Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw GI Joe last night. I was expecting a fun action movie and I wasn't disappointed. Very enjoyable, except for the 3D which was totally useless and not worth the extra money. Me and my one friend who absolutely despises 3D tried to convince our group (unsuccessfully) to wait for an hour for the 2D showing. :lol:

Jurassic Park was good. I especially enjoyed the music in it.

Yeah JP and it's sequel are two of my favorite film scores, can't go wrong with John Williams

You've... never seen Jurassic Park? Or am I missing something.

I'm sure I would love it just as much now, even if I had never seen it growing up.

I've seen bits of it before, but I've never actually watched the whole movie.

I've never seen it either. I tried to watch it once a few months ago but I turned it off because I wasn't enjoying it. It was during a conversation about the coexistence of men and dinosaurs that was so stupid I had to take a break. Also I read that it has kid hackers, because it was the 90s, and really? fuck that.

If you're not into science fiction or Michael Crichton's style of it, yeah it probably does seem ridiculous. My friend who's majoring in micro biology snickered at the part where the animated DNA character explains how they simply filled the gaps in the dinosaur DNA with frog DNA.

I think it's amazing though, in the book Crichton makes it all seem so plausible, he spends chapters focusing on it, they really dumbed down the scientific shit for the movie. The moral debate about man "playing god" and cloning something it has no idea how to control in the name of entertainment and profit always fascinated me, it's an interesting theme to build a story about dinosaurs in a modern world around. He was such a great author, RIP

Jurassic Park was pretty good, but by no means is it one of Spielberg's best. It doesn't come close to Jaws, Raiders, Last Crusade, Duel or Close Encounters.

I watched Compliance last night. People will do a lot if an authority figure tells them to do it.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

Watched half of The System (aka The Girl-Getters) starring Oliver Reed and David Hemmings, fucking sick so far, loving it, it's set in Weymouth and basically it's about this system that a bunch of local lads who work for like, y'know, things that cater for tourists and that, Oliver plays a beach photographer and basically they have this system set up which is like a bird pulling system whereby Olly gathers all their numbers and addresses being a beach photographer and they gather together and by way of a rota system work out which one they're gonna shag/try to pull/chat up. The idea being that this gang/group go around using all the holidays making crumpet that shows up there...until this one girl...

Wish i coulda watched it all, it really was brilliant, directed by Michael Winner, Julie Christie was gonna be in it originally but she pulled out, was just so knackered last night i passed out.

All Spielberg. He's made a lot of money for the studios.

Did Spielberg do Schindlers List and ET?

I saw a Spielberg the other day and didnt realize it was Spielberg. AI maybe. War of the Worlds?

Empire of the Sun? I think that was it.

Edited by Randy Lahey

A.I. is my favourite film of all time, with Barry Lyndon in second. Grew up with Spielberg as a kid (Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, etc.), dad introduced me to Kubrick in my teens, to me A.I. combined both sensibilities perfectly. And the ending gets me every time.

really liked the hobbit forgot how much i like howard shores score. was great fun going through middle earth again didn't find it overly long or inconsequential as some suggest or rather i liked that it was those things

felt weird seeing james nesbit tho lol

edit about to watch silver linings playbook

Edited by Estranged 14

silver linings play book was cool really good performances all round de niro looked really at home chris tucker bouncing in and out the film was perfectly judged, bradley cooper was a great interpretation

i dont know how to do the SPOILER but the end was remarkably similar to another indy film

still cute as a button tho

jennifer lawrence is practically babelicious