07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

1 minute ago, supercool said:

It would be plain ridiculous and silly to celebrate the AFD 30th anniversary without the original line-up.

It's common sense, not a matter of opinion.

That's why more than likely it will be Fortus and Frank on stage. Because with Guns N' Roses, everything is "fucked up and out of place".

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

And I'll never understand why you guys are so bothered with Izzy having fans...

Sorry but I don't think that " so bothered with Izzy having fans " is the right sentence, at all! In my case, what bothered me is the fact that some of the Izzy's fans attached and disrespect the other guys in the band just because Izzy is not there. C'mom.. The guy chose to leave and the guy chose to not come back..Unless the things are exactly the way he wants..And I have my suspicions that he don't wanna come back to the band, simple like that..It's not his think anymore..People change..Even for his own career he gives a fuck! So some of us here just insist in don't letting go..

• Like 3

People have to let go of the idea of the afd band and the gang thing. That was 85-88 but from then on the gang mentality went, and it became about what's best for business. That's not a negative comment about them "selling out" it's just a fact of the music industry, and how these things usually go. 

If the afd band did get back together, maybe they would sound like they used to, but I'd guess they would be quite a bit different, not just from a vocal perspective. What made those early years explosive was inexperience musically, so the timing was up and down, they'd also play songs at a million million miles an hour.

Each member of the band has progressed a lot since, Steven still has his natural swing and makes afd songs sound great, but he's a lot more aware than he was back then, he's replicating rather than 'going for it'. Slash is WAY more reserved as a player. Axl is not a wild man any more, and he doesn't have the same voice, duff is duff and he'll likely never change, and same goes for Izzy. 

For nostalgic reasons we'd all like to see it, but I think I'm being pretty balanced with the above. Some things should be left alone, and that has been proven with a bunch of reunions... Some might argue the points been proven with the nitl tour (I'm on the fence, personally)... Irregardless of how well the tour is doing with gross sales worldwide... I think a lot of long time fans like me, are kind of left asking "is this it?". Although, if they came out with consistent knockout performances that opinion could easily change.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just because someone talks, wishes or dreams about Izzy being a part of the show doesn't make them a hater...

Hater, no. Whines and complainer, yes. It's been over a year since this reunion and the toooc of Izzy persist. It's like your lover hanging some trivial event over your head for a year; you think to yourself:get over it and move on. For fucks sake.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, supercool said:

It would be plain ridiculous and silly to celebrate the AFD 30th anniversary without the original line-up.

It's common sense, not a matter of opinion.

25th anniversary was without Slash and Axl...and they still had that sort of celebration.

Besides, Sirius refers to the show as "the kickoff of the northamerican tour".

Still...i have some hope LOL

Just now, BorderlineCrazy said:

How long did the complaints about Slash not being there lasted? Over 15 years? Turned out those "crybabies" who wanted him back had a point, the band has been on a different level from every perspective (sound, energy, success, relevance...) ever since he came back. Are they still considered crybabies? What about those who used to tell others to enjoy the band and that it was better than the original while we had DJ Ashba, Bumblefoot, Pitman, etc. in the lineup? Are they the ultimate, most hardcore fans? Are they some lunatics who would support a certain member of the band no matter what?

It's easy for those who only care about Slash and Axl to move on and enjoy the band as it is. For those who care about Izzy and Steven too it's as hard as it was for Slash's fans for over a decade.

I don't even know how we got to this point again since the show hasn't even happened yet but whatever :lol:

Slash is Slash. Izzy is Izzy. Two different musical entities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starlight said:

Latest news: people on this board who are Izzy or Steven fans should not be speaking lol you can't support GNR and at the same time have them as your favourite 

I can't support GnR and at the same time have them as my favorite? The ones that are in AFD with Izzy in Lies and UYI too? Really man? Like I ain't supporting them after seeing 1 show of NITL and having another ticket for an upcoming one... 

Public Enemy celebrated their 30th anniversary by dropping a free album earlier this month - they thanked their fans and stated that this one was on them. They've also, over the last year or so, done free concerts. Guns N' Roses, on the other hand, choose to celebrate the 30th anniversary of AfD with an exclusive show hardly any fan can get tickets for, and that you can only listen to through a subscriber service that's only available in the US. :facepalm:

I love the band, I honestly do, but I cannot help questioning their decisions at times. I know they don't owe us a single thing. I know they're a brand. I know they want to make money. But sometimes, when you hit a landmark achievement, a little kindness goes a long way. It's a way of saying, "We made it this far, together, and that's really cool."

Like, it would have been great if this concert were streamed globally, freely available to anyone who wanted to experience it with them. That would have been massive and I am sure that lots of people would have appreciated it.

Oh well, it is what it is. Hope it's a good concert, and I hope that they and everyone there have fun. It still is a big achievement that Guns N' Roses is still going, that they're still rocking, and it looks like they'll keep on going for the foreseeable future. So I cannot complain too much.

Just... I think of how amazing things could be and yeah... :facepalm:

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up.. But even if we did, you know they wouldn't give us the satisfaction of seeing the AFD5 do the whole album.. What one or two songs do you think they would do?

If I was a betting man...which i am actually id Guess Nightrain, Your Crazy & Dont Cry towards the the end of the show....we can all pray & hope:headbang:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

"I'm going to go on a Guns N' Roses forum...and tell them to stop caring about Guns N' Roses/Izzy and Steven because I have opinions too and people need to hear them! When they point out how stupid I am I'll just say they're whining and nothing ever pleases them, hehe!"

:facepalm: You know what would please me, motherfricker? If you would shut your gosh darn frickin' mouth for 5minutes because you're already ruining the frickin' thread!

I lol'd 

I really get both sides of this. In the end, we're all here to share our opinions but I totally get how it's irritating for both sides to see constant posts from the opposite. In many ways I do agree that sometimes it seems like many fans aren't going to be happy no matter what. On the other hand, I know for a fact that many that are seen as "constantly bitching" etc truly just want greatness from GN'R.

It's like the Frank thing; I happen to love Frank and think he's the best drummer they've ever had. I know many, MANY people feel the exact opposite way though and they're of course free to post about it all they want. I find that more thread derailing comes from people actually attaching each other than would ever come from people just stating their side or how they feel differently. 

I happen to like the current lineup so for me, everything tonight rests squarely on Axl's shoulders. I can understand how there are many other things for people to focus on though especially in light of it being a BIG anniversary and their not liking the current lineup and/or just plain wanting what they feel is due respect to the originals. To me, there's no reason for anyone on either side of that argument to be seen as bitchers, whiners or complainers. We're all fans and I'll always defend the fact that we all want what's best for GN'R. Some of us just have differing opinions of what's best, that's all.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Something else just crossed my mind and this is more of a general public thing than it will be for us forum users:

I wonder if a lot of people will be bitching tomorrow about how "Axl came on late as always!". The opener isn't even going on til 9 which means that GN'R won't be on til 10:30 at the earliest and probably closer to 11, which is right on time. I'm guessing a lot of people will just ignore that fact and bitch up a storm about how they were "late" just due to the regularly scheduled start time that they mistake for a late start.

• Like 2

Can't wait for Think About You (hoping for KILLER-like-2016, not the 2001-2002 versions) and of course Anything Goes.

Possibly Steven will be behind the drum kit. But Izzy? Why you get your hope so high? He will be here with us in this topic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's as if with each word of this sentence my eyebrows decided to go higher and higher! :lol::facepalm:

:lol: I know, I know, I know. Allow me to throw more gas on the blaze; Robin is my favorite guitarist they've ever had and Chinese Democracy is my favorite album of theirs!

Neither of these statements are meant to troll, start shit, be ironic or anything else along those lines. They're my true and honest opinions though they're incredibly different from so many others on here. Different strokes and all that, ya know?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

And WTF does that mean? Seems like people here simply don't have "it" to understand that what made GNR was the alchemy of ALL the 5 dudes... 

While that is true, Izzy isn't Slash. Slash is widely regarded as one of the most iconic and best lead guitarists ever. Izzy is not. It's an objective fact. I do appreciate Izzy's contributions greatly, as I do of all the others. Izzy left in 1991, the world didn't really care. The world did care when Slash left. It's as simple as that.

Again, I do recognise Izzy's importance in the band's history and the songs, it would be silly denying that. And I would love if they wrote songs together, but Izzy isn't Slash.

And those 5 young guys will never come back, Jesus, it's half a lifetime ago.

Also, about ruining the thread. LOL. Most threads aren't ruined by people who are positive.

• Like 1