Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is not really within the realm of science, is it?

I think I was talking about climate change experts, that includes scientists and everybody who spends their livelihoods looking at the mitigating factors of climate change. But yes, I will always listen to what experts say on any subject. I have an enormous respect for people who study stuff and spend their time understanding things. I find that such a relief because then I don't have to. In fact, this out-sourcing or distributed effort of figuring things out which means that not everybody have to invent the wheel and that we can inherit knowledge from other separated from us in time and space, is the moat astonishing aspect of humanity. It means that we can overcome our individual stupidity.

I believe lots of stuff that isn't scientifically proven. But I never believe anything that isn't supported by facts. 

Hmm, so when it comes to mitigating climate change, my attitude of accepting the advise of actual experts on the field and supporting their conclusions, is part of the problem? Now, that's another of the stupid things that you routinely post here. You can't seriously blame us for pointing out that you post moronic things. If you want me to stop pointing it out you simply have to stop posting.

in this instance, you use science to justify "not" changing your behaviour. I'd call that "science shopping"

if a salesman doesn't want to drink his own brewsel, my simple mind tells me to walk the other way

Edited by action

8 minutes ago, action said:

in this instance, you use science to justify "not" changing your behaviour. I'd call that "science shopping"

You'd be right if I only agreed with the scientific consensus when it suited me. I don't. As I sad before, I would be a sad man if I had the arrogance to disagree with what thousands of people who spend their lives studying something agrees on. 

All this being said, it isn't really the scientific community that suggests mitigating actions to climate change, those suggestions comes out of the intersection between scientists (like the IPCC), KOLs, politicians, and environmental agencies. Still, I would be a sad man if I were to reject the opinion of these experts.

8 minutes ago, action said:

if a salesman doesn't want to drink his own brewsel, my simple mind tells me to walk the other way

What? :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster

On 07/01/2020 at 2:35 PM, Dazey said:

The fire itself doesn't need to reach across to physically come into contact with anything. The actual heat radiated by the fire can cause dry woodland etc to spontaneously combust without coming into contact with the flames. Wood will start to burn if it gets to about 250oC without any direct source of ignition.

Just make the moat wider then. 

Oh how I wish the stupid boomer conservative argument of "it's cold outside what are you liberals talking about with this climate change" would die so we can actually debate policy prescriptions rather than is this happening. 

Edit: apologies to boomers...#NotAllBoomers

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

On 09/01/2020 at 5:14 PM, action said:

it's frustrating talking to someone who only believes what is scientifically proven.

You should try the opposite then. Its a delicate balance between not wanting to offend and explaining what a fact is without appearing to be patronizing.

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

We'll just make the world out of moat then shall we? :lol: 

Gazza will bring the KFC 😄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And strangely enough, Norway was included in that demographics. Still, the point of that particular visualization wasn't for people to see climate change in their respective country, but to see that the overall trend, despite regional variations, is that the planet is getting warmer.

So Belgium perhaps ain’t doin’ so much damage, hence not included?  Nice one Belgium...and cheers for Stella too!

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So Belgium perhaps ain’t doin’ so much damage, hence not included?  Nice one Belgium...and cheers for Stella too!

well, that's good to know then.

*orders another cheeseburger*

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Poor Belgium... they are so often overlooked... het verdriet van België

lucky belgium, rather. it means we can go on doing as we were

England ain't on there either, so we must be doin' alright too, hurrah! :D

1 minute ago, action said:

well, that's good to know then.

*orders another cheeseburger and stuffs the styrofoam container down the throat of a duck whoose feet are tangled in the plastic beer can holder-togetherer ring thing*

Fixed :D

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It doesn't show how much damage they are doing, but how much their domestic climate is changing as measured by change sin temperatures over the last century or so. It simply isn't fair. The countries doing the most damage isn't necessarily the countries taking the most damage. This is more apparent from this little infographic:

Carbon-Dioxide-Emissions-vs-Vulnerability-to-Climate-Change-by-Nation-climate-change-facts-infographic

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

England ain't on there either, so we must be doin' alright too, hurrah! :D

Here's the change in temperature for England:

EUROPE-United_Kingdom-England-1884-2018-

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It doesn't show how much damage they are doing, but how much their domestic climate is changing as measured by change sin temperatures over the last century or so. It simply isn't fair. The countries doing the most damage isn't necessarily the countries taking the most damage. This is more apparent from this little infographic:

Carbon-Dioxide-Emissions-vs-Vulnerability-to-Climate-Change-by-Nation-climate-change-facts-infographic

Here's the change in temperature for England:

EUROPE-United_Kingdom-England-1884-2018-

Could it not concievably get better like the way the big patch of blue at the beginning chilled out later on?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Could it not concievably get better like the way the big patch of blue at the beginning chilled out later on?

What the graphs show is that the temperature fluctuates (it is not a uniform gradient towards warmer weather); in periods it gets warmer, in periods it gets colder; but the overall trend (as you can see for the globe, for Norway, for Belgium, and for England) is that the trend is that it is getting warmer, and rapidly so. Of course, the climate fluctuates on a larger scale too (just think of periodic ice ages), and it is absolutely conceivable that at some point natural variation may result in a cooling period that takes us back to "normality". What worries the scientists though, is that the heating seen now (and shown in the graphs) is quicker than what we have measured has happened ever before, and that there is a human component to this that might suppress or overcome natural tendencies to cool in the future, resulting in a runaway process that will just result in the earth getting warmer and warmer. Anyway, these graphs doesn't really say anything about the causes, just demonstrates that the earth is warming, but with regional variation.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What the graphs show is that the temperature fluctuates (it is not a uniform gradient towards warmer weather); in periods it gets warmer, in periods it gets colder; but the overall trend (as you can see for the globe, for Norway, for Belgium, and for England) is that the trend is that it is getting warmer, and rapidly so. Of course, the climate fluctuates on a larger scale too (just think of periodic ice ages), and it is absolutely conceivable that at some point natural variation may result in a cooling period that takes us back to "normality". What worries the scientists though, is that the heating seen now (and shown in the graphs) is quicker than what we have measured has happened ever before, and that there is a human component to this that might suppress or overcome natural tendencies to cool in the future, resulting in a runaway process that will just result in the earth getting warmer and warmer. Anyway, these graphs doesn't really say anything about the causes, just demonstrates that the earth is warming, but with regional variation.

How long have we been measuring...or is that a stupid question? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How long have we been measuring...or is that a stupid question? :lol:

I think it is pretty good question. I guess it will vary from country to country. But scientists can calculate previous temperatures through more indirect means, and that way get temperatures and climate data from before humans even existed.