Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Alexander Revisited this evening. Better than I remember.

The last director's cut he did is splendid, it just can't overcome how brutally miscast Colin Farrell is.

Even on blu ray, it is tough to overcome that dye job on his hair. I kind of wish Val had been still young enough to play Alexander. It's a shame how Val's career has turned out. Him and Mickey Rourke have really thrown it all away.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Watched Alexander Revisited this evening. Better than I remember.

The last director's cut he did is splendid, it just can't overcome how brutally miscast Colin Farrell is.
Even on blu ray, it is tough to overcome that dye job on his hair. I kind of wish Val had been still young enough to play Alexander. It's a shame how Val's career has turned out. Him and Mickey Rourke have really thrown it all away.

I know, Kilmer assholed himself out of the movies-that-don't-go-straight-to-DVD business. :(

So the Oscars came and went and I didn't have a clue what anyone was talking about (I hadn't seen any best picture nominee; saw Silver Linings Playbook in the meantime) so I got myself the following films to watch over the next two weeks or so:

• Argo
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild
  • Brave
  • Django Unchained
  • Life of Pi
  • Lincoln
  • The Master
  • Zero Dark Thirty

What order should I watch them in? Should I just go alphabetically?

Guest Len B'stard

Watched He Ran All The Way with John Garfield and Shelley Winters, Garfields a fuckin' forgotten genius of hollywood and a really important benchmark in modern acting, a precursor to that whole Brando, Dean, Newman, McQueen generation, basically he plays this guy who pulls a robbery with his friend and ends up taking this family hostage in their own house, sort of a precursor to The Desperate Hours with Humphrey Bogart, really a cracking fuckin' film and i believe the last one Garfield made before he got fucked over for not grassin' commies up to HUAC.

John Garfield and Paul Muni deserve shitloads more attention by film historians.

Watched He Ran All The Way with John Garfield and Shelley Winters, Garfields a fuckin' forgotten genius of hollywood and a really important benchmark in modern acting, a precursor to that whole Brando, Dean, Newman, McQueen generation, basically he plays this guy who pulls a robbery with his friend and ends up taking this family hostage in their own house, sort of a precursor to The Desperate Hours with Humphrey Bogart, really a cracking fuckin' film and i believe the last one Garfield made before he got fucked over for not grassin' commies up to HUAC.

John Garfield and Paul Muni deserve shitloads more attention by film historians.

You have an incredibly good taste in movies.

I'm watching The Passion right now.

Band of Outsiders, 400 Blows and Jules and Jim.

Masterpieces all...except Jules and Jim hasn't aged that well. The trailer is gangbusters, but Pain & Gain will depend on Bay not glossing over the real life fates of Whalberg and Johnson's characters.

Edited by Angelica

Guest Len B'stard

The Triple Echo - Brian Deacon, Glenda Jackson, Oliver Reed....Brian Deacon plays a lad in the army who goes AWOL hiding out at Glenda Jacksons where, to keep up the pre tense since he's on the run, dresses up as Glenda Jacksons sister and has to live as a woman, problem is a very loutish and horny Seargent played by Oliver Reed ends up fancying him/her :lol: It's actually a serious film too.

Sitting Target - Oliver Reed and Ian McShane, about a guy who escapes from prison to go kill his unfaithful girl, absolutely amazing gritty violent 70s british crime movie

The Great Scout & Cathouse Thursday - a mental western starring Lee Marvin and Oliver Reed. It's a bit thin on plot really, just sort of a madcap adventure type movie, Oliver Reed plays a half breed native American looking to cripple white America by impregnating as many white women as possible with the clap, he does this initially by kidnapping whores by the scores and looking to shag em, Lee Marvin plays Sam Longford, a frontiersman looking to get this guy back who robbed him of a load of gold they were prospecting. A weird highly misogynist comedy western thats just...well, fucking hilairious :D

Seen em all before but i'm having something of an Oliver Reed easter.

Edited by sugaraylen

Watched "Phil Spector", on HBO. Its worth watching just to see Al Pacino in those wigs. Not a very good movie, didn't convince me that Spector was innocent, if that was the intent of David Mamet. But worth a look. Helen Miren is always great, even with her clothes on.