British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

I've heard some other pro-remain people say the same thing, that they're tired and just want it done, but I don't really get that point of view - if you believe it's going to be a disaster then surely you shouldn't want it to happen at all.

It's more a pragmatic view of the consequences of dragging it out any further. A no deal is likely to be catastrophic and article 50 isn't getting revoked at this point no matter how much I may want it to be. Even if it was I think that the impact on the country would kick the fuck out of us for years to come. 

I don't want to leave and I believe that the deal will make us all poorer but it is a deal and we can get it over the line and move on. I work in manufacturing and the uncertainty is killing us right now.

Business just wants to know what's going on and from that standpoint I'm willing to hold my nose and support Boris' deal for now in the absence of any sane alternative. 

This is also why I don't think you should be bound by our idiocy and should get another shot at independence. :)  

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

It would be rather splendid if the EU said "No more extensions, please just FUCK OFF!!!" :lol:

They may prove to be our saviours after all.

That would be Macron's course of action. Merkel is more keen on an extension as the German economy is tanking.

They're sick of it. I actually am feeling almost sympathetic haha. They are literally looking at British politics and things like the Letwin Bill and saying, ''what the fuck (I have them speaking like Americans), we just negotiated a very amicable deal with them and now this!!''. 

I have said this earlier but there was a very telling scene on that Verhofstadt documentary when Verhofstadt's group are sitting around and describing how the remainer protesters are a massive pain in the arse. It is a very telling scene. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have said this earlier but there was a very telling scene on that Verhofstadt documentary when Verhofstadt's group are sitting around and describing how the remainer protesters are a massive pain in the arse. It is a very telling scene. 

:lol: I haven't seen that doc, I'll have to check it out.

9 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol: I haven't seen that doc, I'll have to check it out.

Worth a watch. Barnier is actually a voice of reason - doesn't seem a bad bloke really. Verhofstadt is well Verhofstadt. He has this Irish woman working for him who I don't think likes us very much in the best Irish tradition haha. Ironically Verhofstadt likes vintage British cars, Rolls and Bentleys - he has a very nice house with an Italian country pile and fine wines and Chinese takeaways at his desk. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvKGWQXi3rM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

It's more a pragmatic view of the consequences of dragging it out any further. A no deal is likely to be catastrophic and article 50 isn't getting revoked at this point no matter how much I may want it to be. Even if it was I think that the impact on the country would kick the fuck out of us for years to come. 

I don't want to leave and I believe that the deal will make us all poorer but it is a deal and we can get it over the line and move on. I work in manufacturing and the uncertainty is killing us right now.

Business just wants to know what's going on and from that standpoint I'm willing to hold my nose and support Boris' deal for now in the absence of any sane alternative. 

This is also why I don't think you should be bound by our idiocy and should get another shot at independence. :)  

I have broadly agreed with the outcome of every plebiscite in Scotland since I became a voter, apart from the 2014 independence referendum.

I have disagreed with the outcome of every plebsicite at UK level since I became a voter. Cameron, May, Johnson, Brexit, Austerity etc. etc.

You can understand why I am beyond fed up with being part of the UK.

I think social media and the media in general has a lot to answer for with this current situation. I don't have a lot to do with Facebook or Twitter but just having a glance at Brexit-related stuff on there occasionally and it is just really, really weird. People have went all in and totally entrenched themselves one way or another to the point where they just can't let go of this and move on. Also, certain characters seem to want to be celebrities and have their 15 minutes of fame out of it. From 'EU girl' or whatever she's called to that knob shouting "Stop Brexit!" for three years outside parliament. It just seems typical of the arsehole society we seem to now endure. It's all very bizarre.

Edited by bucketfoot

4 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I have broadly agreed with the outcome of every plebiscite in Scotland since I became a voter, apart from the 2014 independence referendum.

I have disagreed with the outcome of every plebsicite at UK level since I became a voter. Cameron, May, Johnson, Brexit, Austerity etc. etc.

You can understand why I am beyond fed up with being part of the UK.

You'd struggle to find a person who voted for Cameron, May, or supported austerity, in the north east of England, yet we don't go crying about independence 24/7. The North East was/is hit as hard as Scotland by the effects of Thatcherite-Toryism, pit closures, etc. 

It is what it is. In a democracy you get wankers. The good thing is you can turf them out. And then you get another wanker. If Scotland was independent you would have had a serial groper as a prime minster! You couldn't pin that on the English or Westminster. Do not see those liberal Americans in democrat heartlands wanting to secede from the Union (of the States of America) because they despise Trump.

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I think social media and the media in general has a lot to answer for with this current situation. I don't have a lot to do with Facebook or Twitter but just having a glance at Brexit-related stuff on there occasionly and it is just really, really weird. People have went all in and totally entrenched themselves one way or another to the point where they just can't let go of this and move on. Also, certain characters seem to want to be celebrities and have their 15 minutes of fame out of it. From 'EU girl' or whatever she's called to that knob shouting "Stop Brexit!" for three years outside parliament. It just seems typical of the arsehole society we seem to now endure. It's all very bizarre.

There is some hot young Brexit totty on twitter. 

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'd struggle to find a person who voted for Cameron, May, or supported austerity, in the north east of England, yet we don't go crying about independence 24/7. The North East was/is hit as hard as Scotland by the effects of Thatcherite-Toryism, pit closures, etc. 

The two aren't really comparable. The North East of England is a region of England, it is not one of the two countries party to the treaty of Union, it isn't a separate legal jurisdiction. Furthermore, there seems to be little-to-no appetite for any form of self-government in the North East of England, which rejected a devolution proposal by 78%. Scotland, on the other hand, voted in favour by nearly the same margin (74%), has consistently elected a majority of pro-independence political representatives for most of the last decade, and ongoing opinion polling suggests roughly half of the Scottish population now believes in independence (sometimes just under, sometimes just over). 

Many of the impacts of Tory policy may have been similar in Scotland and England's North East (as in other places in England like Liverpool, or in Wales) - but Scotland's democratic response has been very different, and this is probably largely due to the apparatus of statehood that Scotland has, giving us a greater sense of autonomy and a stronger platform to manifest our opposition and resistance to the current direction of British politics. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would object to a second referendum if remain had won the first one. 

I saw this first now.

Err, why should I believe that guy on twitter? Did he study drone footage of the entire rally? As far as I am concerned this is just word against word. 

And again, why does it matter so much to you? :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster

14 hours ago, Dazey said:

I do think that we should give the Scots a second referendum at this point as well.

It's not that easy. Let say there is another referendum. People vote to be independent. Scotland needs to submit an application to the EU in order to be a new member. They have to go to the back of the line and wait. It takes years. So Scotland will be in limbo, nobody knows for how long.

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

It's not that easy. Let say there is another referendum. People vote to be independent. Scotland needs to submit an application to the EU in order to be a new member. They have to go to the back of the line and wait. It takes years. So Scotland will be in limbo, nobody knows for how long.

I didn’t say anything about Scotland’s EU membership. I was just taking about their status as a part of the UK which is as simple as Westminster granting them another vote. 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I didn’t say anything about Scotland’s EU membership. I was just taking about their status as a part of the UK which is as simple as Westminster granting them another vote. 

Sure, but Scotland wants a second referendum so they can decide over their future. And what they have in mind is the EU membership

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

Sure, but Scotland wants a second referendum so they can decide over their future. And what they have in mind is the EU membership

It’s one part of it yes but the 2014 vote was two years before Brexit and would actually have resulted in Scotland leaving the EU of their own volition. This still won 45% of the vote so clearly desire for independence is significant irrespective of Brexit. 

Just now, soon said:

Oh, haha! ... I dont get the impression that he shags in odd time signatures? :lol: 

What happened to @Dazey? Was it really a compassionate remainer MD?

The missus had a kidney stone so we’ve got a small pharmacy of pain killers at home. Wouldn’t recommend the morphine tbh. Definitely not on top of 10 pints of Stella anyways. I’m hanging out of my arsehole today. :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The missus had a kidney stone so we’ve got a small pharmacy of pain killers at home. Wouldn’t recommend the morphine tbh. Definitely not on top of 10 pints of Stella anyways. I’m hanging out of my arsehole today. :lol: 

Its best to be done on its own I think.  Closest equivalent I've tried is opium and I feel like it would be disturbed somewhat by booze :lol:  Gimme it if you don't want it!

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its best to be done on its own I think.  Closest equivalent I've tried is opium and I feel like it would be disturbed somewhat by booze :lol:  Gimme it if you don't want it!

Send me your address and I’ll post you a little. :lol: 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I saw this first now.

Err, why should I believe that guy on twitter? Did he study drone footage of the entire rally? As far as I am concerned this is just word against word. 

And again, why does it matter so much to you? :lol:

Remainers have lied constantly. I do not see any benefit for allowing their lies to stand unaddressed?