Tour struggled to break even due to Axl's backstage parties and showing up late (fines from the promoters). Maybe Izzy didn't miss out on much during that time.

It was stupid to give up his rights on the merchandising side of it. Definitely has lost out on a bunch of money from that. Quit the band but don't give up your partnership rights. 

I'm just proposing perhaps Izzy, who has a history of not exactly enjoying touring (especially stadiums/arenas), couldn't agree to terms that were offered, based on the longevity of the tour. Another issue could be Izzy only wanted to plug in for guest appearances, which I think would alter his earnings significantly and rightfully so.