Did Axl really did surgeries on his voice?

This has been speculated over the years, and even was an explanation for his vocal changes from 93 to 96, to 98, from 99 to 01, and mostly, for the 2006 - 2010 era.

But what evidence do we have? besides the day and night differences on his voice.  
I mean - Do we have interviews? articles? whatever?

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Hello, NeonKinight.

Thank you for asking.

My name is Wagszilla or Doctor Thaddeus T. Wagszilla as I am known in my professional circles.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity that yes, W. Axl Rose has had vocal polyps surgery many times in his career.

How do I know?

Why, jumping Jehoshaphat, I performed the surgeries myself!

The surgery was performed in a hospital at an undisclosed location with dim lighting, a variety of handpicked scented candles, a small group of African witch doctors chanting quietly in unison, as Yanni's greatest hits were played in the background.

All in all, it took about 3 hours per surgery. 

You are welcome.

All of that is indeed correct except that it was, in fact, Kenny G being played in the background, not Yanni.

2 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

lol.

does anyone know if polyps caused by singing can become cancerous?

No.  They are not the same type of polyp as the ones in the colon.  The ones in the colon are caused by cell mutations and are pretty much all pre-cancerous.  Vocal chord polyps are "injuries" to the vocal chords.  They would not exist if something physical didn't cause them.

It's definitely possible that he may have had something sorted.

I would say Axl is singing better now (2016 onward) than what he was 2011-14, but the biggest mystery to me was the change from December 2010 to October 2011. 

If I was in attendance at the China Exchange, I'd definitely have pressed about something along those lines, I know someone did but I'd have tried to keep it more about live performances as opposed to letting Axl refer back to the Chinese sessions.

Obviously all well and good typing that out on here, the reality is my arse would have crumbled as soon as I held the mic :lol:

5 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

No.  They are not the same type of polyp as the ones in the colon.  The ones in the colon are caused by cell mutations and are pretty much all pre-cancerous.  Vocal chord polyps are "injuries" to the vocal chords.  They would not exist if something physical didn't cause them.

cool, thank you man.

14 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

He worked really really hard with a vocal coach to get his voice cleaner.

as a professional singer I’m confident his voice needed some maintenance in the form of surgeries to protect his voice.

but I’d say the style he changed to was intentional 

This. Some of the re-recordings on Live Era are very reminiscent of his '86-era self, albeit sounding a bit older.
He didn't lose the rasp. He got rid of the husky tone of his voice, which is also why he could no longer do those crazy overtone howls. I see the cleaner tone as a deliberate change.

• Like 2

The one thing that interested me about this recent Looney Tunes thing was to hear that Axl still has that amazing voice when he wants to. It tells me that when he plays live, he sings in a certain style to preserve his voice, but will then revert back to the 100 % vocal style in the studio. So although he may have had surgery, it seems like the cleaner vocal style is at least on some level deliberate.