STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

32 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

You cant have an honest dialogue with this lot when it comes to these new films (I learned that earlier in this thread). They throw out condescending remarks like "nostalgia" and "rose tinted glasses" when you talk about the fact that the OT is considered almost perfect. Yet they dont see their own hypocrisy when discussing the sequel trilogy. Like seriously who is viewing things through "rose colored glasses?" 

DD, I've always found you to be an intelligent and interesting person to have these online conversations with. While we haven't always agreed, we disagreed from a place of respect and open exchange of thought and ideas. That is something that this forum is secerly lacking since Downzy took over imo. You have to agree with modern "woke" ideals, if not you get demonized. 

Take this tread for example, (while I admit that my words probably did come across condescendingly) the tone of which I wrote them got lost via written word. While if I had these same conversations in person (with all the same words used), certain people wouldn't of gotten so offended. Which I am by no means claiming innocence (I admit that I could have handled things differently) what I will say is that I NEVER directly attacked anyone in this thread. What I did was criticize a film series and say I feel "pity" for those that think these are good movies (because pity people growing up in an era that is handed such low quality from a series that was once considered THE best). But then what happend? I got personally attacked (I believe called "narrow minded" and "dumb") by someone I actually used to consider a friend. Let me reiterate, I NEVER once criticized anyone directly, yet got that in return. 

Basically what I'm saying is that some members on here are incapable of having a discussion of opposing view points (disagreeing but trying to understand the opposing view). It's not just on this forum though, it's in our whole society. We live in a society now where "you must agree with me or you are my enemy." That's not a world where creativity and ideas can be encouraged, but rather discouraged out of fear of being ostracized. 

Which irony of it all is this is just a film series, just movies. But as I've said, those throwing out these derogatory terms need to look in the mirror, perhaps they projecting their own faults on others? 

As for the film itself, I haven't seen it (and dont have any desire to). I've heard all the leaks, and I dont think I would hate it, no. But the problems caused by TLJ have ruined this film as well (just like I knew they would). The Last Jedi destroyed the Skywalker Saga, plain and simply. I just cant forgive the fact that a film series that has ALWAYS relied on the trilogy format, has been lessened to 3 stand alone sequels pretending to be a trilogy. As much damage as the prequels did is NOTHING compared to the damage caused by the sequel trilogy. Look at the numbers, the film isn't performing nearly as well. The Force Awakins did GREAT coming off of the prequels, but now the films are progressively doing worse and worse. That HAS to be a direct correlation with the quality of films being made. 

For the record, I dont care if Downzy suspends or bans me for this post.

Why would we suspend or ban you for this post?

Personally, I find the post hilarious. You wrote out a big huge post that accuses everyone else on the forum of being unable to accept the opinions of others. Except it's only you who have gone on about how you can't accept the opinions of others. That's really funny. 

No one else is insulting each other over differing opinions. You're the only one doing that. Diesel, Patrick and I alone are having huge disappointments without even coming close to insulting each other. Again, you're the only one doing that. 

As far as how the forum is run, @downzytakes a shit load of heat for that but the direction of the site has far more to do with me than it does him. Yes, he owns the site but he's given me extreme free reign to run the majority of things without much interference.

The biggest complaint I had with the forum prior to my time here was that barely anyone could have an intelligent dialog about anything. The site was littered with trolls insulting each other in any way possible. 

Our policy since I've been here has more or less been "debate all you want, but do it without insults". A far more elevated discussion can be had if people can present their arguments without resorting to insults. We've never censored anyone, ever. Regardless of what you might read on another forum (hi fellas, I'm aware you all still read here regularly), we do not censor. We merely ask that users present their argument without insulting others. 

You are literally the only person in this thread who's unable to do that. Everyone else has been able to engage in lively and sometimes heated debates without needing to insult others. 

Edit-

Just because the OT is "considered almost perfect" doesn't make it fact. It's the definition of rose colored glasses to claim so. As I mentioned previously; bad acting, plot holes and major continuity issues are all over those movies. If those things make movies "almost perfect" than the new trilogy must be a masterpiece! 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Have you not seen it Dazey? I think you'll consider it worse than Brexit.

Does that mean I’ll have to spend the next 12 months arguing with you about it only to concede defeat as you declare a Pyrrhic victory midst the burning embers of our civilisation? :lol: 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Yes, JJ making a worse movie is the director of the last movie's fault 🙄. JJ not doing anything new and just going "this is star wars!!!" is Rian's fault. 

I didn't say that. What happened here is a cluster of bad decisions by multiple people. Of course Rian isn't the only one to blame, but TLJ did not give much to 9 to work with.

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My wife, son and I were going to go see it again today but we can't find 3 seats together at any theater anywhere near us. I didn't think of that when I made plans for today haha. 

Guess that means it’s doing well. Variety is reporting that it’ll make $195 million domestically in total for the full weekend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Guess that means it’s doing well. Variety is reporting that it’ll make $195 million domestically in total for the full weekend.

I just looked and tomorrow is the same way too. Dammit. We have a TON of theaters within a half hour of us and they're all showing it on many, many screens. None of them have even one showing that has 3 seats together. I miscalculated lol

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just looked and tomorrow is the same way too. Dammit. We have a TON of theaters within a half hour of us and they're all showing it on many, many screens. None of them have even one showing that has 3 seats together. I miscalculated lol

Damn, sorry to hear you can’t get a showing for you and your wife and kid. Oh well. Like I said, at least this means the movie is doing well. :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Damn, sorry to hear you can’t get a showing for you and your wife and kid. Oh well. Like I said, at least this means the movie is doing well. :lol:

Yeah, we'll live. Or rather, THEY'LL live haha. My wife doesn't really care but my son is dying from having not seen it yet lol

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

My wife, son and I were going to go see it again today but we can't find 3 seats together at any theater anywhere near us. I didn't think of that when I made plans for today haha. 

United Artist Commerce is always empty. Its my favorite theater

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, downzy said:

Ughh... this again.  

If Rey was such a "Mary Sue," why did she need saving from Kylo in her showdown with Snoke?  

I honestly don't understand how people complain about this but give James Bond, Luke Skywalker, Aragorn...

It's insane that men give female characters such a hard time for being inexplicably gifted but don't seem to have a problem with male characters.

I have to get back to this. In LOTR movies we see Arwen ruin Nazguls as she summoned the big water wave and nobody questions her either. Nobody questioned Daenerys in GoT, as a matter of fact, people got mad after it turned out she wasn't perfect. Hell, Hermione in Harry Potter series was the most perfect of them 3

And that's only some of the biggest franchises

28 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

So was it good? I have a friend who went and he loved it. going again today.

I know the fans will love it. I never cared what critics say about a movie. I will go if I like or love it.

I know it'll be sad to not have anymore SW movies. But like I said these movies made tons of fans happy. I know I'm one of them.

I loved it personally. Also, this isn't the end of all Star Wars movies, just the end of the Skywalker Saga. 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Why would we suspend or ban you for this post?

Well, Downzy once gave me a 3 day suspension for some b.s. (which I'm sure he never informed any mods he did it). It boils down to the fact he just plain doesnt like me (which is fine), but he DID use his "power" to shut me up and then hide behind some b.s. So you can see how I might think it could happen again at any notice. (For the record he said I was diverting a thread topic, although I was talking about a political issue within a politics thread). He just didnt agree with my point of view. 

Anyways Russ, I've never had any issues with you, but I'm not going to address your post point by point either. All I will say is that I did not address ANYONE in this thread personally until they personally came at me. Go back and read the posts. I never said "so and so is dumb because he likes these films." I made a broad generalization about the films (that could represent anyone or no one in particular). But then people got offended like I attacked them personally. So everything I'm being accused of here I find to be very presumptuous on certain members parts. Which it all comes back to the fact that I word the used "pity." Because I pity that Star Wars has been reduced to this, that children are growing up with THIS as their Star Wars. 

My Lord, hang me from the gallows.

6 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Well, Downzy once gave me a 3 day suspension for some b.s. (which I'm sure he never informed any mods he did it). It boils down to the fact he just plain doesnt like me (which is fine), but he DID use his "power" to shut me up and then hide behind some b.s. So you can see how I might think it could happen again at any notice. (For the record he said I was diverting a thread topic, although I was talking about a political issue within a politics thread). He just didnt agree with my point of view. 

Anyways Russ, I've never had any issues with you, but I'm not going to address your post point by point either. All I will say is that I did not address ANYONE in this thread personally until they personally came at me. Go back and read the posts. I never said "so and so is dumb because he likes these films." I made a broad generalization about the films (that could represent anyone or no one in particular). But then people got offended like I attacked them personally. So everything I'm being accused of here I find to be very presumptuous on certain members parts. Which it all comes back to the fact that I word the used "pity." Because I pity that Star Wars has been reduced to this, that children are growing up with THIS as their Star Wars. 

-Gatekeeps and insults people

-Gets called out for it

-Starts throwing a tantrum and doubles down on the gatekeeping (lol at the age argument)

K

So Mike, this is the thread for the movie. What did you think about the film? I thought you said you werent going to see it

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

LOL.... So your argument is that you didn't insult anyone specifically? You just insulted everyone in general who likes these films. Got it. 

I've never had a problem with you either, but the fact is that you made an insulting and condescending post that was aimed at anyone who disagrees with you. 

Then you went on to insult Downzy and the forum, making claims that we don't allow anyone to have a difference of opinion. That couldn't be further from the truth, so the only reason I interjected was to point that out.

We have a long standing policy of not allowing insults and we're not going to change that anytime soon. 

• Like 2