10/23/17 - Hartford, CT - XL Center

3 hours ago, TimeToDieee said:

Ok so... I don't even know where to start but.. I've seen GnR 4 times in my life and attended all of these shows with the best friend a person could ever hope for. Twice last year and twice this year. Started with second night Foxboro last year which was one of, if not the first time they played Catcher which was an amazing show where 25 dollar nosebleed tickets got upgraded to 280 dollar face value second row Slash side floor tickets. Next time was a few days later at the Metlife second night show from about as far back as one could possibly be. This year was Hershey and Hartford. I was holding the other pit ticket Mooch14 had (posted back on page 2) which was my first time pit for any show. I'm not sure if it was the whole pit experience, but in my opinion this was the best show of my life hands down. The energy up front is unreal, and hearing the crowd go wild is incredible. I don't know what anyone else is hearing, but from where I was the Chinese Democracy songs everyone complains about had great reception and the crowd cheering! It was amazing to be there for the first time Prostitute was played.

My special moment of what I consider an unforgettable night was around the 1:30 mark in this video:

The man himself, Mr. W. Axl Rose taking a second to smile and wave back to me!

Like I said earlier, I also like this show more than the MetLife shows. I'm starting to think it's that old, decrepit, unassuming arena. I saw Pearl Jam there a few years ago and it was, for lack of a better word, magical. Maybe because it's so small. Maybe because they feel like they could take more risks in a secondary market, I don't know. 

1 hour ago, GNR 1991 said:

So this lineup has now played 8/14 songs off Chinese Democracy, wow. Love it. They sound great on Prostitute. Axl sounds a whole hell of a lot better now than he did at Rio. On 2016 level again.

Hopefully they play around with IRS and Shacklers, and dust off some old Illusions stuff before they finish off the tour.

Shacklers would be cool....I would think Slash & Duff would like to play something faster paced like that off of CD

On 10/23/2017 at 8:36 PM, default_ said:

Can you blame 'em? The band have so many great rock n roll songs of their own  that the majority of the fans actually wants to have fun  while listening to yet they keep playing boring stuff from Axl solo record. 

I like the album, I like the song but you gotta admit, it is boring and a piss break in a live setting. Its not an epic like NR or Estranged, its just a so so song. 

Are you out of your mind?  Prostitute is an amazing song.   Keep the CD tracks coming!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeifferGNR said:

Madagascar was played this night? After Don't Cry we have The seeker:

Encore was:

Madagascar 

Patience

Rosie

Don't cry

seeker

Paradise City 

29 minutes ago, Birk said:

Are you out of your mind?  Prostitute is an amazing song.   Keep the CD tracks coming!!!

Its an good song to me personally but not amazing. Not even close to Estranged (my favorite gnr song) or NV. But it was great live. I loved hearing it last night. Slash fit right in on it! Hope TWAT becomes a regular cuz Its underrated

Edited by Gunsdrummer63

13 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Ah, that's a good one.  Different people will interpret songs in different ways, that's how it's meant to be.  I personally love hearing other people's take on songs and what it means to them.

Me too. I think it's the beauty in a song that so many people get something different out of it. 

14 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Hmmm I get what you're saying, re-reading the lyrics but I just think it's more likely to be about some chick....
"So now I wander through my days
And try to find my ways
To the feelings that I felt
I saved for you and no one else

And though as long as this road seems
I know it's called the street of dreams"

I lean towards a combination. I'm not sure if it's about Slash but perhaps part of it is and parts are about other people. It reminds me of a poem I began as a teenager and finished as an adult. It ended up being about a mixture of people. I can definitely see where the idea of it possibly  being about Slash comes from. 

When my mom passed away I found it in an album of hers and realized I had never finished it.

On the song sorry though one line in particular stands out. "You know where to put your shut up and sing". Those who remember the Axl chats will remember that line. I also think Sorry is about different situations and people.

Edited by BOSSY78
added

On 10/24/2017 at 2:42 AM, Axl_morris said:

They could easily play Pretty Tied Up, Youre Crazy, Anything Goes, Locomotive..etc

Locomotive would be awesome but prostitute has more value the other 3 put together.

On 10/24/2017 at 7:41 AM, Stro said:

I'm a weirdo who is more interested in hearing them do CD and covers than the same group of songs they've all been playing for the past 25 years. It's clear everyone involved has higher energy and excitement when doing stuff not from AFD or UYI. Axl in particular seems so jazzed for Slash doing solos over CD stuff. 

It's not really that surprising considering Axl has done most of the same songs on every show he's done since 1987-1991, and Slash's MKC shows were about 20-30% GNR songs that he's played every show for NITLT as well. Even Duff's Loaded sets had shit he had been playing and is still playing his whole career. It makes sense that they'd be more excited to play stuff that's fresh for all of them together to be playing. 

Exactly. It's amazing they summon as much enthusiasm as they do for the old stuff at this point. And I agree, Slash is definitely not po-facing the CD songs, on the contrary. But just imagine how into it they'll be playing stuff they've written together or even vault stuff they've recorded on. 

On 10/24/2017 at 9:15 AM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

What are the chances they might play Riad??  Street of Dreams?? 

19 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Hmmm I get what you're saying, re-reading the lyrics but I just think it's more likely to be about some chick....
"So now I wander through my days
And try to find my ways
To the feelings that I felt
I saved for you and no one else

And though as long as this road seems
I know it's called the street of dreams"

19 hours ago, Sosso said:

There are also these lines:

What I thought was beautiful
Don't live inside of you
Anymore

16 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea but seems a bit whimsical to be about Slash...a more hard hitting song about Slash would of surely been par for course...
Personally I'm sure there's a few songs about Slash in the vault...."Crucify the dead" by Slash is far more obviously about Axl, I'd say...

even if it's not. 

For years I called bullshit on Axl's "Sorry is not about someone I used to know" and even calling us idiots for thinking so. I made a thread on here with a line-by-line analysis arguing that it had to be about primarily Slash but also the other alumni because there had to be one song on the album addressed to them. And because the verse lyrics seem so personal. It makes perfect sense if the verses are to Slash and the chorus is to the fans. Moreover, the "shut up and sing" line is something Axl specifically said Slash said to him regarding the Snakepit songs: "I was told no melodies, no lyrics, shut up and sing."

But then When @RussTCB blew my mind by pointing out that SoD is possibly about Slash it takes Sorry off the hook and i'm willing to take Axl at his word that it's aimed at multiple parties, whether the media, fans, biz, old members etc the same way Prostitute seems to be. The fact that they've played Sorry, Madagascar and Prostitute before SoD, arguably the most Slash-friendly song musically is another reason.

To those of you saying the SoD lyrics don't fit I can't understand why. Yes, they could be taken as romantic but not necessarily and you have to remember that Axl "loved" Slash and cried "hot burning tears of anger" when he left and "threw it all away." Axl felt for years that Slash betrayed him, destroyed the band, slandered him and took away the prime years of his life. It's in no way a stretch to read every line of those lyrics as written to Slash and if no other song on the album is directly to him then that all but confirms it to me.

The only thing that cocks it up is some of the jumbotron visuals back in the day for the song showed a bunch of woman, as I recall. 

15 hours ago, Sosso said:

Slash is definitely more into the Buckethead stuff on Chinese Democracy. I wonder how he would Sound on If the Word and Scraped

I still say he seems to like everything except Robin's TIL solo because he sticks close to Robin's Better and Twat stuff. But yeah, if he really wasn't ok with playing all these tunes we'd know about it by now. 

Still no Madagascar vids from the last 3 shows :( Someone said it sounded amazing on the streams. 

• Like 3

Just got up the courage to listen to this version of Prostitute and I'm presently surprised that it isn't terrible. As much as I like songs from CD it's difficult to translate some of them (like Prostitute) into a live setting. But this wasn't half bad...

13 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Shacklers would be cool....I would think Slash & Duff would like to play something faster paced like that off of CD

The song I really want to see them attempting now (apart from SOD) is Scraped. It's angry, fast paced, the bass line is great and it'd be really funny to see Axl attempting to sing that again! :lol: 

4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

For years I called bullshit on Axl's "Sorry is not about someone I used to know" and even calling us idiots for thinking so.

I still call bullshit on Sorry. lol  I think it has multiple meanings (most of the CD songs do - Axl says as much in his chats on here).  A Slash sentiment runs through that song that Axl may not even have been aware of at the time of writing, but may have become aware once the album was released and people pointed it out to him.  In fact, I think the whole album references Slash.  No, not every line of every song, but here and there.  You can read it sometimes, and you can hear it sometimes, too, in Axl's vocals or the instrumental.  Same way we can hear Slash's emotions in his solos.  Just my interpretation.

To those of you saying the SoD lyrics don't fit I can't understand why. Yes, they could be taken as romantic but not necessarily and you have to remember that Axl "loved" Slash and cried "hot burning tears of anger" when he left and "threw it all away." Axl felt for years that Slash betrayed him, destroyed the band, slandered him and took away the prime years of his life. It's in no way a stretch to read every line of those lyrics as written to Slash and if no other song on the album is directly to him then that all but confirms it to me.

Agree with you.  People look at those lyrics and think, oh it has to be romantic feelings about a woman, because that's so many people's default definition of love.  Thank god the heart is capable of more.   I believe the love Axl is speaking of isn't sexual, or romantic.  It's a bond.  Deeper than simply friendship, inexplicable, beyond definition.  It's why those two had such obvious chemistry.  I also think The Blues is a metaphor for Slash (I still call it SOD though, because that's the title Axl went with in the end).

3 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Too bad this thread is turning into song lyric analysis <_<

There has to be another thread for that...

Ha! Sorry, I've just gone and added to that. :lol:  Well, I much prefer to analyse song lyrics than Axl's never-changing vocals for the millionth time. 

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

29 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I still call bullshit on Sorry. lol  I think it has multiple meanings (most of the CD songs do - Axl says as much in his chats on here).  A Slash sentiment runs through that song that Axl may not even have been aware of at the time of writing, but may have become aware once the album was released and people pointed it out to him.  In fact, I think the whole album references Slash.  No, not every line of every song, but here and there.  You can read it sometimes, and you can hear it sometimes, too, in Axl's vocals or the instrumental.  Same way we can hear Slash's emotions in his solos.  Just my interpretation.

Agree with you.  People look at those lyrics and think, oh it has to be romantic feelings about a woman, because that's so many people's default definition of love.  Thank god the heart is capable of more.   I believe the love Axl is speaking of isn't sexual, or romantic.  It's a bond.  Deeper than simply friendship, inexplicable, beyond definition.  It's why those two had such obvious chemistry.  I also think The Blues is a metaphor for Slash (I still call it SOD though, because that's the title Axl went with in the end).

Ha! Sorry, I've just gone and added to that. :lol:  Well, I much prefer to analyse song lyrics than Axl's never-changing vocals for the millionth time. 

Haha don't apologize. It happens all the time here

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Slash on the CD songs just fits. It’s almost natural how well he fits into them. Wonder if axl ever thought what the music would sound like If slash played it. No wonder why he looks so happy on stage. Always liked CD as and album and like it even more now. 

• GNFNR 1

41 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Slash on the CD songs just fits. It’s almost natural how well he fits into them. Wonder if axl ever thought what the music would sound like If slash played it. No wonder why he looks so happy on stage. Always liked CD as and album and like it even more now. 

Yes I hope they release a live album that includes the best versions of all the CD tunes they have played in the NITL tour, it would rock!

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Prostitute totally outguns There Was A Time...!

If one CD song should be a staple it is Prostitute!

But it is really hard one on Axl's voice... and takes a lot of sacrifice..

Never understood the love for Prostitute.

It's just a really poor song IMO and it should never be played again. Just like Catcher. 

Anastasia or Slither would be waaaay better.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4