Guns N' Roses Sued For Copying Songs

Nosaj Thing

Two independent record labels sued U.S. rock band Guns N' Roses for $1 million, claiming the group used portions of two songs by a German musician on their last album "Chinese Democracy."

Guns N' Roses and Universal Music Group's Interscope-Geffen A&M label were sued by British label Independiente and the U.S. arm of Domino Recording Company, who own the licensing rights to songs by German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss.

Singer Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses band members and album producers copied portions of two of Schnauss' songs -- "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangely Isolated Place" -- for a song used on the band's last album called "Riad N' the Bedouins," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday but made available on Monday, seeks $1 million in damages. A spokesperson for Interscope-Geffen A&M, owned by Vivendi's Universal Music Group, was not available for comment.

"Chinese Democracy," the band's first new album in 17 years that was released last November, resulted in disappointing sales.

Besides Rose, the only original member in the band, the other current and former band members named in the suit include guitarist Brian Carroll, better known as "Buckethead," bassist Tommy Stinson, and Robin Finck, who currently plays lead guitar with rock act Nine Inch Nails.

(Reporting by Christine Kearney; Editing by Michelle Nichols and Philip Barbara)

__

Does anybody know what ended up happening with this?

Edited by pi2loc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old, quite old.

But we'll forgive you since the search button is still broken. ;)

Edit:

Saw this on the main page and clicked it, therefore I didn't see your subtitle. No idea whatever happened with this. Settled out of court maybe.

A lot of people speculate this is why it hasn't been played live but I don't buy it. The lawsuit was just for the intro sounds.

Edited by Paul Stanley

Maybe that's why they never played Riad again? not even in tokyo

Like I said above, the lawsuit was for the intro noises only. The ambience stuff that fades in. That wouldn't prevent the song from being played as they could just start from the echo guitar part.

Yeah, I don't buy this being the reason why they don't play it live. I mean, they could still use it in some 2009 ads from the Canadian tour, if I'm not mistaken, and the song is still available on iTunes and on the album with the very same intro.

I believe Axl just can't or doesn't want to sing it.

OT: Last I heard, and I think this might be correct, is that it was settled out of court.

Is there a source or just a rumor? Not that I don't believe you, it's just that I like the song and would like to know what really happened.

The reason they don't play it live is that, apart from some forum nerds, nobody is interested in hearing it.

In tokyo they played every single song from CD. Makes no sense to leave just one out. I'm sure people are more interested in hearing Riad than Rhine Stone Cowboy, dude.

Jarmo is going to see this and ask the mods to remove this thread.

It is stupid to sue for noise. Musicians have been ripping each other off ever since our primate ancestors developed rythmn.

/Jarmo lol. Very true on the rip off thing. Check out James Brown's tune I Need To Be Loved and tell me that is not a rip off. So what? They sampled some noise. Don't see why that dude had to make a big deal out of it.

Jarmo is going to see this and ask the mods to remove this thread.

It is stupid to sue for noise. Musicians have been ripping each other off ever since our primate ancestors developed rythmn.

Don't see why that dude had to make a big deal out of it.

To make money off course.

If it hasn't been settled it will be. The title of this thread is *really* misleading. They were sued over a clip of ambient noise. It's like copyrighting a few seconds of static recorded off a snowy TV and then suing anyone who uses it. Sure. It's yours. But don't make a big deal over it. In the end the guy will get a few bucks, but this was one of those things where someone likely didn't clear it (since the samples in Madagascar were obviously paid for).

If it hasn't been settled it will be. The title of this thread is *really* misleading. They were sued over a clip of ambient noise. It's like copyrighting a few seconds of static recorded off a snowy TV and then suing anyone who uses it. Sure. It's yours. But don't make a big deal over it. In the end the guy will get a few bucks, but this was one of those things where someone likely didn't clear it (since the samples in Madagascar were obviously paid for).

I totally get what you're saying, but there is also some keyboards/synths chords progression sampled when the "pulse" starts. Its nothing much and I guess they just thought it was some kind of stock "wierd noises", but nobody really checked.

What really pisses me off is that I really love the song and I was totally fine without this extended intro with noises. Well, guess its just my luck, because I don't think we'll ever hear they performing this song again. :(

I was actually gonna ask this question at some point, I dig the songs that the intro is from, clearly lifted from US's material but I never found what happened with the lawsuit, whoever got them for Axl was a bit retarded. Riad is a great crazy song, took me the longest to appreciate but the vocals are awesome. The story about Erin Everly's arms dealing bro is whack lol.

Oh well, who cares? Come As You Are is considered a copy, MetallicA has some songs that are considered copies, Green Day and Led too... even Ritchie Blackmore admitted that he copied Smoke On The Water from another song. That's pretty common and that's why this case will fall into oblivion.