Is Chinese Democracy the most "Guns" record out of all solo projects?

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Fall to Pieces would have been the next SCOM.  It would have surpassed Illusions material and would have been an all time classic with Axl and Slash.

Some songs come once in a lifetime. Albums as well. Ideas in general. But it would probably have become a great Guns song.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

That track illustrates it perfectly. Even in a Korn/Zombie style the dynamics of the song are so GNR. It has a YCBM meets Locomotive feel too. The same traits are in Shackler's as so many other songs. I think of it as the YCBM of CD. 

I totally hear that.

Shacklers is the best song on CD imo, just ahead of Catcher and Better.

I think it's completely nonsensical to come up with lists from all different eras. I think it just about works mixing Contraband with CD because a) they were recorded in the same time period b) Fall To Pieces has origins dating back to original GNR and c) the Contraband album was recorded with the entire UYI era lineup sans Axl (didn't Izzy even help out in places?). Scott Weiland only got involved with the vocal arrangements, musically speaking, the instrumental tracks were done by GNR minus Axl.

Edited by Towelie

Better combines all the influences.

Catcher is the best song on the album. Amazing that Axl wasn't even sure it will be on Chinese 1. I totally believe it could have easily been omitted by Axl from the album.

There Was A Time is the most epic.

Chinese plays the Jungle role.

Street Of Dreams is Illusion worthy

Shackler's is a Bucket tune that Axl took to the next level, the concept and execution turns it to what it is. Like I don't believe anyone can come up with that other then Axl and Bucket fused together. (besides Korn) Bumble did a stellar job with the solo totally getting the vibe of the tune.

Shackler's and Catcher on the same album is not something that supposed to work but it does.

Edited by Rovim

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Better combines all the influences.

Catcher is the best song on the album. Amazing that Axl wasn't even sure it will be on Chinese 1. I totally believe it could have easily been omitted by Axl from the album.

There Was A Time is the most epic.

Street Of Dreams is Illusion worthy

Shackler's is a Bucket tune that Axl took to the next level, the concept and execution turns it to what it is. Like I don't believe anyone can come up with that other then Axl and Bucket fused together. Bumble did a stellar job with the solo totally getting the vibe of the tune.

Shackler's and Catcher on the same album is not something that supposed to work but it does.

Pleased to meet someone else who "gets" Bumble's solo on Shacklers, I thought I was the only one. I actually can't envision the great Bucket himself coming up with something more audacious and wild. It just fits. It's a crazy, ridiculous, outlandish solo, but it works.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Pleased to meet someone else who "gets" Bumble's solo on Shacklers, I thought I was the only one. I actually can't envision the great Bucket himself coming up with something more audacious and wild. It just fits. It's a crazy, ridiculous, outlandish solo, but it works.

I welcome all of Bumble's additions to Chinese. Welcome to the Bumble. His cheesy wacky guitar style improved Chinese. He filled in the spaces and also added another layer of great guitar work that had a nice contrast to the more unified sound of Bucket and Robin. A more mechanical sound like Bumble talked about. Other Bumble additions are really nice and melodic like for Street Of Dreams or how he pumped up the energy on the last chorus of I.R.S.

But you can tell he felt the most comfortable working on material that was more out there like his own solo work. Shackler's and Chinese are his best original additions.

He gets hate for his work, but I personally think it added something that was actually needed. Ironically I think it did make it more Gn'R in a way.

It also gives me "hope" for CD ll or the vault stuff in connection to Slash. Even if Slash plays the Bumble role, it could still potentially fit.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't care for Bumble on CD.

I get what he was going for but negative space helps the music breathe and provides contrast.

If the 2002 band had re-recorded the entire album sitting in a room together, it would've sounded better. 

That said Shackler's is Buckethead's "Shackler" and Manic Street Preachers "Archives of Pain".

To me it's like he connected all the dots. Some elements were missing. Just sounds more fluid to me. His work makes the album flow better but I can understand why others may feel it's too condense, but Chinese is that type of album anyway. In a sea of layers and guitar players, what's 1 more layer? just add to the pile.

Bumble's style is not for everyone or as easily digested as Robin's or Bucket's style of playing as well.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, DR DOOM said:

Wagszilla is dead on with the negative space comment.

A fine concept for you to consider before every post you make. As Clapton said about negative space: "that's just bollocks".

4 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

It's hard to speak generally without comparing old versions to the finished album so I could articulate opinions / criticisms more succinctly.

I could see myself agreeing that Bumble added something positive but just my general opinion is that on the whole, I liked it better before, especially the mid-2008 Antiquiet version of the album. 

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this point but we can agree that Chinese Democracy is cool.

Yay Guns N' Roses music! High five, friend! :) 

Hopefully the next one will feature additions from Slash and Duff everyone can disagree on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't care for Bumble on CD.

I get what he was going for but negative space helps the music breathe and provides contrast.

If the 2002 band had re-recorded the entire album sitting in a room together, it would've sounded better. 

That said Shackler's is Buckethead's "Shackler" and Manic Street Preachers "Archives of Pain".

I get that reference. It's a strange influnce that the Holy Bible and Angel Dust set the tone for nu metal. That flatter more compressed sound. Riad is another one that sounds like a Holy Bible song. 

29 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

There's nothing good about any of "Bumble's" additions to Chinese Democracy.

Wagszilla is dead on with the negative space comment.

I do like his contributions on 2 tracks; CD & The Blues. I love the fretless rhythm work on CD and I really like the accoustic guitar added near the beginning of The Blues. Totally agree with both of your points overall though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wasted said:

I get that reference. It's a strange influnce that the Holy Bible and Angel Dust set the tone for nu metal. That flatter more compressed sound. Riad is another one that sounds like a Holy Bible song. 

If you had the chance to listen to the Riad leak, Bumble replaced a sub par solo. So even if it's weird, it did more good than harm.

People were not supposed to hear the leaks anyway, and even after listening to it, the studio version of the album sounds fuller with Bumble's work.

The tone is all wrong for Gn'R though, but some tunes were supposed to be something new like Shackler's. Axl liked Bumble's solo better. And on Sorry, which is another Bucket track,

Bumble filled the spaces, he made it 10 times more interesting. Imagine it without his speed metal runs. It added contrast to Bucket's brilliant but clean Sorry solo.

His fretless gave it something the killswitch couldn't.

Edited by Rovim

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yeah but if you had the chance to listen to the Riad leak, Bumble replaced a sub par solo. So even if it's weird, it did more good then harm.

People were not supposed to hear the leaks anyway, and even after listening to it, the studio version of the album sounds fuller with Bumble's work.

The tone is all wrong for Gn'R though, but some tunes were supposed to be something new like Shackler's. Axl liked Bumble's solo better. And on Sorry, which is another Bucket track,

Bumble filled the spaces, he made it 10 times more interesting. Imagine it without his speed metal runs. It added contrast to Bucket's brilliant but clean Sorry solo.

His fretless gave it something the killswitch couldn't.

I think Bumble was the 00s virtuoso. There was this prog metal element to 00s bands like Avenged or Chemical Romance. He updated the sound so it was more 90s in the 00s. Bucket is 90s  to me. 

Shackler's riff does sound like Archives of Pain. Riad is one track I can't place. Immigrant song meets Holy Bible with a Ducati montage solo. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think Bumble was the 00s virtuoso. There was this prog metal element to 00s bands like Avenged or Chemical Romance. He updated the sound so it was more 90s in the 00s. Bucket is 90s  to me. 

Shackler's riff does sound like Archives of Pain. Riad is one track I can't place. Immigrant song meets Holy Bible with a Ducati montage solo. 

Riad is also Hey Bulldog by The Beatles. Bumble talked about how Axl mentioned it to him about Riad and he thought it was funny.

Edited by Rovim

CD is an awful album. The solo on Shacklers is a pathetic attempt at sounding wild and different. It's basically not music. I love experimental music and I know when someone does it because it's their forte and when some do it to try to be something they're not. That's CD - Axl trying to be someone he's not. Ron BF Thal made the record even worse. Buckethead is far superior both in the melodic and experimental parts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wasted said:

That track illustrates it perfectly. Even in a Korn/Zombie style the dynamics of the song are so GNR. It has a YCBM meets Locomotive feel too. The same traits are in Shackler's as so many other songs. I think of it as the YCBM of CD. 

It has absolutely no resemblance to those two songs!!!

''You Could Be Mine'' is the most Appetite-esque song on Illusion; you have in place a Stradlin classic, a riff so sleazy it gives you a STD just listening to it; you have that gigantic build-up; blues rock guitars throughout; a punk-pop chorus - it is a terrific song. ''Locomotive'' is ten minutes long and is build around a chugging Slash riff, and also consists of this big piano outro.

How the heck do they resemble 'Shackler's Revenge'? They neither resemble it melodically, lyrically, in terms of influence. ''Shackler's'', as I recall, consists of one of those nu-metal riffs (basically it is Korn's ''Good God'') and has loads of shite shreddy fretless bollocks and beeps and farts and layers of things whistling off in the background. The lyrics are about guns as I recall.

• Like 4