Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have just finished In Nelson's Wake: The Navy and the Napoleonic Wars by James Davey, a great book readdressing some of the erroneous historiography on the Royal Navy's role in the defeat of Napoleon, and have now commenced The Frigates by J. Henderson, relating numerous ''derring-do'' small ship actions like by captains such as Edward Pellew and Thomas Cochrane - the inspirations for Hornblower and Aubrey.

It’s sad how much human brain power goes into studying war.

1 hour ago, soon said:

It’s sad how much human brain power goes into studying war.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:16 PM, soon said:

Star Wars: Bloodline

uCzWNgfh.jpg

This canon novel seems like a good place to enter the Sequel Trilogy timeline (28 ABY). Disney would have me go back to directly after Return of the Jedi, but they don't know their ass from their face. Oddly for the rather Prequel-Shy Disney-era, this book seems to be all about govt negotiations - the worst and most boring aspect of the Prequels. Im looking forward to it though. It explains the origins of The Resistance and Leia is the main character.

Edit: this book, like the authors other sequel era Star Wars book, is basically a revolutionary-democrat procedural.  never heard of a rev-dem procedural but I’m here for it!! And Leias tactic and rhetoric is so dang tight I might nick some of it next time a meeting is going sideways!! Haha

Gonna jog through the relatively few Sequel-era adult novels and a selection of the Orginal Junior Readers real quick and then dive deep into OT, both canon and legend. Theres two Captain Phasma novels, so with any luck they will make her place in the movies matter at all :lol:

BCRThfBh.jpg

Vote Leia!!

At least mine are real!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So studying fake wars with plastic models and cgi is considered good whereas real military history is considered ''sad''?

My point was about the immense brain drain war demands. But yes, to answer your question, war is sad.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Requires no further brain power than most other form of history - somewhat more technical perhaps? 

In not sure it would be somehow washed clean in ratio to some other aspect of humanity.

Again, my point was about wars brain drain. Not limited to its focous in history. Other of our generations brightest minds study how to delivery nukes, for instance. A horrific waste of human potential.

5 minutes ago, soon said:

In not sure it would be somehow washed clean in ratio to some other aspect of humanity.

Again, my point was about wars brain drain. Not limited to its focous in history. Other of our generations brightest minds study how to delivery nukes, for instance. A horrific waste of human potential.

That is an indictment of the scientist and inventor, not the mere student.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is an indictment of the scientist and inventor, not the mere student.

They too study war.

Mine is an indictment of war. This is in harmony with human beings, not against them.

4 hours ago, soon said:

What is the new manifesto? I’m hungry for the next movement in art. Searching for the brand new beat. 

Anyone know where to look??

My brother knows Karl Marx
He met him eating mushrooms in the public park
He said: "What do you think of my manifesto?"
"I like your manifesto, put it to the testo"
Took me down to meet the anarchist party
Met a groovy guy, he was arty farty
Said: "I know a little Latin, a kissen an a kai
Said: "I dunno what it means", I said: "Neither do I"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

My brother knows Karl Marx
He met him eating mushrooms in the public park
He said: "What do you think of my manifesto?"
"I like your manifesto, put it to the testo"
Took me down to meet the anarchist party
Met a groovy guy, he was arty farty
Said: "I know a little Latin, a kissen an a kai
Said: "I dunno what it means", I said: "Neither do I"

That song opens the TV show Moone Boy! Terrific show. As much as I love it, I dont know that either the song nor the show represent the next movement in art. The search continues! lol

• Like 1

Finished Mark Lanegans book last night. Yup an arsehole. But a great great voice. I’m not really into his solo stuff, I remember Getting a cassette copy of whisky for the Holy Ghost when it was released and liking maybe 2 songs. 

I wish he’d get back with the screaming trees for 1 tour. It’ll never happen. Ever.
(I added that “ever”  after reading his book.)

But they were a killer band, sweet oblivion is an over looked album from that time. 

• Like 1

my god, reading sucks so much. so much effort. All that paper, all those letters and words. just look at the damn thing, it's a work of insanity.

they should make something funky with lights and sounds, that you put on your head, and the information of the book is automatically transferred to your brain, while you're watching a baywatch replay or something. then, when the baywatch episode is done, you got smarter. I can picture it before my eyes, it could be something the cool guys use, and update yearly like the newest smartphone.

Even guns n roses could release their own version. "Don't have the patience to read books? Does it take 14 years to finish a novel? Don't cry! This, you'll love. It's so easy to read books with this. Just move to the city, and get your headset today. " 

17 hours ago, action said:

my god, reading sucks so much. so much effort. All that paper, all those letters and words. just look at the damn thing, it's a work of insanity.

they should make something funky with lights and sounds, that you put on your head, and the information of the book is automatically transferred to your brain, while you're watching a baywatch replay or something. then, when the baywatch episode is done, you got smarter. I can picture it before my eyes, it could be something the cool guys use, and update yearly like the newest smartphone.

Even guns n roses could release their own version. "Don't have the patience to read books? Does it take 14 years to finish a novel? Don't cry! This, you'll love. It's so easy to read books with this. Just move to the city, and get your headset today. " 

You are describing an audio book. :lol:

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, soon said:

You are describing an audio book. :lol:

I've heard my first Audio books on MC's. It's crazy to think that this happened 20 years ago, isn't it?

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I've heard my first Audio books on MC's. It's crazy to think that this happened 20 years ago, isn't it?

It really is. As far as I understand from a documentary I saw, audio books have been especially popular in Germany. Do you agree?

(MC is “mini cassette?”)

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, Powderfinger said:

Finished Mark Lanegans book last night. Yup an arsehole. But a great great voice. I’m not really into his solo stuff, I remember Getting a cassette copy of whisky for the Holy Ghost when it was released and liking maybe 2 songs. 

I wish he’d get back with the screaming trees for 1 tour. It’ll never happen. Ever.
(I added that “ever”  after reading his book.)

But they were a killer band, sweet oblivion is an over looked album from that time. 

Almost sounds like a case of “never meet your hero’s” ?

I’ve enjoyed memoirs by Willie and Townsend among others, but I’m always a bit concerned that i might just learn what a dick sock a given rocker might be.

im looking forward to reading Dead drummer, Bill Kruetzmens memoir after the dead history I’m reading currently. 

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Almost sounds like a case of “never meet your hero’s” ?

I’ve enjoyed memoirs by Willie and Townsend among others, but I’m always a bit concerned that i might just learn what a dick sock a given rocker might be.

im looking forward to reading Dead drummer, Bill Kruetzmens memoir after the dead history I’m reading currently. 

I did meet Lanegan once, gruff and brief, he signed a setlist for me. It’s the most “warts and all” book I’ve read by any rocker. Some of them warts being of the genital variety.... 

• Haha 1