A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

Just now, jacdaniel said:

more or less.  For years people wanted Axl and Slash back together.  Lots of people said they'd be satisfied if they were even just on friendly terms.

They are back in Guns together along with Duff, touring the world, playing almost 3 hour long sets including Coma and Double Talkin Jive to sold out crowds.

Even if they did an original 5 reunion and released a blue-ray of the show, I can assure you some people would still say new music or nothing.

I meant in relation to a new album. Your statement that a ''new album'' wouldn't satisfy people is not really a theory grounded in much empirical evidence being that the band do not release albums (only been one album in twenty-six years)!

In my humble opinion, I think a simple hard rock album coming from this lineup would satisfy the fanbase. Except for the Izzy diehards.

Slash did an amazing job on World on Fire, Id say leave it to Slash then let Axl throw one or two Elton Jhon balads on it and there we have it. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

On 30.5.2017 at 11:49 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I meant in relation to a new album. Your statement that a ''new album'' wouldn't satisfy people is not really a theory grounded in much empirical evidence being that the band do not release albums (only been one album in twenty-six years)!

There is no way a new album would silence all complaints. I can picture endless debates if the album is any good, a total sell-out, a development in the wrong direction, too much or too little input by a certain band member, etc. See where I'm going?

Regarding the question where I stand with Gn'R a year later:  I'm still excited, but will probably get bored if no creative output is following the tour (at all). But I guess I won't be bitter and just move on. Imho the band can do  whatever they want and I "take" it if I like it.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

There is no way a new album would silence all complaints. I can picture endless debates if the album is any good, a total sell-out, a development in the wrong direction, too much or too little input by a certain band member, etc. See where I'm going?

Regarding the question where I stand with Gn'R a year later:  I'm still excited, but will probably get bored of no creative output is following the tour (at all). But I guess I won't be bitter and just move on. Imho the band can do  whatever they want and I "take" it if I like it.

You're not even given the chance (to dislike an album or otherwise); some people - maybe - would like that opportunity.

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

The continued focus on Chinese Democracy is getting annoying........

Agreed, while I appreciate songs being played that haven't been played often or at all on this tour.  Play some actual Guns N Roses songs, not covers, not Material from Axls solo record.

• Like 2

Personally, I want new music, and in my opinion, the nostalgic touring cheapens the brand,  and catalogue.  Even if one new song, whether new new music,  or from CDll, was released once per year, it would add legitimacy to the tour and give the fan something to follow. 

Why does GnR like playing covers so much?

There is no good excuse for why there are so many covers played on this tour. 1 or 2 covers - fine, that's tolerable albeit gratuitous. But 30-40% of the setlist being comprised of covers? Simply atrocious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Why does GnR like playing covers so much?

There is no good excuse for why there are so many covers played on this tour. 1 or 2 covers - fine, that's tolerable albeit gratuitous. But 30-40% of the setlist being comprised of covers? Simply atrocious. 

I'm always in a weird place with GN'R covers. There's stuff like LALD and KOHD that are covers but I bet most people don't even realize that. I personally couldn't care less to hear either ever again, but many casual fans view them as hits so they'd complain if they weren't there.

I get the addition of Black Hole Sun and I'm not mad about it but I truly don't get regularly doing shit like The Seeker. If they did things like that as a one off every so often, like Sailing or Back In The USSR for example, I'd be totally fine with it. But GN'R has a TON of songs that never get played that so many of us would want to hear. Even a casual fan who might be bored by or doesn't know Pretty Tied Up isn't going to get a bunch more excited by the inclusion of The Seeker over it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm always in a weird place with GN'R covers. There's stuff like LALD and KOHD that are covers but I bet most people don't even realize that. I personally couldn't care less to hear either ever again, but many casual fans view them as hits so they'd complain if they weren't there.

I get the addition of Black Hole Sun and I'm not mad about it but I truly don't get regularly doing shit like The Seeker. If they did things like that as a one off every so often, like Sailing or Back In The USSR for example, I'd be totally fine with it. But GN'R has a TON of songs that never get played that so many of us would want to hear. Even a casual fan who might be bored by or doesn't know Pretty Tied Up isn't going to get a bunch more excited by the inclusion of The Seeker over it. 

100% in agreement. No sense at all in playing covers when there are still so many Illusion deep cuts remaining. For a band lineup that has been MIA for a quarter of a century, I can confidently say that people want to hear Guns N' Roses songs first and foremost from them over any cover song. The whole thing is quite baffling really. Why is one of their biggest hits "Don't Cry" rotated on the setlist while a minor hit cover like LALD gets a permanent slot? "Don't Cry" should be played every show.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RONIN said:

100% in agreement. No sense at all in playing covers when there are still so many Illusion deep cuts remaining. For a band lineup that has been MIA for a quarter of a century, I can confidently say that people want to hear Guns N' Roses songs first and foremost from them over any cover song. The whole thing is quite baffling really. Why is one of their biggest hits "Don't Cry" rotated on the setlist while a minor hit cover like LALD gets a permanent slot? "Don't Cry" should be played every show.  

Even better why does the fucking seeker get played every show....a song they never recorded, over arguably one of their five most influential and important tunes every night (don't cry or patience....)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Even better why does the fucking seeker get played every show....a song they never recorded, over arguably one of their five most influential and important tunes every night (don't cry or patience....)

I get Ronins overall point, but I'm far more upset by The Seeker being included every night as opposed to LALD. A lot of GN'R fans love LALD, whether I do or not. The Seeker on the other hand... I know no one that's cared when it was played. How is that an every night thing but so many other actual GNR songs are not? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I get Ronins overall point, but I'm far more upset by The Seeker being included every night as opposed to LALD. A lot of GN'R fans love LALD, whether I do or not. The Seeker on the other hand... I know no one that's cared when it was played. How is that an every night thing but so many other actual GNR songs are not? 

My guess is that Axl actually cares about the song. Iirc they started playing it quite a bit before the current tour, right? It's probably meaningful to him and he likes to perform it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Because they kill it on "The Seeker" and it sounds great?! Jesus nit picking on setlists, number of overs etc. Just be glad they're up on stage together at all. They're touring the world putting on great show and people are loving it.

16 minutes ago, blackrose87 said:

Because they kill it on "The Seeker" and it sounds great?! Jesus nit picking on setlists, number of overs etc. Just be glad they're up on stage together at all. They're touring the world putting on great show and people are loving it.

I'd rather an old school Guns song but I don't mind the Seeker.. I think Axl is great on it and always seems really into it.. 

1 hour ago, blackrose87 said:

So bc you think it sounds great and they are killing is all that matters.

how about you stick to your opinion that you're cool with it being in the set and I'll stick with me that it's ridiculous.   

But, telling me what I should be glad about can be shoved right up your ass.

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

So bc you think it sounds great and they are killing is all that matters.

how about you stick to your opinion that you're cool with it being in the set and I'll stick with me that it's ridiculous.   

But, telling me what I should be glad about can be shoved right up your ass.

ooooo touchey at all?

Edited by blackrose87

5 hours ago, lilacmess said:

My guess is that Axl actually cares about the song. Iirc they started playing it quite a bit before the current tour, right? It's probably meaningful to him and he likes to perform it.

The song has been performed live at least since 2012. 

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I really like The Seeker:nervous:

I like it as well, but maybe more if it was on record than in a live setting. It kinda just sits in the middle of the encore unnecessarily.

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Excitement gone for me. New arena shows killed it for me. Axl sounding like 2012 again after the NA Leg killed it a second time. I'm pretty much done, had a blast for a while though.

Goodby,good life?