Hamilton, ON November 28th 2011 @ copps Coliseum

fallingred85

This is about all you're gonna get out of me right now...I've been up for 24 hours straight:

GREAT show...definitely the best I've seen yet! Good setlist, nice to hear Shackler's...speaking of setlists, I got a security copy of this year's setlist! :D Met lots of forum members, all of whom were great guys. Can't think of anything else right now.

I'll post a more detailed review, but not before Wednesday. I've got an Alice Cooper show tonight, and I'm gonna be going on 2 hours sleep and a full day of classes :lol:

Edited by Powerage5

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is about all you're gonna get out of me right now...I've been up for 24 hours straight:

GREAT show...definitely the best I've seen yet! Good setlist, nice to hear Shackler's...speaking of setlists, I got a security copy of this year's setlist! :D Met lots of forum members, all of whom were great guys. Can't think of anything else right now.

I'll post a more detailed review, but not before Wednesday. I've got an Alice Cooper show tonight, and I'm gonna be going on 2 hours sleep and a full day of classes :lol:

Glad you had a fkn blast Powerage5. :)

The only people ive seen complaining are those that dont or havent attended a Show.

Axlsalinger: thanks for the review....sounds like it was a great time.

I get the sense that it was an exhausting evening...probably because alot of people that went probably worked all day Monday and then had to work Tuesday. That is why I didn't go to this one (plus the three hours of driving). At least I know about the 11pm starts (which isn't horrible)(it's the 2am end time and then the drive home). I must be getting old....10 years ago I would not have thought anything of it...but I guess with age comes responsibilities.

Anyway....I'm off on Friday, so Thursday is going to rock! The band ought to be well rested.

Wonder where they hang out for three days while they are off (since it is only about a four hour drive b/w venues), could easily fly home and check on the cat! LOL.

Went to the show last night (9th gnr concert) and I have to say...this was one of the best Axl has sounded in a while. I loved that they played 3hrs and didn't care if some of the poser gn'r fans thought it was late and wanted to go home. They did the show they wanted. rock on, loved every minute of it!

As for Axl, didn't say a whole lot, sang great all night long. Smiled a lot, seems to be in a very good place these days. Think I understand why he wanted to add Riff Raff to the set on this tour, as he just seemed really into this song and sang the hell out of it. But he was on top of his game all night long.

This might be heretical (and I am aware of the talk from the UYI era), but I do believe that the spirit of Bon Scott really does invades Axl's body and takes a hold of him whenever he covers Acca Dacca.

Shazbot nanu nanu :krider:

Any video from the show yet?

If 4 mods went to the show and none of them got any video, I'm firing them all. And no, I do not give a shit that I don't have the authority to do that.

Will you accept some great pictures as an alternative? :lol: Security up front was really relaxed with people taking pictures this year, but pounced on anyone doing video...

Thoughts on the show:

The Pretty Reckless is the best opener I've personally seen with GNR, but I also loved the suicide girls and I'm not a Baz fan. I'm also a redblooded male and Taylor is smoking. Took my significant other and she's bi and enjoyed Taylor as well but that said - the girl can fucking sing. I actually already knew Make Me Wanna Die, liked Zombie and their Audioslave and White Stripes covers.

Guns fucking surprised me by being early, we were in line for the bathroom when the lights went out and got on the floor just in time.

This is the seventh time I've seen Guns and the tightest I've seen them, the chemistry is really there now; they need to write, need to record, and tour the fuck out of some new stuff after this.

Highlights for me: Estranged, You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, This I Love. Street of Dreams, which oddly I was never a big fan of, stood out for me last night and the crowd probably new it best of the new songs as it used to get decent airplay on Y108.

Axl didn't talk too much just did his thing and his voice was on the whole night. Pretty much everyone stayed right through to PC. Encore had Madagascar, Better, Patience, and Paradise City.

The other standout was DJ's solo, fucking hell record that!

Like 2010 they tarped off the upper level, lower and floor were pretty packed.

If 4 mods went to the show and none of them got any video, I'm firing them all. And no, I do not give a shit that I don't have the authority to do that.

Will you accept some great pictures as an alternative? :lol: Security up front was really relaxed with people taking pictures this year, but pounced on anyone doing video...

I was surprised how lenient they were with cameras considering what happened last year.

Security before the show was useless though. When they shoved everyone downstairs before letting everyone go up to their seats, me and my buddy asked a security guy what time they'd let us back up to get to our seats and he replied "Only people with a green wristband get in this way." Thanks for the help, right?

We asked another girl. "I just know you need a green wrist band to go in this way."

"We. Aren't. Floor. We were shoved down her with everyone else."

"Oh, that's because they aren't letting people up until 8:00."

"THANK YOU."

Amazing how difficult it was for two people to answer such a simple question. Little stories like this made my night. :lol:

so i read this review on the show but it seems to have turned into a referendum on Axl:

By Jon Dekel

In rock, few things are as certain as the uncertainty of Guns N’ Roses. However, as lead singer and only remaining original member Axl Rose ventures further and further away from the comfort zone of his own cranium (a magical place where spending 15 years and more than $10-million on an album is an acceptable form of commercial artistic expression), certain realizations and patterns come to light which may have the rock’s most fickle front man questioning his role in modern rock.

Now in ostensibly the tenth year of touring behind his band’s sixth studio album, Chinese Democracy, Rose is pushing 50. And, though his voice is still impressive as ever and he can still bust a swagger every once in a while, it’s hard to take the man seriously. Not that it’s ever been easy to take him seriously, but, until now, the man who named himself after an anagram for oral sex didn’t seem to give a crap what you thought because his legion of fans and millions-upon-millions in sales made him critically and artistically unassailable.

But, as Monday night’s nearly half empty show at Hamilton’s Copps Coliseum attested, Rose’s days of getting away with thinly-veiled racist remarks, chauvinistic actions and dolphin-themed videos are far behind him.

Never mind that he’s taken his obsession with the month of November to its logical, endless-Movember conclusion, if Guns had bailed on their show there would hardly have a furrowed brow, never mind a full blown riot (as happened in Vancouver at the start of the tour in 2002).

Could it be that, after ten years and virtually no original output (Chinese Democracy being more-or-less widely available online by the early part of last decade), the public at large is simply fed up with Axl? Is it time for the man that once incited so much curiosity that Spin magazine devoted a whole cover story to an oral history of what the hell he’d been upto, to finally hang up his gloves or resign himself to the Mötley Crüe-esque dredges of endless touring while being more-or-less artistically impotent?

Perhaps I’m being overly harsh, because Axl still shows potential. He can hit the highs of Welcome To The Jungle’s declarative breakdown; he can shatter eardrums with the thunder of set closer Night Train and he can still captivate and exhilarate like the best Michael Bay explosion-fest. But backed by a slew of capable yet ultimately unimaginative Slash fill-ins (seriously, three dudes to rock the epic November Rain solo?) and a video show that was equal parts creepy (models posing during Rocket Queen), cheesy (Winamp visualizations) and just plain sad (the vignettes of depressed women that accompanied several of the Chinese Democracy cuts), the three-hour long greatest hits/covers set felt, at times, more like a Guns-themed Rock of Ages than the most dangerous band in rock ‘n’ roll.

The saddest part of all is that the answer is so plain to see. Between rehab, journalism and, er, playing with Fergie, it’s not like the other members of golden era Guns N’ Roses are too busy or too rich to reunite — It’s simply Axl being Axl that’s holding this back.

So here’s hoping that, with half-empty stadiums and slower returns , Rose realizes what we all knew all along: Guns N’ Roses is not Guns N’ Roses unless the men who recorded Appetite for Destruction are standing onstage together. Now more than ever, with the weight of his own impending irrelevance nipping at Rose’s half-century old feet, this can happen. Maybe he just needs a little push:

Make no mistake, the next sentence is meant to antagonize you, Mr. Rose:

It’s time to stop playing dress up, rebuild your integrity, regain your bloody anarchy and get in the ring! For your sake as much as ours.

I was surprised how lenient they were with cameras considering what happened last year.

Security before the show was useless though. When they shoved everyone downstairs before letting everyone go up to their seats, me and my buddy asked a security guy what time they'd let us back up to get to our seats and he replied "Only people with a green wristband get in this way." Thanks for the help, right?

We asked another girl. "I just know you need a green wrist band to go in this way."

"We. Aren't. Floor. We were shoved down her with everyone else."

"Oh, that's because they aren't letting people up until 8:00."

"THANK YOU."

Amazing how difficult it was for two people to answer such a simple question. Little stories like this made my night. :lol:

The whole 8:00 thing was crazy, it created a lot of problems for people going onto the floor. There was NO line, everyone just herded towards the gate when they finally opened the floor. Luckily, everything still worked out fine for us :)

If anyone is interested, here's a picture of the GN'R setlist I managed to get from a security guard. It's pretty similar to the Rio setlist, it's just been re-formatted a bit:

gnr.jpg

Anyone else agree that the way they kick into the second part of each verse in You Could Be Mine is friggin' sweeeeet! Sounds angry and full of energy, love it!

Yeah Frank opens the high-hat. I'm tellin' ya, this guy is really fuckin' underrated. He adds so much to all the songs.

ya ya, that's it, wasn't sure what they were doing different, but it's kick ass. I think I noticed the same thing or something similar the last time I heard Scraped live too.

^ awesome man! Yeah I definitely felt bad for those who had waited in line to go to the floors and then everyone is rushed down there and out of order. Glad it worked out for you!

That review posted a couple posts above is ridiculous. Here we go again with the "It took three dudes to play the November Rain solo" - no, it didn't actually. November Rain has three solos and each member played one to perfection. Poor guy, he seems to have missed what an amazing show it was. I say that because it really was. This band is something else live.

Show was amazing, but I still think Toronto 2010 is my fav - possibly because it much more anticipation and surprises.

I'm not going to go over each and every point but here are a few things about the show:

-Met up and went to the venue with uzeurilluzion. Took us less than an hour to get there from Toronto. -Started off at Honest Lawyer, where we met Eric, GunsGuy and Montrealer (and met Powerage after the show). All great guys and had a blast partying with you all! Thanks again!

-Chinese Worker shirt was sold out at 2 merch spots but more came so I grabbed myself one! Best shirt since the green apple one

-Houselights went off about 30 minutes earlier than expected (bonus)

-SR was awesome. Was able to record the entire song but it sounds like shit... What gives? Did I need to put tape over the mic? Same goes for Don't Cry

-Seeing Estranged live was worth the ticket price alone

-Sonic was hype

-Mi Amor could be used in a Quentin Tarantino flick. Hope there is a studio version of it soon. I enjoyed it more that Ballad of Death

-Axl was on fire and happy all night, quiet though

-My knee felt like it was going to explode by the end of the show. Getting old...

-Was able to meet BBF and Beta backstage. Bumble is extremely humble and amazing to his fans. Beta is a great storyteller too.

Can't wait till next time...

Sounds like everyone feels the same way about the show. Nice to see! It really was something else.

Guns N' Roses have posted about it on Facebook now. Copps even thanked them for a punctual performance. :thumbsup:

For the shirts, I found I didn't quite like the Chinese worker shirt as much in person as I did on the Internet for whatever reason. So, I was a nerd and went for the cliché girl riding the pistol. It's a funny shirt, so why not.

Edit: ^ and yes! Funny stuff. I have to admit though, the cover of Seven Nation Army was great.

Edited by Paul Stanley