Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

12 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Shadow debuted at #22 on the rock radio airplay chart this week. It was the most added song of the week at the format, and had the biggest increase in spins.

Off to a great start!

Cool, I didn't know that thanks.

23 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Shadow debuted at #22 on the rock radio airplay chart this week. It was the most added song of the week at the format, and had the biggest increase in spins.

Off to a great start!

Billboard also lists it at 31 in mainstream rock as per radio plays:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

11 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Billboard also lists it at 31 in mainstream rock as per radio plays:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

Billboard calculates things differently. I go by the Mediabase chart (industry chart) that is strictly and purely based on radio airplay.

Some stations report to Billboard, but the biggest stations use Mediabase. In the eyes of the record labels, Mediabase is the chart that matters.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah man, I was really hoping for some real good live stuff from that era.. A good live show/album on blu Ray or audio format...

Yes this is what I’m wanting as well.   I don’t give a fuck about demos.   Give me live stuff, audio recordings, video.  I’d blow a grand on that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Billboard calculates things differently. I go by the Mediabase chart (industry chart) that is strictly and purely based on radio airplay.

Some stations report to Billboard, but the biggest stations use Mediabase. In the eyes of the record labels, Mediabase is the chart that matters.

Thanks for the valuable information! Wasn't doubting you, just thought i would link Billboard as an alternative source. Either way, Shadow seems to be doing quite well for a song which hasn't been too extensively promoted.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Idk what to really compare it to as far as "plays" you've got some dude "childish gambino" with a single that came out like the same day and it's got almost 30 million spins, and it's a fuckin joke of a song! Slash's WOF lyric video came up on my suggestions and that came out 4 years ago and SOYL has already passed it up. Who's to say how it will do long term. I think all things considered it's doing par for the course considering it's lyric video and it's being advertised as an "old" release that's just come out. I'm sure by June this time it will have double digits plays.

On a side note to this - childish gambino is actor Donald Glover. He's a pretty famous actor and is young Lando in the Han Solo movie. I'm not a fan of his music or rap/r&b but calling him "some guy" undercuts how hilarious this guy is in comedy. Check out clips from the show Communtiy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

I bet the other demos on the box set are decent quality at best. Won't sound anything like SOYL

Haha, yeah.

That would be another way to dissappoint the fans. I'll wait until release before I buy anything beyond SOYL.

44 minutes ago, charliehoodger said:

On a side note to this - childish gambino is actor Donald Glover. He's a pretty famous actor and is young Lando in the Han Solo movie. I'm not a fan of his music or rap/r&b but calling him "some guy" undercuts how hilarious this guy is in comedy. Check out clips from the show Communtiy.

Whoever he is the music and video is absolutely trash. Hopefully he can act alot better or entertainin me in another way. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Thanks for the valuable information! Wasn't doubting you, just thought i would link Billboard as an alternative source. Either way, Shadow seems to be doing quite well for a song which hasn't been too extensively promoted.

It’s all good! The Mediabase chart isn’t really well known outside of industry circles, but if you work in radio, the goal is to be a reporting station to that chart as it goes a huge way in shaping chart positions and holds a level of prestige and influence.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stro said:

I assume they didn't just clean up just one song, so I'd imagine they remastered all the available AFD era demos/unreleased and will likely do the same for UYI. 

Ahhh.. I can take a deep breath now.. Just heard it on 107.3 WAAF a little while ago..

"Now Trending" Guns n' Roses - Shadow Of Your Love"

Noticed the little intro banter was cut out.  Wonder if that was an actual radio edit that was sent out?

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Ahhh.. I can take a deep breath now.. Just heard it on 107.3 WAAF a little while ago..

"Now Trending" Guns n' Roses - Shadow Of Your Love"

Noticed the little intro banter was cut out.  Wonder if that was an actual radio edit that was sent out?

I didn’t hear the banter when WAAF first played it Friday. So I’m assuming it’s a radio edit

• Like 1

So earlier I was watching old random gnr news clips and came upon a video of the band looking at fan art of themselves in Japan in 1988, and the Live from the Jungle version of SOYL was playing the background.

its so weird to think that a song that was played on Japanese TV exactly 30 years ago is now being seen as a "new" song (sort of).

It's also weird to think that they had this very nice-sounding version from Mike Clink just sitting there for decades, and chose instead to release demos of inferior quality on Live from the Jungle and the LLAD single. The fuck were they thinking?

Quick side note: being the stupid millennial that I am, I didn't think fan art was really a thing in 1988 lol. Im kinda surprised the fans were able to find all sorts of photos of the band to draw from without having the Internet as a resource. Being as young as I am, it's actually hard for me to imagine virtually anything getting done without the use of the Internet, to some extent.

heres the news vid, in case anyone is interested (SOYL starts about halfway through, I think): 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1