07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Come on, man, I agree with most of what you just said, but let's not exaggerate.

I'm not exaggerating, Izzy is a creator , a true artist, an originator , Izzy is god , lol! Seriously, the man is skilled and everything about him is right, he is GnR, it's so noticeable without him that it's distracting . I know im participating in some bloated, money grab for guys who don't care one bit about GnR, just capitalizing off of an oppprtunity and who want to brainwash idiots that that blue smurf was always there, just behind the kit, remember? And that frank doesn't beat the drums like some mindless robot or force axl to break into a rap at times.  But I'll never not notice Izzy and Adler's abscene or how 2-faced "nice guy" duff is every bit as callous as axl.  It's not GnR, but because they abruptly left, there are a lot of us who never got to see them and were reeling for decades and we are just trying to fill the void. No one can replace Izzy, he is the master.

It seems Beta has just confirmed neither Izzy or Steven are going to be there so... I think to keep this shit going on here is pointless.

Like it or not this is the band now and keep bitching about it will not bring AFD5 back. What we can do is expect for the best. 

Fortus is good, you guys seem to ignore his work oustide GNR but he actually did good creating music for a lot of genres, and Melissa is Zig Zag, Tracey, Roberta and the whole horns sections in just one person, a necessary evil. 

Frank still bothers me but what Im going to do? 

This is the band now. Like it or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pishy said:

I'm not exaggerating, Izzy is a creator , a true artist, an originator , Izzy is god , lol! Seriously, the man is skilled and everything about him is right, he is GnR, it's so noticeable without him that it's distracting . I know im participating in some bloated, money grab for guys who don't care one bit about GnR, just capitalizing off of an oppprtunity and who want to brainwash idiots that that blue smurf was always there, just behind the kit, remember? And that frank doesn't beat the drums like some mindless robot or force axl to break into a rap at times.  But I'll never not notice Izzy and Adler's abscene or how 2-faced "nice guy" duff is every bit as callous as axl.  It's not GnR, but because they abruptly left, there are a lot of us who never got to see them and were reeling for decades and we are just trying to fill the void. No one can replace Izzy, he is the master.

I'm not that much into worshipping other people as you clearly are, but I agree that he's great, terrific songwriter, etc. But I only called you out on the ''highly skilled guitarist'' comment. That's pushing it a bit.

10 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about :facepalm:

Half of UYI was written with or before the AFD material.

Half of UYI was written by or with Izzy.

Over half of the GNR catalogue was written by or with Izzy.

Slash hardly ever wrote anything for GNR (aside from solos obviously).

Duff wrote even less.

Slash and Duff weren't even in the band yet, when some (classic) GNR songs were written ...

Strictly speaking from a songwriting point of view, the reason the last GNR album with original material was released in '91, is because Izzy left even before it was released.  It all went downhill from there and ended in '96.

GNR died when Izzy left.

RIP.

How can you say Slash hardly wrote anything for GN'R? That's simply not true. And Duff wrote even less? Also not true. I know people want to defend Izzy's legacy but let's not get carried away here. 

11 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about :facepalm:

Half of UYI was written with or before the AFD material.

Half of UYI was written by or with Izzy.

Over half of the GNR catalogue was written by or with Izzy.

Slash hardly ever wrote anything for GNR (aside from solos obviously).

Duff wrote even less.

Slash and Duff weren't even in the band yet, when some (classic) GNR songs were written ...

Strictly speaking from a songwriting point of view, the reason the last GNR album with original material was released in '91, is because Izzy left even before it was released.  It all went downhill from there and ended in '96.

GNR died when Izzy left.

RIP.

Out of likes but basically all true. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Axl, don't wear your boots tonight. Wear tennis shoes. We don't want you to break your foot, leg, or hip on this small stage.

No shit man!  I was I Vegas and going to StL.  If that happens again I'll be pissed!!!

in hundsight maybe I'm the bad luck charm. Of the 6 times I've seen GnR, Axl was in a boot at both the Deer Creek shows in 1991 and then chairbound at both. Vegas shows,  so, 4/6 he's been hobbled :(

On 19/7/2017 at 9:18 AM, alfierose said:

We created this as a show update thread to make it easier for people wanting real time updates, the other one is a bit more general discussion. I think there is room for both but I'll put your suggestion to the rest of the mod team.

Just saying :shrugs:

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I'm not that much into worshipping other people as you clearly are, but I agree that he's great, terrific songwriter, etc. But I only called you out on the ''highly skilled guitarist'' comment. That's pushing it a bit.

Saying he was god was a joke because as I wrote the sentence, it was obvious I do think very highly of him. Worshipping? Is that your way to negate the truth about Izzy? The worshippers are the ones that just look for the GnR name and say "I'm the biggest fan , of all of them!" Like it demonstrates some sort of necessary dedication or sophistication . Just means you're a mindless stooge. The band is Izzy! Never going to change. And yes, he is highly skilled, there is no debate there. 

Just now, Pishy said:

Saying he was god was a joke because as I wrote the sentence, it was obvious I do think very highly of him. Worshipping? Is that your way to negate the truth about Izzy? The worshippers are the ones that just look for the GnR name and say "I'm the biggest fan , of all of them!" Like it demonstrates some sort of necessary dedication or sophistication . Just means you're a mindless stooge. The band is Izzy! Never going to change. And yes, he is highly skilled, there is no debate there. 

Fortus is highly skilled, that guy with the bucket on his head is highly skilled, Slash is highly skilled, although one could argue about that even. Izzy isn't a highly skilled guitarist. That doesn't mean he isn't good enough to do what he does on the guitar and that he isn't a great songwriter. Fuck, even Duff who has only ever said nice things about the man, has gone on record saying he wasn't a great guitarist. And that's okay, most guitarists in rock bands aren't highly skilled, but you don't need to be.

Anyway, I'm not getting into another Izzy discussion, it's been done too many times.

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

Okay guys and gals, enough with the Steven and Izzy arguments.  That is not what this thread is meant for.  

Today is a special day for GNR fans and discussions relating to who should be in the band can be held elsewhere on this forum.  All future posts relating to Steven and Izzy and why they should be (or are not) on stage tonight will be removed from this thread.  

Thanks!

Here you go everyone!

Please keep show updates & discussion in this thread and PLEASE take ALL Izzy & Steven related discussion here:
http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/218753-apollo-show-izzy-steven-not-playing-argue-about-it-here/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Anyone else (without tickets) going to hang out around the Apollo before the show or am I the only person with too much free time on my hands? 

I'm feeling delusional, so I'm going . A few are already there, wouldn't recommend that though, closer to show time seems more logical, if we can even call this behavior logical.

Once again, this thread is meant to be used to discuss tonight's show.

It is not for arguing/debating matters that have been discussed for literally decades.  Please take non-topic discussions elsewhere in this forum.

Thanks!