Brian May and Perhaps

I am posting this in a separate thread because it's not a comment about the music and the song itself, so I thought maybe it was better giving it its own space. If mods think it belongs to the Perhaps leak thread feel free to merge, of course.

My question is: how did we get to "officially" know it's Brian May on this song? I'm not disputing it, it's obvious it's him when you listen to the track, but for a long time it wasn't really known/confirmed that a third song with Brian existed. The first time I heard about it is when Rick posted that message in July talking about some of the content of the locker cds (he said Hardschool was the real title of Jackie Chan, that there was a third track with Brian May called Perhaps etc). Then when the pics of the cds leaked, Brian's name wasn't anywhere if I remember well. So how is it known it's him, other than listening to the track and sounding like him?

Again, not disputing anything, it's obviously his guitar, just wondering if there is a source about this that I'm missing.

I believe the closest thing to it is a Brian May interview where this is stated:

We had a long night, talking, thinking, figuring out potential directions, and then I had a couple of days just trying things out. I think I played on two-and-a-half tracks, but they didn’t end up using my parts. They used about 10 guitarists subsequent to that! I have rough mixes of these tracks somewhere in my archive, but I’m not going to let anyone listen to them, out of loyalty to Axl! It was fun, to throw something in there to help out a friend.”

Two and a half tracks, meaning rounding that up to three songs total, Perhaps being the only other one with Brian's guitar sound and phrasing

• Like 1

There is also this one from May 2000 where he said he played on three tracks:

Brian May: [...] [Axl] said: "Brian, can you come and do stuff which I WILL LIKE, (laughing) and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?" So I did, I went over there, and I think I played on three tracks, and messed around on various other things, but it worked out pretty well as far as I can tell. 

He also talks quite a bit in that same interview about how the sessions went down and the amount of material he had heard:

https://brianmay.com/brian/radio/radioone10may00/radioone10may00.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He also talks quite a bit in that same interview about how the sessions went down and the amount of material he had heard:

https://brianmay.com/brian/radio/radioone10may00/radioone10may00.html

What's interesting is that he says he replaced Finck on a few tracks. I wonder if there are any demos anywhere of Atlas, Perhaps, and Catcher with Finck on them? Did Bucket ever touch those songs? It's so weird that Bucket doesn't have any credits on Catcher on the final album version, maybe that track just went Finck -> May -> Bumblefoot.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2019 at 6:28 AM, Twinaleblood said:

I am posting this in a separate thread because it's not a comment about the music and the song itself, so I thought maybe it was better giving it its own space. If mods think it belongs to the Perhaps leak thread feel free to merge, of course.

My question is: how did we get to "officially" know it's Brian May on this song? I'm not disputing it, it's obvious it's him when you listen to the track, but for a long time it wasn't really known/confirmed that a third song with Brian existed. The first time I heard about it is when Rick posted that message in July talking about some of the content of the locker cds (he said Hardschool was the real title of Jackie Chan, that there was a third track with Brian May called Perhaps etc). Then when the pics of the cds leaked, Brian's name wasn't anywhere if I remember well. So how is it known it's him, other than listening to the track and sounding like him?

Again, not disputing anything, it's obviously his guitar, just wondering if there is a source about this that I'm missing.

After listening a lot (I loved the song), I got a bit confused about the solo.

Do we know for sure it's Brian May in Perhaps? I don't. Like a friend said, there's some licks there that reminds Robin's style. And it sounds like a humbucker tone. 

It's frustrating because most of the time I can say who is playing what just by hearing it. I'm still not convinced it's Brian May here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

After listening a lot (I loved the song), I got a bit confused about the solo.

Do we know for sure it's Brian May in Perhaps? I don't. Like a friend said, there's some licks there that reminds Robin's style. And it sounds like a humbucker tone. 

It's frustrating because most of the time I can say who is playing what just by hearing it. I'm still not convinced it's Brian May here. 

I actually love the solo, it's my favorite part of the song, wish it was longer. Sounds a lot like Brian but could be Finck.

16 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

I actually love the solo, it's my favorite part of the song, wish it was longer. Sounds a lot like Brian but could be Finck.

Indeed, it's also my favorite part. I love how it sustain a longer note in the middle, thought that was a very tasteful work.

Where's the Queen fans here to help me out and figure if its really Brian May? 

14 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Where's the Queen fans here to help me out and figure if its really Brian May? 

For me its kinda obvious its May on the tracks, theres his signature sound.
Theres a queen forum thats pretty active, I checked it out and it seems people over there dont really know anything about the leaks, if anyone wants to reach the guys over there, heres the link:

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/

2 minutes ago, default_ said:

For me its kinda obvious its May on the tracks, theres his signature sound.
Theres a queen forum thats pretty active, I checked it out and it seems people over there dont really know anything about the leaks, if anyone wants to reach the guys over there, heres the link:

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/

Valeu cara!

It is obvious in Catcher and Atlas. My problem is specific with Perhaps. I'll try to reach some fellows over this forum, thanks. 

I'd consider myself a life long Queen fan even more so than a gnr fan. It's really hard to tell there's definitely hints of the red special buried somewhere in the mix. however the solo doesnt sound like anything i'd expect from Brian May it's just not his style imo. However I could be totally wrong and it could be him trying something out his normal style, maybe something more suitable to the gnr style who knows.

46 minutes ago, grouse said:

I'd consider myself a life long Queen fan even more so than a gnr fan. It's really hard to tell there's definitely hints of the red special buried somewhere in the mix. however the solo doesnt sound like anything i'd expect from Brian May it's just not his style imo. However I could be totally wrong and it could be him trying something out his normal style, maybe something more suitable to the gnr style who knows.

I know right? When you listen to his solos in Catcher and Atlas, it's almost immediatly recognizable. In Perhaps, on the other hand...

It doesnt help that the mix is so bad, the solo itself is pretty hard to hear. I managed to learn how to play it, but I feel there's some few notes that I just couldn't make it out. 

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

I know right? When you listen to his solos in Catcher and Atlas, it's almost immediatly recognizable. In Perhaps, on the other hand...

It doesnt help that the mix is so bad, the solo itself is pretty hard to hear. I managed to learn how to play it, but I feel there's some few notes that I just couldn't make it out. 

Why are you trying to make out with the notes?

So yeah, I dont think it's Brian May, but Robin Finck.

I sent the track to some Queen fans and they all thought it wasnt Brian too: http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1567328/brian-mays-solos-with-guns-n-roses.aspx?anchor=1567461

Maybe if we ever get another version of this song we could say for sure, but right now, I wouldn't say it's a Brian May solo at all. And it's further proof of how good solos Robin can write. 

9 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

So yeah, I dont think it's Brian May, but Robin Finck.

I sent the track to some Queen fans and they all thought it wasnt Brian too: http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1567328/brian-mays-solos-with-guns-n-roses.aspx?anchor=1567461

Maybe if we ever get another version of this song we could say for sure, but right now, I wouldn't say it's a Brian May solo at all. And it's further proof of how good solos Robin can write. 

Well that could mean there is still another Brian song we haven't heard yet then.