The final numbers are in - and they are highly inconsistent...

So in a nutshell, everything is in the article... just scroll down and click on blue links.

What's more interesting is if you compare Pollstar to Billboard data that's been given in Wikipedia - NITL tour..

For instance: saying GnR attracted 100 177 crowd at NYC according to Billboard and 88 637 according to Pollstar... There's a lot more of these miscounts like citing different capacities for the same stadium regarding the various bands (GnR/Coldplay - Lincoln Financial Field...etc)

Anyway take a look for yourself... Even River Plate wasn't sold out.. I mean whaaaaaat???

No chance in surpassing U2...

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=828819

Edited by scooby845
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

They rejuvenated the brand and are Top 5 worldwide - it was a successful year

they surely did and it is awesome... I'm just stunned that Bruce Springsteen is the most successful tour...

I don't know one song from him.. *yeah yeah just cause you don't know doesn't mean others don't know...* 

I mean what's the demand for him....? New album? 

6 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

they surely did and it is awesome... I'm just stunned that Bruce Springsteen is the most successful tour...

I mean what's the demand for him....? New album? 

Well he performed the double album The River in it's entirety for the first leg of the tour, which could perhaps be said to be the equivalent of GNR doing a tour where they played both Use your Illusions I and II in their entirety. A lot of those songs had not been played since 81. Then when he returned for the last leg of the tour he performed 4 hour shows with deep cuts from his entire career... during three nights in new jersey he played 66 different tunes, some of them with a string orchestra. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sibidy7 said:

And GNR plays the same city two nights in a row and doesn't have the decency to change even one song.

How unbelievably boring

Well there's two sides to everything. Sure, what Bruce is doing with setlists is great fun and when the chips fall the right way the concert turns into something truly amazing. However, other shows can seem unfocused or lose it's "magic" half-way through... 

Setlist-watching might not be as fun with bands like Metallica and GNR (who rotate perhaps a few songs each concert) or Iron Maiden (who play the same setlist each night), but there is something beautiful with a well thought out and dynamic setlist with nice flow and great transitions between songs.

And with Bruce it's just him and the band onstage with some spotlights. No lasers, no pyro, no backdrop changes or video-screen graphics which certainly makes it easier for him to change songs on a whim.

Edited by Thorbear
  • Like 1

It has nothing to do with keeping track of the setlist. I'm sick of that argument.

It's about seeing a concert versus a show.  An authentic experience and not a movie.  Knowing the band actually cares enough to do something unique.

Not sure why that is so hard for people to understand.

• Like 3

Personnaly, I don't mind to not hear all the greatest hits of a band at a concert. Sure, some of them should be on the ssetlist, but if a number of them are missing and replaced by songs which are never or rarely played live, I actually enjoy it.

It's really a nice change from "always the same, you know ahead which songs will be played for sure anyway".

I can live very well with an AC/DC show without Highway to Hell or Hells Bells or with a Gn'R show without songs like November Rain or Welcome to the Jungle. I'm completely with sibidy7.

Regarding Bruce Springsteen: You must know some songs by him, Born in the USA, Streets of Philadelphia, Dancing in the Dark, Secret Garden....can't be different unless you're from the Mars maybe. :P

Edited by Zurimor

7 hours ago, scooby845 said:

For instance: saying GnR attracted 100 177 crowd at NYC according to Billboard and 88 637 according to Pollstar... There's a lot more of those miscounts like saying Bruce Springsteen attracted 150k for two Metlife shows and we know that's impossible quantity with *chairs on the floor* lol...

The Springsteen figure is for three shows at MetLife. August 23, 25 and 30, with 51,310 people per show.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thorbear said:

And with Bruce it's just him and the band onstage with some spotlights. No lasers, no pyro, no backdrop changes or video-screen graphics which certainly makes it easier for him to change songs on a whim.

GNR should follow suit. Get rid of the cheesy ass pyro and shitty video graphics and broaden the setlist

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J Dog said:

I hate the setlist argument. Besides crazy diehards like us, ain't nobody keeping up with every show and keeping track of the set. I've been to many many concerts in my day, never kept track of shit like that and would have been pissed if I went to them and didn't catch the big favorites. I saw Tom Petty once and he's one of my heroes, I would have been mad as hell if he didn't play Mary Janes Last Dance or Refugee because he played them the night before in another state. And of the 25,000 or so who were at that show, I'm willing to bet 24,000 of them would feel the same way as me.

:facepalm: this annoys me as well. i saw them in Vegas and i was upset because i missed out cos they played TWAT in Mexico City, that i missed Steven, lots i could quibble about. but basically i am happy i just got to see them...BIG bucket list item for me.

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

:facepalm: this annoys me as well. i saw them in Vegas and i was upset because i missed out cos they played TWAT in Mexico City, that i missed Steven, lots i could quibble about. but basically i am happy i just got to see them...BIG bucket list item for me.

Yes! Agree 100% I am so glad I got to do my bucket list item too and see them in SF and am stoked that I can do it again this September! :D That in the end means more than anything. And if they play the same set list, so be it.

• Like 1

Just now, marlingrl03 said:

Yes! Agree 100% I am so glad I got to do my bucket list item too and see them in SF and am stoked that I can do it again this September! :D That in the end means more than anything. And if they play the same set list, so be it.

San Antonio right?? hopefully El Paso for me :D

I do not know why people care about any of this stuff personally. When I was growing up - and still today really - I cared about buying and listening to the albums and seeing the band in person myself. I did not follow corporate data in the slightest. I did not start to get a bit agitated if band x outsell band y. I just don't care about any of this stuff.

Different times I suppose.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not know why people care about any of this stuff personally. When I was growing up - and still today really - I cared about buying and listening to the albums and seeing the band in person myself. I did not follow corporate data in the slightest. I did not start to get a bit agitated if band x outsell band y. I just don't care about any of this stuff.

Different times I suppose.

Not really. I like quite some bands nobody else knows which are great. To some degree, I even enjoy that, but you reminded me to push my Lazuli thread within the next days since that is a band I really want to get the attention they deserve. ;)

Bruce is a global icon who's been working his ass off for decades. 

I love GNR, but I can't say they are icons of hard work. It's more sensationalism and controversy. Bruce could be a loyal friend for life, GNR turn up out of nowhere and bang your mom then disappear into the night. It's two totally different approaches to life. 

• Like 2