CivilWar07

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad set list.

But I would drop all the solos.

And Live and Let Die.

And only one new song? Back when GnR started touring again, we got four new songs - Rhiad, The Blues, CD and madagascar.

And Jungle gets the crowd more fired up to start a show than Chinese does.

He's being reasonable. We all know they ain't dropping the solos. And I respectfully disagree about the opener. CD's a hell of an opening.

I concur. Chinese into Jungle is a hell of a one-two punch. I know a lot of people complain about the Jungle-Easy-Brownstone since 2001, but when you're there, it certainly gets the crowd and energy going. Keep it I say.

Quality set list by the way, I think that'd be reasonable and ideal.

Not a bad set list.

And Live and Let Die.

And only one new song? Back when GnR started touring again, we got four new songs - Rhiad, The Blues, CD and madagascar.

He's being reasonable. We all know they ain't dropping the solos. And I respectfully disagree about the opener. CD's a hell of an opening.

Completely agree. And really with the mic issues that always come up it's better that they are ironed out at the start of CD.

Not a bad set list.

And Live and Let Die.

I was on the fence about including Live And Let Die in my list. The reason I opted to keep it is because there will be solos, there's no doubt about that in my mind. I really like how they do 007/LALD back to back, and unless Fortus has a new solo, I'd like to see them continue doing LALD.

As for only including one new song, times have changed. In '01 there was no YouTube, Facebook, etc. If they debuted 4 or 5 new songs, they'd be all over the internet in hours, and there'd be the same situation as CD where most of the album felt old by the time it comes out (Hopefully with much less of a wait). I think one song would be enough to whet people's appetites, and then you've still got an almost full album of new material when that drops.

While I agree with the general consensus about cutting down on the covers, I still enjoying seeing a band cover a couple of tunes live. Would be great to see GNR mix it up a little bit (bring back Sailing, do a Zep song, etc.) And I wouldn't remove KOHD from the set, it always goes over really well live, and is a perfect spot for some crowd interaction. It's sort of a rock and roll cliche, getting the crowd to sing along, but it works perfectly for GNR with Knockin'.

Live and Let Die is all about the pyro, so I would not be surprised to see it removed from these theater shows.

My biggest issue with KOHD is the length; it's over 10 minutes long. That, and frankly it's gotten stale lately. Maybe if they do a new arrangement again, like they did in '01 and '09 to an extent, I'd be more open to it staying in the set.

Heres what I would do / love to see:

Open with This I Love / Coma / Welcome To The Jungle (in this order).

Estranged not so early in the set

Civil War the first encore.

Drop IRS, Chinese, Easy, Street Of Dreams, Brownstone for Breakdown, Locomotive, Catcher or Prostitute.

Drop the solos and covers for a little acoustic set in the middle of the show. Bring guests for that and that only.

End with just one new unheard song right before Paradise City.

Yeah, I know. But one can dream, right?

I'd like to see something like this for the theater gigs, keeping it semi-realistic:

0. Dexter Intro

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Welcome To The Jungle

3. It's So Easy

4. Mr. Brownstone

5. Sorry

6. If The World

7. Richard Fortus Solo

8. Live And Let Die

9. Shackler's Revenge

10. Oh My God

11. You're Crazy (Acoustic)

12. Catcher In The Rye (Acoustic)

13. Patience

14. Used To Love Her (Acoustic)

15. Think About You

16. Dizzy Reed Solo

17. Street Of Dreams

18. New Song

19. Scraped

20. DJ Ashba Solo

21. Sweet Child O' Mine

22. Axl Rose Solo (I'd love to hear all of Gran Torino)

23. November Rain

24. Bumblefoot Solo

25. Don't Cry

26. Whole Lotta Rosie/Riff Raff (Rotate)

27. Nightrain

---encore---

28. Estranged

29. Civil War

30. Rocket Queen

31. Nice Boys/Move To The City/Mama Kin (Rotate)

32. Better

33. Paradise City

I think it'd be cool to throw in some old stuff for the theater gigs, to give it a bit of that nostalgia of seeing Guns in such an intimate venue. These shows would be a perfect reason to break out Think About You, You're Crazy, and some of the Live Like A Suicide tracks again.

You had me at New Song.

I would love to hear them cover a song by a new band, like Cage the Elephant or Radiohead, and then cover a classic like Mott the Hoople "All the Young Dudes" (a song I always thought this band would do a great job pulling off).

I also like the idea of an acoustic set/section after Rocket Queen or YCBM with "You Ain't the First", You're Crazy, CITR, and maybe a few Stones covers like Honky Tonk Women, or Loving Cup. Another one I would love to hear the new band re-work is "Bring it Back Home", with a Keith Richards/sleazy rock feel!

Edited by GNFR2003

My biggest issue with KOHD is the length; it's over 10 minutes long. That, and frankly it's gotten stale lately. Maybe if they do a new arrangement again, like they did in '01 and '09 to an extent, I'd be more open to it staying in the set.

Fair enough, but certainly on this last tour it gave Fortus the opportunity to shine, plus I do really like the song itself. On the subject of the AC/DC covers, Axl seemed to be really into 'em, especially 'Riff Raff,' when I saw GNR live, so if it's fun for him it's fine by me.

Would just be so great if they decide to throw at least one new song in there.

Heres what I would do / love to see:

Open with This I Love / Coma / Welcome To The Jungle (in this order).

They should open with a ten minute medley of those three

Welcome to The Coma, I Love This Jungle

This Jungle, I Welcome To The Coma Love

:rofl-lol:

EDIT: ontopic, maybe they learned to not "talk/leak/promess" new songs/album and we may get lucky and get one of those by surprise...

Edited by AGS

Maybe not realistic, but it would be damn cool imo!

01. Perfect Crime

02. Out Ta Get Me

03. I.R.S.

04. Welcome To The Jungle

05. My Michelle

06. Shackler's Revenge

07. There Was A Time

08. 14 Years

09. Used To Love Her (Acoustic)

10. You're Crazy (Acoustic)

11. Catcher In The Rye (Acoustic)

12. Hair Of The Dog

13. It's So Easy

14. Move To The City

15. Dead Horse

16. Estranged

17. Better

18. Don't Cry

19. Nightrain

20. Civil War

21. Prostitute

22. Sweet Child O' Mine

23. Coma

24. Paradise City

01. Perfect Crime

02. Out Ta Get Me

03. I.R.S.

04. Welcome To The Jungle

05. My Michelle

06. Shackler's Revenge

07. There Was A Time

He'd blow his voice for good if he sing all those songs in a row. The last TWAT scream would be his last scream...

Haha, yeah maybe.

Throw in a Richard solo and Tommy doing a Ramones song.

They should definetly play new songs. If not then at least add new old songs (yesterdays? locomotive?) to the set and play more CD stuff(TWAT,Catcher, Rhiad..). AC/DC covers should go IMO. Stage is pretty damn cool already no need to change that if they don't debut new material..

I cannot understand this fascination with people wanting this band to play more and more older material (unreleased AFD-era stuff? give me a break). Move on to more current (and future) things. A club/theater full of hardcore fans is gonna be the best place in the world to try out new material. Or at least a much CD-heavier set...

Don't know if this has been up before but this seems to be the guys website who designs the GNR set. Some cool videos and photos. Enjoy

http://www.gregshipleydesigns.com/bio.html

Hey, why is there two drums on stage? Anyone remembers brain suggesting he could come back?

Don't know, but that's the 2010 stage set.

More than anything, I'd ask for Axl's 2010 voice back. If he can get it back into the shape it was for 2010, it's going to be a great show regardless of the setlist. Not that 2011 was a bad year, I enjoyed the Hamilton show immensely. It's just Axl's voice in 2010 was that much better.

As for songs, it would be great if the Illusions material was given some more love. It would be great if songs like Yesterdays, Perfect Crime, The Garden, Dead Horse, Don't Damn Me, along with Civil War and Estranged were rotated into the set now and again.

But you can't please everyone.

The setlist they've been using for the past ten years is probably the best bet at making most people happy.

Remember, us fan forum members are only a small percentage of the ticket purchasing population. Playing obscure Chinese Democracy or Illusion albums isn't going to make most concert-goers happy. Would be great though if they treat some if not all of the club shows as an homage to the hardcore faithful and played songs that may reside outside of the well-known GNR canon.

Cheers,

Andrew