The Dark Knight Rises

axl_on_drums

nope.

seems like he's getting a little more backlash now, though. nolan's been so successful and consistent with his movies, but thematically his style is pretty much always the same, and as his movies get bigger and more expensive and bloated you'll see more critics who formerly supported him deriding him - for being repetitive, being a sellout. but it'll be phrased in different ways. it's happening right now with this one. critics' complaints against the movie - it's bloated, too dark, too depressing, too 'preachy' with its politics, etc. - could be equally applied to TDK. it's almost like selective criticism. i mean i don't want to assume too much since i haven't seen the film yet, but i don't get why all these critics are acting like it's so shocking that the movie is overwhelming and depressing and bleak when TDK was exactly the same way...and the same critics complaining now were raving back then...

overall though it's still getting great reviews, it's just the few negative or middle-of-the-road ones confuse me for their choice of criticisms as they seem oddly applicable to the rest of the series.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I always felt The Dark Knight was overrated because Ledger died, if he was still alive today it would have gotten nowhere near as many positive reviews. Don't get me wrong, it is a great film but I think some critics were afraid to attack it because of Ledger.

Personally I always felt The Dark Knight was overrated because Ledger died, if he was still alive today it would have gotten nowhere near as many positive reviews. Don't get me wrong, it is a great film but I think some critics were afraid to attack it because of Ledger.

Awesome film but that bit with the boats at the end was a load of bollocks I'm sorry. Totally unbelievable as far as I'm concerned. :shrugs:

Guest Len B'stard

Awesome film but that bit with the boats at the end was a load of bollocks I'm sorry. Totally unbelievable as far as I'm concerned. :shrugs:

On the other hand, it is ostensibly a film about a man named Bruce that runs around at night in a giant rubber bat outfit fighting crime :rofl-lol:

On the other hand, it is ostensibly a film about a man named Bruce that runs around at night in a giant rubber bat outfit fighting crime :rofl-lol:

Add in a few more names and take away the bit about fighting crime and you just described half the cabinet you cynical fuck! :lol:

Perhaps, but I wouldn't overrate Ledger's performance - I thought he was superb.

Anyone know where to stream it online? I used to know a great site, but they got shut down a couple years ago.

You're a fucking moron if you stream on a website anyway.

I'll see it in the theater..I'm just bored at work today and looking for something to do..

Perhaps, but I wouldn't overrate Ledger's performance - I thought he was superb.

Surerb indeed! I admit that when I first heard that Brokeback is doing Batman I thought negative about it. After seeing it, priceless! :popcorn:

Is it just me or is it not hyped up as much as The Dark Knight?

Or am I just living in more of a sheltered world this time around?

I think you're right. Bane isn't the Joker . and Catwoman isn' really a huge draw.

If it would have been the Riddler then i think it would have been a bigger sell on TV.

Is it just me or is it not hyped up as much as The Dark Knight?

Or am I just living in more of a sheltered world this time around?

I think you're right. Bane isn't the Joker . and Catwoman isn' really a huge draw.

If it would have been the Riddler then i think it would have been a bigger sell on TV.

I work at a Movie Theater so we got to see it early. I promise, no spoilers, just quick notes.

-Christian Bale deserves a best actor nomination for his role. His Bruce Wayne has always been brilliant, but his Batman wasn't up to the same standard. However he finally honed in on both, and most of all fixed the bat-voice

-I've never much respected Hathaway as an actress before this film. I was wrong. If Nolan can do nothing else, he can cast a movie. Remember everyone was confused when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker. This is a similar pleasant surprise.

-Speaking of the Joker, no mention of him in the film, and probably for the best. Tom Hardy did an admirable job of acting as a character where you are unable to make facial expressions, however the cloud of not being the joker hung over him heavily. The writers tried to over compensate and make bane terrifying, but it felt empty. This is my main criticism.

-Other slight criticism, not sure how I feel about the bat-plane. Seemed sort of silly.

-Nuclear bomb plot :crazy: they made it work, but was surprised that was the best they could pull. However the climax and denouement were breath taking

-Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the real deal. Awesome surprise with him at the end

-As far as tone, it more resembles Batman Begins (Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson both reprise roles). The league of shadows returns as an important force.

Overall, it was a great film that somehow managed to meet expectations. However Heath Ledger and what could have been of the trilogy had he been alive for it will always hang over this final film. But it more than holds it's own.