British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

(Parliamentary) Brexit is like some strange battle which goes back and forth: at one stage it appears Eurosceptics have landed the definitive blow but this is soon cancelled out through a Remainer counterattack. And on and on it goes...

Such is the power of parliamentary sovereignty eh? :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Such is the power of parliamentary sovereignty eh? :lol: 

The Fixed-Terms Act has created a sort of Parliamentary dictatorship, opposing both the executive and the mandate of the people. The referendum has actually opened up important questions about the British constitution, one being: where does sovereignty lie, Parliament (the elected servants of the people) or the people themselves (as derived from referenda)? Probably why nobody sought to run a referendum before 1975, and why they have been rare events ever since. 

And you want more of the buggers?

Edited by DieselDaisy

The Fixed-Terms Act has created a sort of Parliamentary dictatorship, opposing both the executive and the mandate of the people. The referendum has actually opened up important questions about the British constitution, one being: where does sovereignty lie, Parliament (the elected servants of the people) or the people themselves (as derived from referenda)? Probably why nobody sought to run a referendum before 1975, and why they have been rare events ever since. 

And you want more of the buggers?

At this point I'm not sure I do. I'd be happy enough if the current deal passes and we can just get on with our lives. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

At this point I'm not sure I do. I'd be happy enough if the current deal passes and we can just get on with our lives. :wacko:

This will never end. If we withdraw everything that negatively happens in this country, a fly farting, will be blamed by your lot on Brexit (the Scots are already experts at this pertaining to Westminster), and if we Revoke Article 50 no bugger will ever vote again in this country as our democracy will be utterly shattered.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This will never end. If we withdraw everything that negatively happens in this country, a fly farting, will be blamed by your lot on Brexit (the Scots are already experts at this pertaining to Westminster), and if we Revoke Article 50 no bugger will ever vote again in this country as our democracy will be utterly shattered.

So if all the bad stuff predicted as a result of Brexit comes true the remain side can't have a bit of a whinge about it? 

This is what our Parliamentarians are doing today,

EHdzt0PXkAEQLcm?format=jpg&name=large

''Oral Questions''. 

PS

Poor Canada. Voted Trudeau again, albeit as a ''minority'' (see what I did there?). At least his wife is a bit of a looker. 

Does he count as Canada's ''first black prime minister''?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Poor Canada. Voted Trudeau again, albeit as a ''minority'' (see what I did there?). At least his wife is a bit of a looker. 

Does he count as Canada's ''first black prime minister''?

Prime Minstrel Trudeau it is! I bet the racists who hate him are besides themselves with bewilderment :lol:. His daddy had a second term as a minority leader before regaining a majority. 

Haha, Singh will be our first brown prime minister, hopefully in about 2 years.

Conservatives had an alright showing, but so much of it is stemming from Western resentments and oil. Their base spent the last week defacing murals of Greta... you know, like adult stuff :lol:. Who will be their base after oil is phased out? The new right wing populist party received zero seats. We are kicking ass over here :headbang:

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I heard Europeans like his use of ''order'' amusing or novel or...

How is it not hilarious? Maybe you are used to it by now, but to me this looks more like a scene from a comedy show than anything else.

(evidently he named his cat ''order'' as well)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dazey said:

So if all the bad stuff predicted as a result of Brexit comes true the remain side can't have a bit of a whinge about it? 

Since there is an agreement. I don't think there will be an earthquake. If 10 or 15 years from now, things are going really bad. Then you should demand answers from Parliament and whoever the PM is

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Like so much else with British society, it is a vestigial feature reminiscent of better times.

Oh go fuck yourself Norway boy, I'd take the shittest England over the best Norway any day of the week, honestly, slaggin' off the manor every other day, your mums a vestigial feature :lol:

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

How is it not hilarious? Maybe you are used to it by now, but to me this looks more like a scene from a comedy show than anything else.

(evidently he named his cat ''order'' as well)

Well I know that you're staved for humour/comedy on the continent but this is desperation!

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Like so much else with British society, it is a vestigial feature reminiscent of better times.

Medieval actually. Developed in the 13th century (1258 is a key date) from earlier precedents. Not sure even the most backward of Englishman would consider the era of the Black Death and Crusades to be ''better times''!

Well I know that you're staved for humour/comedy on the continent but this is desperation!

Medieval actually. Developed in the 13th century (1258 is a key date) from earlier precedents. Not sure even the most backward of Englishman would consider the era of the Black Death and Crusades to be ''better times''!

I wasn't necessarily talking about the time when it originated, more the height of the British Empire with all its curious parliamentary and regal customs and traditions.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I wasn't necessarily talking about the time when it originated, more the height of the British Empire with all its curious parliamentary and regal customs and traditions.

The archaic forms and rituals of Parliament, have very little to do with ''the height of the British Empire'', which I take to mean 1815-1870, as Parliament preceded the British Empire by centuries! Even the Black Rod ritualism and obstructing of the speaker are rituals from the 17th century. 

The archaic forms and rituals of Parliament, have very little to do with ''the height of the British Empire'', which I take to mean 1815-1870, as Parliament preceded the British Empire by centuries! Even the Black Rod ritualism and obstructing of the speaker are rituals from the 17th century. 

Again I wasn't implying that Brits long for the exact time when they originated :lol:

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Again I wasn't implying that Brits long for the exact time when they originated :lol:

You said Parliament is a example of ''better times'' here, and mentioned the British Empire as an example, yet there is nothing particularly ''Imperial'' about Westminster as it originated far earlier, when England was actually a rather weak country.

I do not understand the point you were making then.