Endless Touring

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

I personally feel that after this much time and as many shows as they played there should be more than a collection of 14 songs (with some of the vocal tracks as well as some instrument tracks dating back to 1999)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young Gun -

Nobody was forced to listen to leaks. The album has been out three years. It would seem based on Axl's public comments that at one point there were plans to put a second record out shortly after the first. Plans seem to have changed. By all accounts, it would seem the plan now is to finish the tour and then to finish up the next record.

If you're not interested in the upcoming tour unless it's going to have songs from the next album, that's fine. You're entitled to feel however you want and there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally don't find it unreasonable for a band of GNR's magnitude to tour the world for 2-3 years after releasing a new record. I've enjoyed the four shows I've attended since the release of the record and I'm ready for a new album.

But I don't think it's unreasonable for the band to tour this year before fnishing up the next record. If you think it is, sweet.

No one was forced, but come on. Which Guns fan wasn't going to check out the leaks? We were so starved of material that it was a no brainer. I'm only interested in the upcoming tour if they hit my town or play a new song somewhere live. And I'm only interested because it's the next best thing to an album we are likely to get.

Van Halen just put out their first album in 14 years. I highly doubt they will have a new album out within the next three years, and they are not a band that has the worldwide following of GNR that would require as much touring to cover all the territories they are popular in.

I just think many hardcore GNR fans (myself included) were driven insane by the wait for Chinese and now you have a fanbase that has trouble acting rationally about anything in terms of expectations.

Come on, it's been almost 4 full years since Chinese Democracy. And that is long in itself compared to some artists/bands these days...

Now put into consideration the wait since 1993 for that album, and then add on that we was aware of 75% of CD's tracklist for 5-10 years prior. I don't think it's being greedy of the fans to be curious to hear new material, and I don't think it should be labeled as so.

Van Halen just put out their first album in 14 years. I highly doubt they will have a new album out within the next three years, and they are not a band that has the worldwide following of GNR that would require as much touring to cover all the territories they are popular in.

I just think many hardcore GNR fans (myself included) were driven insane by the wait for Chinese and now you have a fanbase that has trouble acting rationally about anything in terms of expectations.

Van Halen did not promise or speak of a new album in that time and were not working on a new album under the Van Halen moniker. In fact they were disbanded. Big difference... Guns were recording for the better part of 10 years at least.

Edited by Young_Gun

A band of GN'R's magnitude? C'mon, I love the band, but they are not near as popular as they once were. You act like they have the same status as a band like U2 around the world (not that I'm a big U2 fan).

They don't move tickets like U2, but they always place higher than U2 on lists of the greatest rock bands, up there in the Top 10, on a similar tier to AC/DC or Aerosmith or Metallica.

Caught in a Coma -

Nobody is claiming they are as popular as they once were (or as popular as U2), but they are one of few bands that can attract large crowds in dozens of countries around the world.

They attract those crowds despite what has happened to the band. If it were still the original band they would be bigger than the rolling stones 100%.

Not blaming any member of the band for why that hasnt happened but they got there but couldnt keep it going. Really sad to think what music we missed out on.

Caught in a Coma -

Nobody is claiming they are as popular as they once were (or as popular as U2), but they are one of few bands that can attract large crowds in dozens of countries around the world.

They attract those crowds despite what has happened to the band. If it were still the original band they would be bigger than the rolling stones 100%.

No way of knowing that, and I don't think that's true. They'd fall behind in the 90s for a while for sure. And musically they might have stagnated if kept together. They'd be bigger in sales and attention now, sure. Not #1 band thoguh. Don't go building up a myth around what could have been.

Edited by Flayer

*The stadium lights, limousines and fancy broads ,always had a pie in the sky sense of improbability. And the few people who reach that level of success don't really have a music "career." Rather they might enjoy five years or so years of the limelight, and then end up selling real estate at age 45,if they survive in the shark-infested water.

*Surveying the Wreckage So, if one puts away their dreams of rock 'n roll stardom, what are the odds of making a living making music, particularly original music?Frankly, not good, and getting worse all the time. Consider the following...

*Ian Rogers, founder of music service website Topspin notes that "There are fewer than 50,000 artists whose main gig is their music."

*97.9% of CDs released in 2009 sold less than 5000 copies. If you do some quick general accounting here and presume that CDs are sold for 10 bucks, and cost around five to produce, you're looking at around a max of $25,000 to be split amongst four or five band members,You'd have to be releasing a lot of albums in a year to live off that.

*What about live music?I've heard through word of mouth commentary from touring acts that I know that many original rock bands --- no longer making money off their albums are touring more aggressively and frequently. The result being that the competition for audience members is getting more intense. Think about it from the audience's viewpoint: if there's only one show you really want to see a month, that's easy on the pocketbook. If six great acts appear in the space of 30 days, you have to start choosing.

*Some musicians talk about licensing their music to television, movies and Web video as an alternate source of revenue. But the ever-growing number of creative commons music databases , seems to be shrinking + implying that that may soon be a dead end as well.

My suspicion is that the rules of supply and demand are tilted heavily against musicians right now. A music career still has a lot of glamour associated with it, and thus there are plenty of musicians producing musical product. But less and less people are willing to pay for music, especially in this era of easy piracy, and a new generation being trained on the idea that recorded music should be free.

Damn those Freegies!

(*Compiled from my files)

Edited by sailaway

Caught in a Coma -

Thank you for your completely irrelevant comment.

ME: It takes a long time to tour the world properly because the band is popular in a lot of countries.

YOU: Oh yeah? Well they'd be even bigger with Slash!

ME: Um, ok, but how does that change the fact that it takes a long time to tour the world?

Your welcome.

I was making the point that the crowds they attract in them countries have been built from work that was done in the 80's and 90's. They are not popular in those countries because of CD so lets not kid ourselves.

Make some new music that can build its own legacy and become popular in all these far flung places on its own merit and stop pandering by playing appetite to people who are happy as long as its Axl singing.

I didnt mention slash or disrespect anyone you fucking clit.

I was making the point that the crowds they attract in them countries have been built from work that was done in the 80's and 90's. They are not popular in those countries because of CD so lets not kid ourselves.

Yes, but since the discussion was simply whether it's taking them too long to tour the world, your point had nothing to do with anything that was being discussed since NOBODY was discussing which lineup was responsible for the band being popular.

OK. Yes its taking them too long to tour the world because they should be busy writing music of their own that merits being able to play to places like chile, morocco or wherever. DJ ashba has no business playing to 80000 brazillians. When his names on a record that those Brazillians embrace then fair play.

Come on, it's been almost 4 full years since Chinese Democracy. And that is long in itself compared to some artists/bands these days...

Now put into consideration the wait since 1993 for that album, and then add on that we was aware of 75% of CD's tracklist for 5-10 years prior. I don't think it's being greedy of the fans to be curious to hear new material, and I don't think it should be labeled as so.

It's been much closer to three years than four years, which is why I say three years. You say "almost 4 full years" because you've allowed your emotion to influence your ability to analyze facts.

And while it may be a long time compared to SOME bands, it is *NOT* a long time compared to bands from the 80s with massive worldwide followings.

But Axl was working on more than just CD during that 14 year period, wasn't he? So the fact that it's going on four years with nothing, absolutely nothing, is a bit absurd, given that Axl's had more than enough time to get his shit together, and the initial intentions he's told us throughout the years. But that's just me I guess...

BS -

Why is it absurd to want to do a proper tour for one album before moving on to the next?

It's not absurd, but given the context that the Chinese Democracy tour has been active since 2001 seems a tad radical...

It's only human nature to want something new, and fans latch onto that especially with all of the false hope and broken promises we have got with this band. (Not saying those things could have been helped either)

One in a Million -

Since everyone is so obsessed with the names of the tours . . . if you go simply by the tour names, the Chinese Democracy tour ended a while ago.

I think the "up close and personal shows" are the start of GN'R changing direction, and think the upcoming tours will definitely reflect a "best of" GN'R feel to them. But I don't think you can deny that the touring GN'R did in 2009-2011 was not a "Chinese Democracy" tour, purely based on the fact that it wasn't said on the posters.

Of course all of the tours up until the "up close and personal shows" have been in aid of CD, and have been called Chinese Democracy, whether it was told to us publicly or not.

But I agree, that now is a very interesting time, as it appears we are leaving the Chinese Democracy ideoligy behind. And with the introduction of the new logo, I have to feel that GN'R are going back to classic rock, and may be playing a "best of" setlist rather than a heavily CD influenced setlist we saw in 2009-11.

Hahahahaha you can't have it both ways dude.

IMO the "North American 2011" tour was in support of Chinese even tho it wasn't called the Chidem tour, just as the 2006 "Chinese Democracy" tour was simply a comeback tour and not in support of Chinese.

But for those of you who insist on going by name alone, then the US tour wasn't in support of the album (even tho it clearly was).

But now you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. 2002 tour was in support of the album because of the name, but then 2011 was in support of the album too even without the name.

Which is it?

Well, I think we are all inteligent enough to make our assumptions based on the way the actually show is presented and what is played at a show, rather than going by the name alone. And before you get smart, I never made this thing an issue about the name of a tour alone, you did......I said the Chinese Democracy tour has been active since 2001, which in my view based on the setlists, media, interviews, press releases, news etc.......has been. Not simply because the tour is actually CALLED Chinese Democracy, is enough to warrant an argument in this regard. <_<

Edited by One.In.A.Million

Hahahahaha you can't have it both ways dude.

IMO the "North American 2011" tour was in support of Chinese even tho it wasn't called the Chidem tour, just as the 2006 "Chinese Democracy" tour was simply a comeback tour and not in support of Chinese.

But for those of you who insist on going by name alone, then the US tour wasn't in support of the album (even tho it clearly was).

But now you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. 2002 tour was in support of the album because of the name, but then 2011 was in support of the album too even without the name.

Which is it?

Well, I think we are all inteligent enough to make our assumptions based on the way the actually show is presented and what is played at a show, rather than going by the name alone. And before you get smart, I never made this thing an issue about the name of a tour alone, you did......I said the Chinese Democracy tour has been active since 2001, which in my view based on the setlists, media, interviews, press releases, news etc.......has been. Not simply because the tour is actually CALLED Chinese Democracy, is enough to warrant an argument in this regard. <_<

Eh. Pretty much. I love this band and all but without new music, they're running on fumes.

I believe Axl is the only person in the world with fans that need to defend him with the "He owes us nothing" crap. I know that, we all know that. But is that right? Is that ok to you? Well, I don't think it's right. I think he should be more friendly to his fans, and that's it. I don't want to chat with him, I don't want his autograph, I'm interested in his work and would love to hear more and more of his unreleased material because I know what he can do.

He should do it for his fans, for himself, for the members of the band who are all good musicians. And the fact that he doesn't release anything new and keeps on tour bothers me. It's not demanding. It's an opinion. Will it change anything? No. I just enjoy talking about it. Some people here take everything too serious.

Sort of like you "knowing" what an individual "should" do,without knowing the person or the circumstances entailed? :lol:

Seriously man, what's your problem? I don't know anything. Read again. I said its an OPINION

FOR GOD'S SAKE! I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. I'm just telling what I wish he would do.

You're another Axl ass-kisser who won't even stand having his decisions discussed. I'm just giving my opinion, buddy. I enjoy sharing my opinions with other fans. If you try, you might get that. Don't let your blindness ("Axl owes me nothing, in fact I owe my butt hole to him") affect you so much.

Edited by maynard

They are going to fuck what they did in 2010,and it was credibility because of the great shows.Now the shows are waaay worst

They till get mostly glowing reviews, so who cares what you think?

Yes,like RIR 2011 that was a completly success :fuckyou:

You do understand what "mostly" means? Just checking...