A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

13 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

This publicity shot for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie hints that Axl can get away with at least another 20 years of GNR.

C_ub869W0AIFW9K.jpg

Dude I have to checked imdb just to make sure. Why oh Sir ?

Felt same like watching Beckham on King Arthur yesterday. Dude can't even act.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:48 AM, Fourteenbeers said:

2002 sounds better - it's not good - but still not a Mickey Mouse either.

:facepalm:  ...:lol:...:facepalm:....:lol:.....:facepalm: ....etc.

I think I've turned this thread into a Mickey Mouse club... better stop now..

this one is better...when mickey spits always cracks me up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is not really a criticism per se, merely an observation, but it seems to be a tour designed to see once and only once and strike from your bucket list, i.e., an 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience analogous to a West End musical and not really an organically functioning band. It is a bit like ascending the Eiffel Tower: you go up; it is impressive being that high up - certainly; you come down; You can now tell people, ''I've been up the Eiffel Tower'' (sounds fruity olde boy?), but you will never go back up as that would be a complete waste of time and money.

No, its not. I vouch for that

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is not really a criticism per se, merely an observation, but it seems to be a tour designed to see once and only once and strike from your bucket list, i.e., an 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience analogous to a West End musical and not really an organically functioning band. It is a bit like ascending the Eiffel Tower: you go up; it is impressive being that high up - certainly; you come down; You can now tell people, ''I've been up the Eiffel Tower'' (sounds fruity olde boy?), but you will never go back up as that would be a complete waste of time and money.

As much as I usually appreciate your posts, I dont agree with this. Why? 'cause its too early to say the reunion is a waste of time.

Its just a year and a half since they got back together, and I'm pretty sure the whole first year was the three of 'em testing waters to see if their relationship would work as we all know the past dramas. It was about retrieving and remembering the past, no doubt about that.

It seems to me that, right now, they are ready to start thinking about the future. Their relationship seems good, tour is sucessful and aside some minor issues, band is killing.

We all need to chill a little bit and try to understand their situation, they couldnt just get back together releasing songs and stuff, its not that easy when you have so much shit around you all the time, maybe it'll happen on the coming leg of the tour, maybe in one or two years, maybe it wont happen.

Right now I think its too soon to start throwing shit on the guys.

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, default_ said:

As much as I usually appreciate your posts, I dont agree with this. Why? 'cause its too early to say the reunion is a waste of time.

Its just a year and a half since they got back together, and I'm pretty sure the whole first year was the three of 'em testing waters to see if their relationship would work as we all know the past dramas. It was about retrieving and remembering the past, no doubt about that.

I

I got to see Axl, Slash and Duff perform songs like Out ta Get Me, Jungle, Estranged, It's So Easy and Nightrain together again... The lineup could be vastly improved but I wouldn't say the tour has been a waste of timeby any means.

I'm certainly hoping for new music, but either way I'm psyched as hell to see at least 2 more shows this summer. Even if this is just a money grab, they're at least bringing a fantastic live show. They could've done what Motley did and just put a bunch of bombs, pyro and a fucking roller coaster on stage and play 15 songs and leave. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, default_ said:

It seems to me that, right now, they are ready to start thinking about the future. Their relationship seems good, tour is sucessful and aside some minor issues, band is killing.

We all need to chill a little bit and try to understand their situation, they couldnt just get back together releasing songs and stuff, its not that easy when you have so much shit around you all the time, maybe it'll happen on the coming leg of the tour, maybe in one or two years, maybe it wont happen.

i land somewhere in the middle of these two opinions, i get the going up the eiffel tower thing, it's AMAZING to see Axl/Slash/Duff share the stage again, but every night the sets are the same, the shows are very predictable down to the movements almost, and generally speaking not the sort of thing one would need to see twice like going up the tower.  but i see Default's point too… i too believe this first leg was all about seeing how they got along, how the shows went, crowd response, etc.  the gnr reunion potentially could've been a nightmare had things gone the other way.  so my opinion is IF gnr start a new chapter, renewed relationships, renewed writing partnerships, new album(s), and with the new fresh material go out into the world a reborn band, then i think it will be worth watching this band, again and again for a long time to come.  

but if they ever tour again with this lineup, this setlist, i'll root for them from the sidelines and catch clips on youtube.  

10 hours ago, default_ said:

Barely any of this is pertinent to what I said!

To surmise what DieselDaisy said, the hype has faded and the shows have a "one-off"/event status with no repeat value. Like going to see Avatar just for the 3D but having no inclination to ever see that movie again.

Compare that movie to Terminator 2 which had event status and tons of repeat value. NITL lacks the substance to attract that kind of business. 

Basically, we need the great and legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger to team up with Guns N' Roses again. If a machine can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RONIN said:

To surmise what DieselDaisy said, the hype has faded and the shows have a "one-off"/event status with no repeat value. Like going to see Avatar just for the 3D but having no inclination to ever see that movie again.

Compare that movie to Terminator 2 which had event status and tons of repeat value. NITL lacks the substance to attract that kind of business. 

Basically, we need the great and legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger to team up with Guns N' Roses again. If a machine can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.

Says you.....I saw them last year in SF and am just as excited to see them this fall in San Antonio. Actually I am more so because they put on a kickass show, which I cant wait to experience again. :) I know that I am not the only one seeing them again with the same feelings. Sure some here may agree with how you feel....but not me. Bring on the repeat shows! :headbang:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

You and @DieselDaisy are probably right. It's a one time deal for me too. I still don't know why people keep calling it a reunion (I don't know if anyone in the GN'R -camp has called it that?).

For me this is "Take what you can get "-tour. I've been too young to see them last time they visited my country in the early 90's, during UYI-tour (I don't count the 2 gigs here in 2006 Guns N' Roses concerts, it was Axl Rose & hired guns)

So this is  very likely the only chance too see them here. The classic lineup is what I wanted to see, I would be ready to travel abroad just for that. But for this lineup.. I get to see  Axl, Slash and Duff and that's it. The rest of the band... I don't care who's on stage, as long as they don't fuck up the songs. I hope the gig will be good and I enjoy myself. 

This is from the official  Gn'R site: the Struts - their singer Luke Spiller looks a lot like young Keith Richards doesn't he? 

large.jpg

Edited by Fourteenbeers
typo
  • Like 1

It strikes me as a 'show', i.e. a set piece, to see 'Axl and Slash again'. It is fixed rigid like a show - also you might add ticket prices must deter repeat viewings. My main point is that it is a show worth seeing once - a 'must see' you might say? - but whose interest deteriorates significantly after that initial viewing. I was of course speaking of a broader fanbase than the ones who post on forums - indeed, there are people who go to multiple viewings of Phantom of the Opera in the West End. Another way to put it is, if you could imagine this on a graph, the drop off in interest from show one to two slumps significantly when compared with other acts, but so long as you are still on your 'show one' then I do not believe there is a (to use the colloquial) hotter ticket in town.

I see no evidence of this returning to a functioning band which would entail writing together and albums. Guns N' Roses now solely exist as a legacy setpiece show. This will go on for years.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You and @DieselDaisy are probably right. It's a one time deal for me too. I still don't know why people keep calling it a reunion (I don't know if anyone in the GN'R -camp has called it that?).

For me this is "Take what you can get "-tour. I've been too young to see them last time they visited my country in the early 90's, during UYI-tour (I don't count the 2 gigs here in 2006 Guns N' Roses concerts, it was Axl Rose & hired guns)

So this is  very likely the only chance too see them here. The classic lineup is what I wanted to see, I would be ready to travel abroad just for that. But for this lineup.. I get to see  Axl, Slash and Duff and that's it. The rest of the band... I don't care who's on stage, as long as they don't fuck up the songs. I hope the gig will be good and I enjoy myself. 

This is from the official  Gn'R site: the Struts - their singer Luke Spiller looks a lot like young Keith Richards doesn't he? 

large.jpg

Where was this posted on the site? I hope they open some more shows this tour. I saw them again last Friday and they are an incredible band! 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It strikes me as a 'show', i.e. a set piece, to see 'Axl and Slash again'. It is fixed rigid like a show - also you might add ticket prices must deter repeat viewings. My main point is that it is a show worth seeing once - a 'must see' you might say? - but whose interest deteriorates significantly after that initial viewing. I was of course speaking of a broader fanbase than the ones who post on forums - indeed, there are people who go to multiple viewings of Phantom of the Opera in the West End. Another way to put it is, if you could imagine this on a graph, the drop off in interest from show one to two slumps significantly when compared with other acts, but so long as you are still on your 'show one' then I do not believe there is a (to use the colloquial) hotter ticket in town.

I see no evidence of this returning to a functioning band which would entail writing together and albums. Guns N' Roses now solely exist as a legacy setpiece show. This will go on for years.

i think you're spot on although i hope you're wrong about the "returning to a functioning band" part.  "a legacy set piece show" that will go on for years - well put.  again i hope you're wrong but money's a motherfucker and these guys can milk this for many moons.  

11 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

i think you're spot on although i hope you're wrong about the "returning to a functioning band" part.  "a legacy set piece show" that will go on for years - well put.  again i hope you're wrong but money's a motherfucker and these guys can milk this for many moons.  

I hope I am wrong also.

3 hours ago, GoBucky said:

Where was this posted on the site? I hope they open some more shows this tour. I saw them again last Friday and they are an incredible band! 

They opened for Guns last year in SF and did great and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them again. :) That lead singer has an amazing style...you couldn't keep your eyes off him! 

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 3:30 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes and no. Would I go see them again if they came around exactly like they did?  Yes. After going to the gig, did it feel like everything I'd built up in my head for almost 10 years?  No,  it didn't.  Did the band perform their arses off ? Sure did. So why wasn't it a 10/10 for me? Same reasons I've always said in order:

1. The MCG is made for cricket and footy, not Guns N' Roses.

2. Too many covers still,  didn't understand why we had to miss Coma to fit in Angus Young - it was good having him but it's s Guns concert,  not ACDC. Why does KOHD still have to go for 10 minutes? Play the normal song and throw in another UYI song instead. 

3. Messrs Isbell and Adler.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Drama said:

Yes and no. Would I go see them again if they came around exactly like they did?  Yes. After going to the gig, did it feel like everything I'd built up in my head for almost 10 years?  No,  it didn't.  Did the band perform their arses off ? Sure did. So why wasn't it a 10/10 for me? Same reasons I've always said in order:

1. The MCG is made for cricket and footy, not Guns N' Roses.

2. Too many covers still,  didn't understand why we had to miss Coma to fit in Angus Young - it was good having him but it's s Guns concert,  not ACDC. Why does KOHD still have to go for 10 minutes? Play the normal song and throw in another UYI song instead. 

3. Messrs Isbell and Adler.

Defacing the MCG with something as re-pungent as a rock band. Keith Miller would be turning in his grave.