Film Thread

ssiscool

Guest Len B'stard

This was my first Casavettes movie. The Mechanic is Charlie's best, but you need to watch the whole Death Wish series at some point.

Casavettes has evaded me as much as death wish.

Nah fuck that man, you wanna see Hard Times or Mr Majestyk first.

On topic:

Take A Girl Like You - Oliver Reed, Hayley Mills, post swinging sixties pill generation movie starring Oliver Reed as a local lothario trying to shag this bird thats moved into town but he discovers *gasp* she's a virgin! Sort of a comedy, which is odd considering it has a girl getting molested by a drunken landlord in it, different times i suppose (that excuse didn't work for Jimmy Saville though eh? :lol:). But yeah, he's basically this arch shagger but ends up falling in love with the one girl who won't give him a bit, pretty cool movie, very of it's time and it has a quirky sort of ending, i liked it :)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jurassic Park in 3D was incredible.

I was never really into the 3D thing, Avatar was cool but I always felt the 3D rendering killed the overall quality of the picture. The technology has certainly come a long way since then though, the 3D in Jurassic Park was very crisp and easy on the eyes, it really blew my mind. Hope they do The Lost World in 3D!!

so the evil dead remake was good? im a huge fan of the first 2 evil dead movies. i have put off watching this due to the fact i thought it would be like all the recent horror remakes and be really shitty.

Guest Len B'stard

Watched:

Night of the Hunter - Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters...probably one of the greatest movies i've ever seen, just a fuckin' total 10 out of 10 german expressionist nightmare of a film. Story basically is this guy pulls a robbery and hides a fuckload of money with his kids, a little boy and a little girl saying to never tell no one and keep it stashed for when they're older etc, the old man gets hung i believe but while he's in nick he tells his mate or his mate figures out that he'd stashed this cash somewhere around his house/living area etc so Robert Mitchum, who plays this mental preacher type cunt, the Dads mate, goes out and marries Shelley Winters who plays the guys widow with a view to working out where this money is.

One of the most beautiful photographed, acted, directed pieces of cinema ever. To this day, over half a century since release and 20 years since i first saw it and it fucking still works as a piece of film, it does it's job perfectly, Robert Mitchum is creepy as fuck but more than everything else is the colour and tone of the film, the stark angular way it's filmed, it's just so pleasing to the eye, like you could pause it at any point in the film and what you'd have in effect is a portrait waiting to be painted, it's just fucking beautiful, the use of shadows, of song, of religion, a seriously well put together piece of cinema, a total 10 out of 10 movie, one of the greatest i've ever seen and thats not suprising with Bob Mitchum and Shelley Winters on the job.

Castaway - Amanda Donohoe, Oliver Reed, basically Oliver Reed plays Gerald Kingsland, a writer that advertises in Time Out Magazine for a bird to come live with him on a tropical island for a year, its sort of a battle of sexes piece but not quite so hammy as all of that, the films kinda sympathetic to the woman in general and rightly so being that Oliver Reeds character is a chauvinist pig and really quite crude and blunt but it lends the film a degree of realism in that the characters dont always behave expressly sympathetically. Really good movie though :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Yeah, they did a great job with the conversion of Jurassic Park. I'm really considering seeing it again.

I fully support the idea of converting The Lost World. Some great scenes in that movie that would benefit from 3D :)

I honestly don't remember The Lost World at all.

Jurassic Park 3D in IMAX was incredible though.

Jurassic Park is pretty much a pg 13 summer blockbuster for kids though, right? If you didn't have any childhood nostalgia for it, do you think you would like it now? I just watched a preview for it, and It looks like something I would hate. I think I will check out the Evil Dead instead.

You've... never seen Jurassic Park? Or am I missing something.

I'm sure I would love it just as much now, even if I had never seen it growing up.

I've seen bits of it before, but I've never actually watched the whole movie.

I'm sure I would love it just as much now, even if I had never seen it growing up.

I hate you.

Its Michael Crichton. Sphere was most recent adapt? Private Latitudes might get made.

There is something classic about Jurassic Park, in the crafting of it. It doesnt really have any deep point. Its just dinosaurs come to life in a light action, light comedy.

Maybe we should clone dinosaurs. Good point.

Laura Dern, The Fly, Sam Neil.

I've never seen it either. I tried to watch it once a few months ago but I turned it off because I wasn't enjoying it. It was during a conversation about the coexistence of men and dinosaurs that was so stupid I had to take a break. Also I read that it has kid hackers, because it was the 90s, and really? fuck that.

I saw Django Unchained last night and it was really good, I was surprised.