Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

12 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

No one's tearing Bucket down, especially me because I like him and respect a lot, there's no other guitarist like him on this planet. What I'm trying to do is explain to you that he's not as big as some of you try to imply to the others. 

Are we clear now?

Yes other people are. My post isn't directed at you.

26 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Electric Tears is my favorite Buckethead's album.

That's definitely one of my favourites too.

I always thought the riff for The Way To Heaven had some similarities to Don't Cry, especially that little run at the end of it, which is interesting because that album was recorded during his time in Guns.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I remember many pools/experts where Slash came in as 2nd best guitarist ever, Clapton, Angus, Eddie VH, Jimmy Page behind him, but NEVER, never were there Mustaine or Buckethead in top 100.

I don't even like Mustaine's music but I can appreciate his skill. Someone like Angus or Slash might write catchier tunes but I don't really view them as 'better' guitarists. With someone like Buckethead, he's got plenty of albums that I don't think are good, but credit where it's due: he can't be confined to one style or genre, he does whatever he wants and is generally good at whatever he tries. His best songs are some of my all-time favourite songs, just like Slash's best songs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, History2010 said:

This is one of the saddest threads I've ever seen on this forum. Slash shows respect for Bucket and all these Slash fans try and tear Bucket down. Shameful. 

Poor BH. Some dudes on a GNR forum said they don't like his music. What a sad day for him.

49 minutes ago, moreblack said:

If you're gonna pick someone from Megadeth to be in a list of best players, it wouldn't be Mustaine, it would be Friedman.

Totally agreed, Friedman and Mustaine's solos on Rust in Peace are all killer; I haven't dug much into Friedman's solo work, but losing him was a big loss for the band after Risk was released.  I love Megadeth, but it's sad when Mustaine seems to have a bad relationship with most, if not all of his ex-bandmates.  Chris Broderick wasn't half-bad either.

Back on topic, gonna have to rec my favorite B album:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gackt said:

Lately I'm very into the laid-back blues pikes, fitting for the coming of fall..it's often difficult to recommend specific ones because there's so many greats :lol:

I really love the laid-back and acoustic Pikes, because he showed that he can do more than the technical advanced stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I really love the laid-back and acoustic Pikes, because he showed that he can do more than the technical advanced stuff. 

Exactly, Pearson's Square especially fits well alongside albums like Colma & Shadows Between the Sky.

Feels like Colma doesn't even get mentioned anymore, even though it belongs in every Buckethead starter pack :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gackt said:

Lately I'm very into the laid-back blues pikes, fitting for the coming of fall..it's often difficult to recommend specific ones because there's so many greats :lol:

Bumper Cars is so fucking cool. Easily one of my favourite individual Bucket tracks, it sounds like early Chili Peppers. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, Gackt said:

Totally agreed, Friedman and Mustaine's solos on Rust in Peace are all killer; I haven't dug much into Friedman's solo work, but losing him was a big loss for the band after Risk was released. 

Even before Megadeth, when he was in Cacophony with Jason Becker, he was doing some special work instrumentally. But after leaving Megadeth he truly cut loose creatively. It's like he was only painting with one brush and one colour in that band, and now he can use the full range. Really digging his albums like Music For Speeding, Loudspeaker and especially Infrerno.

7 hours ago, thunderram said:

Furthermore, all I've really learned from this thread (and others) -- aside from Buckethead fans having reading comprehension issues and generally feeling insecure -- is that it's apparently OK to critique Myles Kennedy and his voice/vocal style but it's not OK to critique Buckethead in a similar manner. The truly hypocritical part is several of the Buckethead guys crying over him are the same ones trashing Myles Kennedy in other threads and not caring when someone disagrees with them. How rich. You know what they say about the shoe being on the other foot .....

No idea why these people feel so defensive in regards to buckethead criticism, the guy is a fn weirdo that is known for his weird performances its almost part of the show a guy like this being criticized by regular people and im pretty sure most of his sucess comes from curiosity and being a weirdo. 

He is a strange creature that most of the time do weird bleep music, extremely technically skilled, but still a weirdo. So the criticism is just natural.

When people criticize Myles is the other way around, the guy ia criticized for being way too normal and a nice guy overall. One has way too much personality and the other has zero personality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, default_ said:

He is a strange creature that most of the time do weird bleep music, extremely technically skilled, but still a weirdo. So the criticism is just natural.

I gave some examples that Bucket can play more than that, but you have just ignored them. Bucket puts a lot of feeling in some of his songs and that's what you don't want to realise.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I gave some examples that Bucket can play more than that, but you have just ignored them. Bucket puts a lot of feeling in some of his songs and that's what you don't want to realise.

Im not ignoring, Im just talking about the general perception over the guy, not just mine. Outside the hardcores he is basically known for the weird stuff.