May 24th, 2013 - Pryor, OK: Rocklahoma

scans n' copies

Anyone spelling his name "Axel" cannot be trusted for any type of review. In all likelihood, they only vaguely remember 3 or 4 songs from GNR, and that alone should result in all their statements being ignored.

I disagree - I would say they are giving a completely objective view as to quality and not living in denial like most hardcore fans.

Shit singing sounds like shit singing. Fullstop.

Having said that, Axl has never been great on the first show of a tour leg. Hopefully he regroups and improves show-by-show like the last couple of runs.

Agreed that Axl has rarely been perfect on his first show of a tour, but I still think it is fair to say that anyone that spells his name as "Axel" after his 25+ years of "stardom" is either a) doing so on purpose to be a dick, or b) knows no more than 4 or 5 GNR songs and/or is probably just .... not very smart. Either way, my trust factor in their opinion disintegrates to zero almost immediately.

I wouldn't say 25+ years, more like 6/7 considering he hibernated for a good couple of decades.

What does spelling have to do with intelligence anyway? I bet there are words you wouldn't have a hope of spelling. Axl isn't exactly a conventional name. The press spell it many different ways.

Knowing how 4/5 songs are supposed to sound from an album or live show off tv give you more than enough background to know whether they sound good on a night.

And I don't see any of those same people complaining about any of the other mediocre acts - only GnR. If they have ears and half a brain they're probably qualified enough to know when something sounds terrible.

Spelling someone's name incorrectly is very indicative of intelligence or distaste, in my opinion (which is irrelevant to anyone or anything). I thought the video of Estranged was pretty good, and since that is the only one so far to surface, I have no other evidence to base my opinion (that another's opinion may possibly be biased). I'm no nutswinger either. All I know is that Axl (no "e") sang Estranged (my favorite song) pretty well, and that he was wearing a t-shirt with boobs on it (win) at a show I couldn't attend. So far, so good. I rate the show A+. And I probably won't watch any more videos from the show because they never really do a show justice anyway. But if you want to take the word of some random person that didn't like the show as proof that the show sucked, that's cool. Really, I'm cool with that, not that my opinion matters. My opinion is irrelevant to all.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haley Bell Have you ever wished you could unsee something...... Axl Rose you broke my heart tonight. I didn't expect you to be perfect, but I sure didn't expect you to sound like a bad karaoke version of yourself .What happened? How sad........I refuse to let this be how I remember you.

I went to this show. It was the worst run event I have been to in 24 years of show-going. We sat in traffic for about 2 hours outside the gate so I missed a couple bands I wanted to see (The SWORD dammit was one). They have had over 10 festivals at this site, country and rock, so I don't know why it was such a cluster f*ck today.

It was unfortunately a white trash haven; I live in OK but I was even shocked at how scummy it was. I can count on one hand the number of attractive females that I saw out of tens of thousands of people. As far as GNR went, I have not been on the boards lately so when they played Catcher and Estranged I really enjoyed it. New sights with the colorful backdrops and videos were new to me. Outdoors the sound will vary depending where you sit. Bush was good and their sound seemed to wave in and out, louder to softer; it was annoying. GNR's was better but not as good as it will be inside; it can't be especially in the wind. The band was tight and in time. Axl sounded better on the lower register songs which he nailed like ISE; higher ones not so well which is to be expected. Half the place was cleared out during their set; not because GNR was bad but because the crowd in this area is lame, period. I was actually surprised as many people knew the CD songs as they did, around me anyways. Rocklahoma sucks though, I will not go back.

Edited by JEEP11

Guest charlie555

Anyone spelling his name "Axel" cannot be trusted for any type of review. In all likelihood, they only vaguely remember 3 or 4 songs from GNR, and that alone should result in all their statements being ignored.

I disagree - I would say they are giving a completely objective view as to quality and not living in denial like most hardcore fans.

Shit singing sounds like shit singing. Fullstop.

Having said that, Axl has never been great on the first show of a tour leg. Hopefully he regroups and improves show-by-show like the last couple of runs.

Agreed that Axl has rarely been perfect on his first show of a tour, but I still think it is fair to say that anyone that spells his name as "Axel" after his 25+ years of "stardom" is either a) doing so on purpose to be a dick, or b) knows no more than 4 or 5 GNR songs and/or is probably just .... not very smart. Either way, my trust factor in their opinion disintegrates to zero almost immediately.
I wouldn't say 25+ years, more like 6/7 considering he hibernated for a good couple of decades.

What does spelling have to do with intelligence anyway? I bet there are words you wouldn't have a hope of spelling. Axl isn't exactly a conventional name. The press spell it many different ways.

Knowing how 4/5 songs are supposed to sound from an album or live show off tv give you more than enough background to know whether they sound good on a night.

And I don't see any of those same people complaining about any of the other mediocre acts - only GnR. If they have ears and half a brain they're probably qualified enough to know when something sounds terrible.

Spelling someone's name incorrectly is very indicative of intelligence or distaste, in my opinion (which is irrelevant to anyone or anything). I thought the video of Estranged was pretty good, and since that is the only one so far to surface, I have no other evidence to base my opinion (that another's opinion may possibly be biased). I'm no nutswinger either. All I know is that Axl (no "e") sang Estranged (my favorite song) pretty well, and that he was wearing a t-shirt with boobs on it (win) at a show I couldn't attend. So far, so good. I rate the show A+. And I probably won't watch any more videos from the show because they never really do a show justice anyway. But if you want to take the word of some random person that didn't like the show as proof that the show sucked, that's cool. Really, I'm cool with that, not that my opinion matters. My opinion is irrelevant to all.

Your opinion is not irrelevant at all - and my comments weren't a personal attack on you either fyi.

I've seen them live 5 times now since 2009 - the band and Axl sounded awesome every single time and he hit the notes perfectly. It's just such a shame that on the first shows (which always seem to draw 50k plus crowds) he sounds off-key. Doesn't help to promote the band to new fans :max:

Edited by charlie555

Someone paid $1000 for a festival ticket? #wack

Are you guys ignoring the positive reviews or are there not any to post?

From Facebook, any. I just saw some idiots defending Axl's band but I believe those are members of this forum. They're not from the US, really funny. :lol:

Axl or Axel......... no biggie. I don't trust the videos on Youtube at all. I've seen GNR enough times to know the show is good when you are there, almost 100% of the time. It is unfortunate that Axl may sound shitty to many of you on the videos, but c'est la vie. Truth is, when you are there, it typically is all good, as long as you are there as a fan and not there looking for fault. I can find fault in football games, baseball games, golf tournaments, nascar, F1, Food Network, or whatever... even GNR shows if I want... we all just want entertainment with this type of thing, and GNR brings it to the vast majority of people that attend. For those that don't appear to find entertainment, in all likelihood they were looking for something to bitch about and bring attention to themselves while at the same time unintentionally (or even intentionally) making themselves look like idiots for not even spelling the names of the stars correctly. And as you know, just bitching about something these days is considered entertainment. It is 50% of the internet. The bitchers got what they wanted. They too were entertained.

To a regular fan, I'm sure this was an excellent concert. As a fan who checks every setlist, this is a meh concert. That's my point.

Perhaps but they are playing the gig for the people AT the show yes? They have not seen this setlist yet.....

Same old excuses....

http://www.facebook.com/rocklahoma?fref=ts

Some comments on Axl's pic:

"They sounded horrible.....we left early"

" Huge fan but I left early too. He sounded horrible and played songs no one cares to hear... Late on top of it but to be expected.. Crowd started leaving after two of new songs played. He is axel"

Ok, this is pathetic from this people.

Now he's only playing three of those nu songs, instead of four like the last go around, and 5-7 before that.

Slowly, but surely, he's learning; :rofl-lol:

Seriously though, they should get rid of that horrid Bumblefoot cover, and just have Bumble play a solo while Axl takes his oxygen break or whatever. It just doesn't gel with what GNR fans wanna hear at all.

After two new songs were played?! Chinese has been played at every show for 12 years and non-hardcore fans think it's new! How fucking depressing.

And only 3 Chinese songs altogether. Fuck. The people defending this crap like evader need taking out the back behind the shed.

So anyone skeptical about the show based on Axl's recent history is trying to "tear down the show?"

OK.

I'll wait for good vids before saying he was great or awful or somewhere in between. Are we allowed to "tear it down" if we see that he sounds like shit? Or should we just blame youtube and be good worshipers?

I hope he sounded good. Unfortunately, I expect that he didn't.

Edited by magisme