Prostitute - this song is pure magic

ManetsBR

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of the four really good tunes on CD. The auto tune ruins it a bit for me and it's too much of a patchwork piece, but the lyrics are really good and the ending is just beautiful. It's a very depressing but also a very powerful tune, Axl was really up to something there. I couldn't listen to it all day but when it the right mood this is just really good music. I wish all of CD would have had that quality and depth.

I mean, the autotune keeps the vocals tuned. It's supposed to be a helpful tool when editing. The reason it's gotten such a bad reputation is because people like Lil Wayne, Kanye West, and T-Pain have overused it. They like the 'robotic' effect it gives when turned up to 100 percent. It's really not a bad tool, and makes recordings sound much better when used correctly. I have a feeling Prostitute wouldn't have sounded as good without it.

For me the auto tune was just pointless, Axl doesn't really need auto tune as a singer. He has his off nights and all yes, but I think it's safe to say he can nail his own material just fine on a good day. Given the time put into the making of the album and the depth of the subject matter and the lyrics, I think a more organic vocal would have made the song even more intense and more timeless. As it is, it will always be connected to that moment in time when auto tune was popular. That's where the production is too artificial for the beauty and intensity that song has to offer.

Auto-tune has been used for decades, it was only made 'popular' when it was overused. It was never intended to be something you could notice. Sure no one needs autotune, but there's nothing wrong with it. When used correctly, it only makes songs sounds better. Again, people only hate it because pop artists began to use it for the wrong reasons. Producers love to use pitch correction because it helps to perfect the recordings. Most use Melodyne, a more advanced version of autotune. Edited by GNRSkidRow1

Well, it is overproducede indeed, that's why I made the Clean version.

Unless you somehow made the vocals less shit it's not going to help.

As for the vocals, I feel that they fit the music and the song. The song wouldn't have been as effective with raspy vocals.

Lack of rasp isn't the problem, it's the fact that he sounds like a fuckin' robot on it.

I like the song, but not as much as other tunes in the album. I think the final version is way better than the Antiquiet demo, but it still lacks some balls. I guess you guys are right: Axl's voice should be stronger, at least in those fake chorus.

It's one of the four really good tunes on CD. The auto tune ruins it a bit for me and it's too much of a patchwork piece, but the lyrics are really good and the ending is just beautiful. It's a very depressing but also a very powerful tune, Axl was really up to something there. I couldn't listen to it all day but when it the right mood this is just really good music. I wish all of CD would have had that quality and depth.

I mean, the autotune keeps the vocals tuned. It's supposed to be a helpful tool when editing. The reason it's gotten such a bad reputation is because people like Lil Wayne, Kanye West, and T-Pain have overused it. They like the 'robotic' effect it gives when turned up to 100 percent. It's really not a bad tool, and makes recordings sound much better when used correctly. I have a feeling Prostitute wouldn't have sounded as good without it.

For me the auto tune was just pointless, Axl doesn't really need auto tune as a singer. He has his off nights and all yes, but I think it's safe to say he can nail his own material just fine on a good day. Given the time put into the making of the album and the depth of the subject matter and the lyrics, I think a more organic vocal would have made the song even more intense and more timeless. As it is, it will always be connected to that moment in time when auto tune was popular. That's where the production is too artificial for the beauty and intensity that song has to offer.
Auto-tune has been used for decades, it was only made 'popular' when it was overused. It was never intended to be something you could notice. Sure no one needs autotune, but there's nothing wrong with it. When used correctly, it only makes songs sounds better. Again, people only hate it because pop artists began to use it for the wrong reasons. Producers love to use pitch correction because it helps to perfect the recordings. Most use Melodyne, a more advanced version of autotune.

Agreed. You shouldn't even notice the effect because it only makes the voice sound digital when is really overused, often in purpose.

I believe 90% of the people here doesn't even know what autotune really is. Most of the time is mistaken by any modulation or even EQ / compression effect used.

Instrumentally it's one of the best songs Axl's done, and the lyrics are among my favorites. I like about 80% of the vocals, but there's points where it's like, ok, peel off about 10 layers there Axl :lol:

Pitman owns the fuck out of the chorus', too.

I fuckin' love this song. Absolute shame it wasn't performed in 2002.

Guest NGOG

I see Better as a continuation of the Illusions material with the added industrial elements Axl was talking about.

Can you name me a Use Your Illusion song which is similar in nature to Better?

I have to admit I'm really surprised so many people here like it. I think it absolutely sucks. It's one of my least favorite on CD and it pretty much epitomizes how "meh" the whole album is.

To each their own I guess? It's probably one of the best GNR tracks imo.

I have to admit I'm really surprised so many people here like it. I think it absolutely sucks. It's one of my least favorite on CD and it pretty much epitomizes how "meh" the whole album is.

This is exactly how I feel about Sorry and If the World. Oh well, differences make the world go around.

Prostitute is my second favorite song after Better on the CD. I wish the auto-tune was turned down a bit, but still love it.

I feel like the song is all style and no substance if that makes any sense. Too many effects and too much vocal tinkering. The line "streamlined I had to pull through" just drips overproduction. I dont think the solos fit with the song at all, just random noise. I like the outro though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFxIBezVwk

I was reading the 95 pages thread of when Prostitute leaked (http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/114535-song-2-of-the-mystery-leaks/).

Man, people were really excited about it back then. It's a really amazing song, in my opinion one of Axl's best work. Does anyone else still thinks the same?

nope, it's shit

Some parts were good ,when Axl "struggle" himself",but overall, this is a shitty song

The only magical about this song, is that CD is about to end.

Prostitute > every song from Slash's post guns career

not even trollin.

Yup, not trollin, you just have a very bad muscial taste, that's all Edited by Crash Diet