Looking back on 2006...

I can't believe how critical 'we' were of Axl's appearance/weight, voice etc back then. I mean he was pretty fit/moved around a lot, rocked jeans and a t-shirt at times (esp. the UK leg) and vocals were quite consistent. They always rocked out a great' Nightrain' and we got those passionate 'Out Ta Get Me' performances!

Also, the crowds seemed more energetic and into it than these days.

One of my favourite Heaven's Door screams is from Manchester, England 06:

Edited by AppetiteForGnR

I have to ask, when did Axl officially stop having the cornrows hairstyle?

Sometime between 2007 and the end of 2009 I guess.

The first picture of him since the 2007 tour was at LAX in 2009, punching a paparazzi before boarding the plane to Taiwan.

2006 was when I REALLY started getting into guns n roses. Coincided perfectly with their North America tour, which I ended up catching the winnipeg stop. I was 16 and I still consider that one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

I remember thinking he looked great for his age but needed to loose the corn rows. I was happy when he did, but now I'm starting to miss them. He was just in such good shape in 06 and sounded amazing. Those were good days.

Edited by Gunner55

I was not a fan of his 2002 braids, but the 2006 incarnation of them worked nicely with the rest of his buffed out look.

In this era he really pulled off the uber masculine rock star look well, which was an interesting departure from his 80's-90's pretty boy look (and suited his age better at the time).

And of course, as others above have noted, his voice was on point.

guys, Axl never had cornrows that we know of. He merely had braids tied back into a pony tail. I'm surprised more people have never wondered what he looked like back then without the ponytailed braids.

he was bald

• Like 1

Ah, 2006. What a lovely time. That's when I decided to actually make an account here, saw 2 shows, the leaks, Hammerstein, 13 Tuesdays, Axl on fire, VMA's, the Harley Davidson mess, Merck getting fired, etc.

I kid you not, as the last few Tuesdays were drawing closer with no sight of the album coming, there was a legit thread on here about how CD would be packaged as a different album by a different band and would be released secretively. As told by an HMV employee, of course.

• Like 1

On the issue of Axl's hair. It was 30% real hair and 70% braids. The hair you see now was tied into the fake braids to give a more natural look. It was not just a wig sitting on his head.

Back to the real topic, 2006 was amazing! Go watch any song from the Los Angeles gig and it is absolutely stunning how great he sounded and how great he moved. The end of 06 was to me when he started to shine.

From what I remember of this place back then, 2006 was a pretty optimistic time and Axl was viewed really favorably.

It was the 2001 VMAs through 2005... Axl hadn't figured out his singing and Buckethead was throwing people for a loop.

Personally I was really skeptical of NuGNR and was way more interested in Velvet Revolver, but the 2006 performances really won a lot of people over. It was the 2 year wait until CD (which felt imminent at the time) that really killed that momentum.

Edited by Ant

Bump.

Just stumbled across this one for the first time. I keep forgetting how great Axl looked back then, especially compared to now.

EDIT: The quality and sound of this video make it sound a bit like a video of the old band during ''It's So Easy'', brilliant.

Edited by UcudBmine

It was the 2 year wait until CD (which felt imminent at the time) that really killed that momentum.

This.

If CD came out in 2006, that year would have been 10/10 perfect.

Agreed. I always think that if Buckethead stayed in, the album came out and they performed new songs during the tour (more than just the leaks), Guns would've been completely unstoppable in '06.