"Going Down" 2 years later...

It needed Axl's vocals to really be a true nugnr song. As it was it was an ok song, but it didn't feel gnr enough for me. Classic gnr could get away with Izzy or Duff singing, nugnr can not get away with anyone else other than Axl singing.

It reminded me a lot of Dead Flowers on Gilby's album. I liked it but didn't really think of it as a GnR song.

When I first heard it, I was on a trip to Bali, and everytime I hear the song again, I kinda make a scene in my head about Bali. So, I guess it a relaxing song with a very chilling scent. Also the song to me is... imaginary.. get it?

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bump this but I was listening to the song and forgot how great it is.

It makes you wonder if we'll ever see it officially released because it was well received for the most part. Axl did sort of allude to he might still release GNR stuff without Slash at the China exchange recently didn't he? Or is Tommy and Bumble being gone officially put an end to that era of nu guns? 

I think it's a great song and I'd love to hear a finished version without the vocals buried in the mix. It has an earthy, catcher in the eye/ IRS demo vibe to me. It would have been cool to see  that style of album. 

• Like 1

I didn't like the song when I first heard it, sounded so mediocre. But now that I listened to it, it's still mediocre, but I just might give it a listen or two. If they released the completely mixed version. It's too demo now, Axl's vocals on the backround sound ridiculous at times.

I think the song gets over valued. Its a decent song, I have nothing against it. Comparing it to UTLH is a bit of a stretch, if anything, it's the NUgnr version of you ain't the first. Which I would still put You ain't the first a head of Going Down.

I think a lot of the appeal for Going Down is that it was a more back to basics type song. It wasn't NUmetal, or anything remotely Chinese. I think these feelings play a bigger role than the actual quality of the song. Also having Axl only singing back up on a NUgnr song just feels wrong. It feels more like a Tommy Stinson song than a gnr song. Axl could sing back up with classic gnr and it still worked, but not with NUgnr. 

If Axl sang lead, and we got a more "finished" version, I would probably like it better. But as it is, it's mediocre at best.  Honestly I never listen to it anymore, along with all of the Ashba and BBF betters. They are pretty much forgotten by me these days.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ