The POSSIBLE reason why Axl hasnt released any new music since 2008.

timaus101

Now this is just my opinion after reading different things over the years regarding the unreleased CD era tunes. Please dont flame lol

Firstly Guns N' Roses is my religion. Not just my favourite band. I still cannot believe that Chinese Democracy was finally released in 2008 ( still doesnt seem THAT long ago lol).

Anyways i have been thinking of posting this for a while so here it goes...

Chinese Democracy, and all the unreleased material, was mostly created during the time when ex members such as Finck, Buckethead, Brian etc etc was still in the band. Since then almost EVERYONE who was involved in the actual writing and creation of those songs has since departed.

I have come to my own conclusion that the reason we may never hear any of those leftover songs is simply because those members are no longer in Guns N Roses, and perhaps Axl doesnt want to release those songs because of the involvement of those ex members, and perhaps Axl even feels betrayed by those who have left.

Plus if they were released those ex members would have to be paid royalties, something Axl might not want to do again.

I know in my personal life i have been betrayed by many people and i have basically erased anything to do with those people out of my own life, maybe Axl has done the same kind of thing with all those left over songs because they were co-created by people who abandoned Axl's Chinese Democracy project.

Im almost certain i read way back in 2007 that there were almost 30 COMPLETELY FINISHED AND MASTERED songs. NOT random song bits.

And perhaps this is also why the band has not performed anything NEW...because Axl just doesnt want to. Appetite, UYI and CD are such masterpieces maybe he just cant be bothered to do anything new after the disasterous years creating CD.

Sure he and DJ have been writing, supposedly, but will we ever hear those unreleased CD songs, sadly i dont think we will...but hey in a few days after the intimate gigs i could be wrong lol

Just food for thought. GNR Always.

Tim

EDIT: Oh and the whole record label preventing Axl from releasing new music LOL The only person to blame is Axl himself.

Every other band on the planet EASILY releases new music via itunes or in the physical format. Its not that hard at all.

Its simply because Axl doesnt want to.

Edited by timaus101

Now this is just my opinion after reading different things over the years regarding the unreleased CD era tunes. Please dont flame lol

Firstly Guns N' Roses is my religion. Not just my favourite band. I still cannot believe that Chinese Democracy was finally released in 2008 ( still doesnt seem THAT long ago lol).

Chinese Democracy, and all the unreleased material, was mostly created during the time when ex members such as Finck, Buckethead, Brian etc etc was still in the band. Since then almost EVERYONE who was involved in the actual writing and creation of those songs has since departed.

I have come to my own conclusion that the reason we may never hear any of those leftover songs is simply because those members are no longer in Guns N Roses, and perhaps Axl doesnt want to release those songs because of the involvement of those ex members, and perhaps Axl even feels betrayed by those who have left.

Plus if they were released those ex members would have to be paid royalties, something Axl might not want to do again.

I know in my personal life i have been betrayed by many people and i have basically erased anything to do with those people out of my own life, maybe Axl has done the same kind of thing with all those left over songs because they were co-created by people who abandoned Axl's Chinese Democracy project.

Im almost certain i read way back in 2007 that there were almost 30 COMPLETELY FINISHED AND MASTERED songs. NOT random song bits.

And perhaps this is also why the band has not performed anything NEW...because Axl just doesnt want to. Appetite, UYI and CD are such masterpieces maybe he just cant be bothered to do anything new after the disasterous years creating CD.

Sure he and DJ have been writing, supposedly, but will we ever hear those unreleased CD songs, sadly i dont think we will...but hey in a few days after the intimate gigs i could be wrong lol

Tim

EDIT: Oh and the whole record label preventing Axl from releasing new music LOL The only person to blame is Axl himself.

Every other band on the planet EASILY releases new music via itunes or in the physical format. Its not that hard at all.

I didn't bother reading most of that but I do want to take your "enter" key down a dark alley and beat it to death with a lump of lead piping!

When you have deal with record label you just can't release songs as you want. Maybe you've right but on the ChD there bunch of songs with former members (Freese, Buckethead and in some way Brain), so I don't think it's the reason.

When you have deal with record label you just can't release songs as you want. Maybe you've right but on the ChD there bunch of songs with former members (Freese, Buckethead and in some way Brain), so I don't think it's the reason.

For sure. Bucket had many writing credits there even though he was gone for more than 4 years by that time. That only blow this theory out of water.

Also, I believe there is some other reasons, but there's no deny that the record company isnt really making things easy to Axl. If anything, I doubt they want to invest more money on the new band after the Chinese Democracy saga - and dont even start with this "oh, just release it on iTunes, this isnt that hard" because its obviously not true.

sure we got CD that does feature ex members but that was all there was to release, there wasnt time to re record everything (tho on a few songs they kinda started to).

But as for the leftover songs i dont think we will hear them at all. really hope im wrong tho. when CD was released it did seem like that the record was forced outta Axl

EDIT: plus thats probably the reason we never get any live DVDs, cuz the royalties would be given out to all th ex members, Slash, Duff etc.

Edited by timaus101

sure we got CD that does feature ex members but that was all there was to release, there wasnt time to re record everything (tho on a few songs they kinda started to).

But as for the leftover songs i dont think we will hear them at all. really hope im wrong tho. when CD was released it did seem like that the record was forced outta Axl

EDIT: plus thats probably the reason we never get any live DVDs, cuz the royalties would be given out to all th ex members, Slash, Duff etc.

and what is the problem of payments going to the authors? this happens currently with the

the band's back catalog. does not justify the non-release of live CDs or DVDs.

There wasnt time? How about 4 years plus the 2-3 years they had before Bucket even joined? I'm sure there would be plenty of material that Bucket didn't write and could be mixed without him.

Let's count with Paul Tobias. He left in 2002, six years before Chinese got released. Or maybe Josh Freese, who left 9 years before and still got credited on Chinese Democracy (the song).

Tim

He fulfilled the contract GNR had with Geffen. 6 albums - AFD, Lies, UYI 1, UYI 2, TSI?, and ChiDem . The hits and live 86-93 were also part of the deal.

I think Axl left to his own devices was what delayed ChiDem most of all. He wanted to keep tinkering with it, and he was mostly done with the songs 10 years ago. The question is whether or not the time spent from 02 to 08 was worth it, or was it releasable?

We don't know if the songs are truly finished. Axl might feel they're not worthy of release. Hopefully DJ on board is going to keep him from tinkering with the songs so they can move on to put more music out, both from the vault, and new songs they're going to be bringing in for the next year.

I'm sure record companies would be happy to have them, but it's all going to depend on what he wants. He might re-sign with Geffen because they own AFD, which can be used like a bank loan... but I think that's pointless when you can just license what you have and tour to get the money. He can record in his house, most of the band can record from home and just send the files back and forth without having to rent a studio.

I do think the pressure's off to follow up ChiDem and trying to outdo it.

You're prob. right - Axl doesn't want to do new songs, and riding on the back catalog for now. A lot of people still haven't seen them live, and I just think this upcoming tour is keeping the money coming in, keeping busy, and prob. will result in some new songs. But to me, we're in an era where you're better off putting a finished song out than you are putting a whole album out. He'd be better off rolling out 30 songs over time, than having people wait for the whole thing. It would make more money doing that and licensing the new songs to TV shows and movies. I think Lady Gaga had 4 songs out for download before the CD came out. 1 was a single with video, 3 weren't.

GNR should just do a residency during Fashion Week and rent a place out. It's pretty cool that they're hitting up the different venues in NYC but just setting up in one place and doing a 1 week run would've been cool, esp. if it was on Broadway.

It's like unintentional semi-retirement. He may not realize that's what he's doing, but a little few tours and one album in over a decade and a half is not really a full-on carreer anymore, is it?

Exactly...he still has the ability to ride his own coat tails from stuff he did over 20 years ago. His money keeps him afloat and allows him to do whatever he wants. Take that away and it might be a different story.

I think Axl gets active in the studio when things are really bad in his life. When things are falling apart in his life he shows his A-game. Atm he seems too content/comfortable with life and nothing seems to be pissing him off. In my eyes that indicates to little activity in the future.

But who knows, maybe he'll surprise us? I mean they are more active now then they have ever been before so if he has ZERO plans for the future then whats the point of all this touring?

Idk, I have mixed feelings atm. Part of me who adores Axl is happy that he seems to be happy but another part of me wants him to get on with it! He has so much talent and potential still and to me it feels he's just coasting...

I sincerely hope he has more music to give.

I think Axl gets active in the studio when things are really bad in his life. When things are falling apart in his life he shows his A-game.

See the Dublin show for example after the crowd were baying for his blood he sings his ass off, granted he isn't running around as he's in a mood but not many people can sing to a angry crowd at their own show like that.

Whenever I hear about a new album it is usually about writing new songs. I think they are trying to get Axl to focus on new material

As for the post who says the songs probably suck, we've heard from other people that they were awesome.

Edited by BirdCatcher

He's a conundrum, I still believe in the trilogy but he's like evolving it as it comes along at a snail pace, he has to keep putting in everyone new, but this line up's been stable for a while so there's not really any excuse not to release something very soon, it'd be nice to have a sentence or two as to what the hold up is since we roughly know the Chinese story.

One thing this theory ignores is why all those other guys left in the first place. I mean, take a look at poor ol' Robin Finck. Guy is in the band from 1997 to 1999 on a two-year contract, lots and lots and lots of recording. After the contract ends, he leaves. He returns sometime in 2000, and from then all the way to 2006 he plays a scattered number of live gigs, along with lots and lots and lots of recording. The end result? Nothing. No album, no new songs, other than when 'Oh My God' is released, but Finck was barely involved with the song.

We can be pretty certain the constant inactivity is why Bucket left as well. A guy who has released over 35 albums, lol. In GNR from 2000 to 2004 - lots and lots and lots of recording, one short tour that started and ended in a riot ... zero released songs.

We can talk about Axl's lost years of what should have been his prime, we don't want to be talking about all the great opportunities missed to make great guns records with these musicians that have been in the band too.

I think we'll get a combination of new and old on the next two and the trilogy will be complete.

Edited by RandallFlagg

There will be no new music in the next two or three years, IMO.

The way Axl talks, he feels Chinese just came out and would even consider releasing a video for songs of that record.

Also, the closer that this lineup gets, the more likely that the old material will never come out, because Axl may want to release an album strictly with current members.

I totally see where the OP is coming from and it could very well be the reason.

The problem is, the longer he waits, the more likely the current members are to leave due to lack of forward progression.