Film Thread

ssiscool

Guest Len B'stard

Schindlers List is great, i've not seen Private Ryan though, don't look very interesting. I'll watch anything on the holocaust though, feel like i owe em somehow. Not that thats why i watched Schindlers List, it weren't an act of box ticking, it is actually a fantastic movie.

Edited by sugaraylen

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schindlers List is great, i've not seen Private Ryan though, don't look very interesting. I'll watch anything on the holocaust though, feel like i owe em somehow. Not that thats why i watched Schindlers List, it weren't an act of box ticking, it is actually a fantastic movie.

I held off watching that one for a long time. I just realized Private Ryan and Schindler's List had similar endings.

Unreleated, but might be interested. There was a documentary about Billy Joel's family that I thought was interesting. Billy's a minor figure in this story, he's just the "celebrity" draw for the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7z9NcBer8g

I like Saving Private Ryan, but I think it's really overrated. Easily trumped by The Thin Red Line, which came out the same year.

I agree The Thin Red Line is slightly better but Saving Private Ryan is worth a watch too.

Talking about films set in the WWII, that same year it also came out Life is beautiful, one of my favourite films ever. And it's funny that the Oscar went to Shakespeare in love. Like...really?!

I like Thin Red Line, but my favourite Malick movie is The New World, esp the extended cut. Tree of Life was a crushing disappointment for me, though, and I saw To The Wonder a while back and that was fucking boring, too. I thought Badlands was OK, but I really liked Days of Heaven. Just a real shame about his last two movies, whenever critics get into a circlejerk about how those films are "tone poems" or whatever I just see it as an "emperor's new clothes" scenario.

It's all about Badlands :)

Badlands is good, but have you seen The New World? It was amazing how that film got buried in cinema release schedules. I was at sixth form in Manchester when it came out, and the multiplexes like UGC and AMC weren't showing it, nor was the arthouse cinema the Cornerhouse. It was on one screen at the UCI Filmworks, I think, for about a week. It was one of those rare occasions where I really got lost in a movie, Colin Farrell and Christian Bale are great in it, as is the girl. Fell asleep first time trying to watch the Extended Cut (I was pretty knackered and Malick's movies *are* slow), but I watched it again and it helped flesh out the story a bit. Really weird story with cuts of that movie, it was released first in the US for a week at 150 mins, then came out a week later at only 135 mins but with some scenes that weren't in that previous version. The Extended Cut is about 170 mins, has it all.

So when Tree of Life was announced in 2007, I was so excited. I watched it twice in cinemas, trying to force myself to like it the second time, but I just couldn't. Even gave To The Wonder a chance, saw it with a friend who loved The Tree of Life, and even she found it boring. Such a shame. I saw the US trailer for To The Wonder just recently, Ben Affleck has 2 lines of dialogue in the trailer, which I'm pretty sure is more than he had in the whole movie!

Was Wayne's World anyone else's favorite childhood movie? I got the movie on VHS through McDonalds, back when Mickey D's sold movies, sometime in late '93 or early '94, my sister got it for me, and by April '94 I was singing the theme song happily and enthusiastically on our home movies and I wore out the VHS tape with repeated views over the next several years. It's still a movie that despite how cheesy or dated it may seem today, it's comforting to watch and brings me back to the happiest times of my childhood everytime I watch it.

Wayne's World and Look Who's Talking were probably the biggest movies of my childhood.

Armistad and Color Purple make up the Spielberg oscar borefest.

Theres one movie WW 2 i like The Reader.

I can see what Soderburg did, he got his prescription pill movie than made a hollywood ending. Its like two movies. I liked it mainly how he shoots stuff. I could hear half the movie cos it kept switching into russian.

This evening I saw The Place Beyond the Pines and Evil Dead. Evil Dead was an absolute piece of shit and The Place Beyond the Pines was quite good. It could have been great, but they kind of fuck it up in the last segment.

Edited by Randy Lahey