British Politics

Gracii Guns

On 13/06/2020 at 9:07 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes. Morons who turned up to defend the cenotaph against BLM and are pissed off they weren’t allowed through by police so started on them. 

The football lads out for trouble because they’ve nothing better to do. 

You’d think they’d be on the copperses side, I mean they’re there to protect the statues too more or less.

3 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

That doesn't ring true to me. That may be true in Japan where they literally couldn't give two shits about apologizing for their empire days. But even American students get a view of the British Empire as an achievement but one that was more on the evil side.

Yeah, I don’t find it to be true at all, I did my GCSEs in the late 90s and they were teaching about India and Gandhi was like the hero of the piece, if anything it was kinda weighted in favour of the Indians seeking independence, though it did speak of benefits of British Rule, certain judicial/infrastructure benefits etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

People  who say they hate Nazis,deface a guy who took down the actual Nazis and prevented them from speaking German.:lol: 

Congrats Lefties you played yourself.

Yeah, it's almost as bad as people "defending" Churchill's statue whist giving Nazi salutes to the police. :lol:  

13 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

People  who say they hate Nazis,deface a guy who took down the actual Nazis and prevented them from speaking German.:lol: 

The argument is that his role as wartime Prime Minister is used to present him as a shining paragon of virtue that nobody can question - despite him expressing some pretty abhorrent views on racial superiority/inferiority that really aren't too different to those of the Nazis:

e.g.

“I do not admit, for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to those people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, or, at any rate, a more worldly wise race, to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.”

“I hate Indians…they are beastly people with a beastly religion.”

"The Aryan stock is bound to triumph."

It's not exactly ideologically inconsistent that people who hate the Nazis' views on race and eugenics would also be against the ideas expressed above and would reach the conclusion that Churchill opposed the Nazis mainly to defend Britain's independence, rather than because he was a great egalitarian who was morally offended by their classification of non-Aryans as "untermensch".

As such, it's entirely possible to hate what the Nazis stood for and to be equally critical of Churchill's views on race and his role in colonialism.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

People  who say they hate Nazis,deface a guy who took down the actual Nazis and prevented them from speaking German.

Typical right wing gobshite. You lot are always at it with the “you’d all be speaking German” waffle. Is it actually Nazi Germany you have a problem with or simply an aversion to having to learn a second language? :lol:

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Graeme said:

The argument is that his role as wartime Prime Minister is used to present him as a shining paragon of virtue that nobody can question - despite him expressing some pretty abhorrent views on racial superiority/inferiority that really aren't too different to those of the Nazis:

e.g.

“I do not admit, for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to those people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, or, at any rate, a more worldly wise race, to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.”

“I hate Indians…they are beastly people with a beastly religion.”

"The Aryan stock is bound to triumph."

It's not exactly ideologically inconsistent that people who hate the Nazis' views on race and eugenics would also be against the ideas expressed above and would reach the conclusion that Churchill opposed the Nazis mainly to defend Britain's independence, rather than because he was a great egalitarian who was morally offended by their classification of non-Aryans as "untermensch".

As such, it's entirely possible to hate what the Nazis stood for and to be equally critical of Churchill's views on race and his role in colonialism.

Agree but the lefties also want to see the evil only.  He was still a product of his time everyone is flawed. But Churchill saved Europe  and England from utter destruction and domination by the Nazis.

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Typical right wing gobshite. You lot are always at it with the “you’d all be speaking German” waffle. Is it actually Nazi Germany you have a problem with or simply an aversion to having to learn a second language? :lol:

Well yes if you know anything about Nazis they were intolerant to anyone who wasn't an Aryan and German.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

5 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Agree but the lefties also want to see the evil only.  He was still a product of his time everyone is flawed. But Churchill saved Europe  and England from utter destruction and domination by the Nazis.

Typically in the history classroom and the media we hear nothing but the 'great leader who defeated the Nazis' bit - I think it's fair that attention gets drawn to the other side of him too, and if that means knocking him off his pedestal (as it were) then so be it.

On 15.6.2020 at 8:34 PM, soon said:

Well, also there no country called America. So... yeah :lol:

But what do you call someone from USA then if "American" is wrong? A "usaan"? And what would the appropriate adjective be? If we can't say "American car", what do we say? "US' car"? 

So Dominic Raab won't take a knee because "maybe it’s got a broader history but it seems to be taken from the Game of Thrones".

I mean in his defense the movement did start in the USA and it's not like he should be expected to pay attention to the goings on in other countries in his role as UK Foreign Secretary. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

So Dominic Raab won't take a knee because "maybe it’s got a broader history but it seems to be taken from the Game of Thrones".

I mean in his defense the movement did start in the USA and it's not like he should be expected to pay attention to the goings on in other countries in his role as UK Foreign Secretary. :lol: 

If the man don't wanna kneel then he don't wanna kneel, its a symbolic gesture, its not necessarily indicative of whether you do or do not have sympathy for the cause.  Malcolm X said in his autobiography that the hardest part of accepting Islam was the kneeling part, he just couldn't do it, had some kind of a mental block about it.  Maybe he would prefer to raise a fist.  Maybe no physical shit is required and what matters is substantial action.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

If the man don't wanna kneel then he don't wanna kneel, its a symbolic gesture, its not necessarily indicative of whether you do or do not have sympathy for the cause.  Malcolm X said in his autobiography that the hardest part of accepting Islam was the kneeling part, he just couldn't do it, had some kind of a mental block about it.  Maybe he would prefer to raise a fist.  Maybe no physical shit is required and what matters is substantial action.

It was more a criticism of the fact that the foreign secretary thought that one of the biggest social and political movements in recent memory was based on an HBO fantasy series about fucking dragons. :lol: 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But what do you call someone from USA then if "American" is wrong? A "usaan"? And what would the appropriate adjective be? If we can't say "American car", what do we say? "US' car"? 

In México, they say "Estadounidense" (literally "Unitedstatesian") if they're feeling polite, and "Gringo" if they're not :lol: .

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, you could use those terms. 

Here we refer to “The States” instead of America. Or “stateside” when useful.

“Yanks” as opposed to Americans. Though one is still encouraged to use “Murcian” where applicable, lol.

We also sometimes say Yankee for a northerner and Southerner for, well, Southerners. One doesn’t need to say US - it’s implied in Southerner. You know, so that keeps the civil war front and centre :lol:

People from bigger states really mostly get called that instead of Yank. “New Yorker” or “Californian” “New Englander” and “Texan” especially get this. Also “Midwesterner”

One can also say Turtle Island which is one of a handful of names originally used - and still used - for this land.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:11 PM, Gibsonfender2323 said:

By today's standards Churchill was a White Nationalist. Lest we forget his "Keep England White" campaign after the war. The left doesn't share your worship of Churchill so they don't care for this argument.

5 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

By today's standards Churchill was a White Nationalist. Lest we forget his "Keep England White" campaign after the war. The left doesn't share your worship of Churchill so they don't care for this argument.

By that account everyone who lived from 800ad to 1945 was White Nationalist.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...