Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

12 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I bet the other demos on the box set are decent quality at best. Won't sound anything like SOYL

I wondered about this, I wonder if there will be a second single, or at least the "option" for one quality wise.  Heartbreak hotel or Jumping Jack Flash are probably our best bets for something as clean.

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

So earlier I was watching old random gnr news clips and came upon a video of the band looking at fan art of themselves in Japan in 1988, and the Live from the Jungle version of SOYL was playing the background.

its so weird to think that a song that was played on Japanese TV exactly 30 years ago is now being seen as a "new" song (sort of).

It's also weird to think that they had this very nice-sounding version from Mike Clink just sitting there for decades, and chose instead to release demos of inferior quality on Live from the Jungle and the LLAD single. The fuck were they thinking?

Quick side note: being the stupid millennial that I am, I didn't think fan art was really a thing in 1988 lol. Im kinda surprised the fans were able to find all sorts of photos of the band to draw from without having the Internet as a resource. Being as young as I am, it's actually hard for me to imagine virtually anything getting done without the use of the Internet, to some extent.

heres the news vid, in case anyone is interested (SOYL starts about halfway through, I think): 

Yeah, I recently shared a story about driving an hour to buy "Unwanted Illusions" from an indie record store.  I had heard about it because my friend was there and swore they had a GnR album we didn't have, I didn't even know it was real until I got there and laid eyes on it.  That was EPIC shit at the time, there was no internet to download or even catalogue from.  Another thing that couldn't happen today was the first time I heard "Sympathy for the Devil" I had no idea it was coming or anything.  I was driving to school and they were like "We have some brand new Guns n' Roses!" and it started playing.  I pulled over to listen. 

16 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Ahhh.. I can take a deep breath now.. Just heard it on 107.3 WAAF a little while ago..

"Now Trending" Guns n' Roses - Shadow Of Your Love"

Noticed the little intro banter was cut out.  Wonder if that was an actual radio edit that was sent out?

Most likely a custom station edit where they either completely clipped it off themselves, or just told the automation system to start the track after the banter.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I wondered about this, I wonder if there will be a second single, or at least the "option" for one quality wise.  Heartbreak hotel or Jumping Jack Flash are probably our best bets for something as clean.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Quick side note: being the stupid millennial that I am, I didn't think fan art was really a thing in 1988 lol. Im kinda surprised the fans were able to find all sorts of photos of the band to draw from without having the Internet as a resource. Being as young as I am, it's actually hard for me to imagine virtually anything getting done without the use of the Internet, to some extent.

lol, omg, but there were plenty of magazines, kid!!! :lol:

The rock music mags would bring lots of posters and photos, big ones and good quality. Actually, to me its a mistery how can anyone draw from a screen :P

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Touche! :P

in all seriousness, though, the fact that I didn't think of magazines shows just how fucked my generation is lol. We are destined to screw the whole world up.

Hahaha indeed! :awesomeface:

Maybe you could dig up some of those mags from the 80s and 90s to see how cool they were and their pics! 

I used to love the Rip Magazine ;)

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Touche! :P

in all seriousness, though, the fact that I didn't think of magazines shows just how fucked my generation is lol. We are destined to screw the whole world up.

You missed out on the excitement of finding a new magazine or book, then being the envy of your mates :lol:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So earlier I was watching old random gnr news clips and came upon a video of the band looking at fan art of themselves in Japan in 1988

Thanks for posting that, never seen it before.  Pretty cool time warp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Thanks for posting that, never seen it before.  Pretty cool time warp.

Sure is! It’s cool to see Axl, Slash and Duff being casual with each other while checking out something other than themselves (sorta haha). They seems like buds. And Axl bringing up the past about an old band mate without batting an eye...something he’s never had a problem doing...which always made me think a reunion was a possibility. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You do realise magazines do still exist? I still buy them, albeit unrelated to music.

Was this meant to be directed at me?

yes, I'm aware magazines still exist. I read them all the time at Barnes and Nobles XD. I don't really read music-related ones, though. Probably why I failed to make the assumption that Japanese GNR fans in 1988 most likely used magazines as the source for their fan art.

Still nothing on any of the Sirius XM stations that feature GNR. I don't have Facebook or Twitter so there isn't any other way to contact the channels or the DJ's but if someone on here does they should reach out to these people and request the song. You'd have to believe they're starving for new content.

Ozzys Boneyard, Hair Nation, those would be the first two to try.

26 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So... Steven said today that he’s not playing in the officially-released “Shadow Of Your Love”. What the fuck?

2:20

Who is the fucking mouth breather that sounds he needs an o2 tank stat?

On Topic....holy shit.  Guess we need to wait on some credits to see whose playing drums on this.

Edited by tsinindy

Fairly certain, as Ive stated in greater detail in earlier threads, that they have quantized his playing (digitally adjusted tempo).  Theres a few familiar quantizing tell tale quirks to it, including notes that are technically in time but stand out to the human ear as unnatural and also that the the shuffle he plays modulates back and forth between two approaches to triplets through out the track.  Ive asked folks who've uploaded it to their recording software to see if its in perfect time, but I guess no ones had the opportunity yet.  Ive run a metronome to it and it seems as though it is in time, although with dropped notes (intentionally done as part of the arrangement) and the way Izzy plays everything with syncopation, it makes a simple metronome a little difficult to zero in with - would be ideal to get a digital confirmation.  I think that due to - as Steven says here - they didnt play to click track and kept errors that quantizing wouldve been a miserable piecemeal kinda a task.  Because it can confuse the software.

If this version is in time, that would have to indicate that its been altered because the chances that it just happens to be in time (if it is in time) seem to great for coincidence.

But another thing to inform this mystery is: who counts the song in?  I cant place the voice.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

He’s on the liner notes(as the drummer) hard to believe they are gonna pay someone who did not play or write on the song a boat load of money, having said that , Steven might have been getting paid either way, so they might have thrown frank on there , but I think that would be illegal ( don’t know how royalties work)

1 hour ago, tony adler said:

To say Steven is out of ‘the loop ‘ with his old band is a huge understatement, it’s a nastered cleaned up version, he honestly may have never heard it before?

Mastered 

It's not illegal to hire uncredited musicians for a studio album