June 6th, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY: Brooklyn Bowl

2006: Guns plays Rosario Dawson's birthday party at a bar with a capacity under 200, nobody complains

2012: Guns plays some rich guy's wedding, people whine about it

2007: Guns plays private show for fashion designers, nobody complains

2010: Guns plays private show in Moscow, people whine about it

2010: Guns plays 150 person bar (Rose Bar) in NYC, nobody complains

2013: Guns plays 600 person bar (Brooklyn Bowl) in NYC, people whine about it

The simply conclusion that this is something they've done before multiple times, that people previously were cool with, but now since this forum is populated with people who simply live to bitch, we have multiple idiots talking about how it's a new low (despite the fact that they've done similar events at multiple locations within the past 6-7 years)

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006: Guns plays Rosario Dawson's birthday party at a bar with a capacity under 200, nobody complains

The simply conclusion that this is something they've done before multiple times, that people previously were cool with, but now since this forum is populated with people who simply live to bitch, we have multiple idiots talking about how it's a new low (despite the fact that they've done similar events at multiple locations within the past 6-7 years)

Excellent post.

Ali

I remember people bitched because guns would play private shows at small venues saying how dare they not give the hardcores the chance to get in.... Now that they put tickets on sale I thought people would be happy.

Me, I see no reason to see 'em until Axl's voice improves or they play some more rarities or new songs.

If my sclerosis doesn't fail me, people were bitching about Rose Bar Sessions too.

I remember people bitched because guns would play private shows at small venues saying how dare they not give the hardcores the chance to get in.... Now that they put tickets on sale I thought people would be happy.

Yeah, right.

Someone has to bootleg this. If they're going to do any new songs or rarely played songs it's going to be here. I just can't see the set list following exactly the same as the last few shows.

:rofl-lol:

I understand your optimistic, but don't get your hopes up.

You will be disappointed.

I didn't think Axl could bring out the fanboy in me again, but I decided to say fuck it. Got 2 tickets. One for me, one for my brother.

Axl better fucking bring it.

Good to know you're attending. You're one rational motherfucker unlike some Axl deluded pathetic psychotic fans. I'll be waiting for your review! :)

Where I'm from, a 'warm up show' is called a rehearsal. But I guess axl ain't gonna waste his time singing for free.

If axl meant this to be a gift to hard core fans, he'd have charged a normal price for tickets. The stones did a surprise show for their hardcores at a venue in my neighborhood. They charged twenty bucks a ticket.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

Excellent post.

Ali

Only Posers N' cupcakes, Friends

GNR In Your Ass

:takethat:

Actually, many people complained back in 2006, 2007, and 2010 but for different reasons. The argument back then was that the band was playing to elites, well connected hipsters, and celebrities leaving "real" fans out in the cold. I'm not sure if you were around in 2010 but the notion of GNR as a band for hire by fashion designers did not sit well.

Bottom line is that it's a great opportunity for those wishing to see the band in a small, unconventional venue. But if this show were truly "for the fans," tickets wouldn't cost $150. I have no doubt that GNR did not need to play this show. Moreover, I get why they would want to play a small venue before playing a massive festival. But the band doesn't need to generate $90k for a small event if it's really about the fans. I'll bet the venue itself gets next to nothing from ticket sales; they'll make their money off of alcohol sales. The costs of playing a small show like this are a small fraction of a large venue or festival, so again, I question the need to generate $90k in revenue if you're looking to throw the "fans" a bone. Unless of course each band member has a guaranteed minimum per performance and Axl isn't about to eat $80k just to put on a free show. That would be a bit more understandable, but you'd think the guys would bend a little bit on their performance fee for a show deemed as a gift for the fans.

As for the band "hitting a new low" by playing this small show, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Such an argument might have more merit if the band weren't performing before tens of thousands the following day (or is it later the weekend? Haven't been paying attention). While I do think some of the cache around a GNR show has subsided somewhat, this band could still easily sell 5-6k venues (and likely 20k venues in major markets). This show speaks more to the band's wants rather than its needs.

Someone mentioned the stones playing a similar sized gig recently for the fans. Yeah, tickets were $20. That is how you do a gig for the fans.

Has GN'R stated this is a gig for "the fans"? As in, a gig that the bread-and-butter fans of the band is supposed to enjoy? To me this is clearly a gig for the band, where they get to do something fun, earn some money, and interact with a different class of audience than the usual unwashed types that turn up on regular gigs.

Edited by SoulMonster

I do think the band like playing small shows, and i'm sure the members love to have the crowd enjoying it too. In that sense it's for the fans you could say, perhaps Axl would do it for free but that doesn't mean his crew would? Or drivers? Catering? Stage and light guys and the cost to rent the venue, band and venue security. So, costs need to be made some how. I'm sure they won't use there whole crew to set everything up and a lot of costs will be minimum compared to there arena shows, but they still have to pay people.

The stones might have done a show for $20 but it's was probably funded, or part of a contract from the touring promoter.

I've played the Brooklyn Ball myself five times will be there again in August It's a venue that caters to small bands and huge bands They came very close to having Green Day, and I've seen Paul Simon sitting with Aston Neville there! It is something special!

Damn auto correct on my iPhone, lol. Brooklyn Bowl, Aaron Neville!

It sounds like the type of show where you could elbow a celebrity or a hipster.

If Kanye's going, expect paparazzi, but I don't think he'll be bringing the missus.

Pitman's set after the show (not sure if they meant Pitman, Bumblefoot & Thunderchucker) also could mean Axl coming out to hang with the vampires that are going to close the place down. Get some shuteye before this show, just don't oversleep because this could be a late night, and not because Axl's coming on late.

Bring something to get signed.

Questlove is the unofficial house DJ there, so I wasn't surprised to see his name. He'll def. be Tweeting pics.

I also know a bunch of talk radio personalities are in town for a convention, so it'll be interesting to see the mix of people at the show. They're drinkers looking for shit to do.

As far as the Stones' club gigs, it's more about the publicity and half the people on line were on a VIP list. Damn near impossible to get tickets. GNR doing the club gigs is about extra revenue, they should've done this years ago, mixing up big shows with club shows.

It sounds like the type of show where you could elbow a celebrity or a hipster.

If Kanye's going, expect paparazzi, but I don't think he'll be bringing the missus.

Pitman's set after the show (not sure if they meant Pitman, Bumblefoot & Thunderchucker) also could mean Axl coming out to hang with the vampires that are going to close the place down. Get some shuteye before this show, just don't oversleep because this could be a late night, and not because Axl's coming on late.

Bring something to get signed.

Questlove is the unofficial house DJ there, so I wasn't surprised to see his name. He'll def. be Tweeting pics.

I also know a bunch of talk radio personalities are in town for a convention, so it'll be interesting to see the mix of people at the show. They're drinkers looking for shit to do.

As far as the Stones' club gigs, it's more about the publicity and half the people on line were on a VIP list. Damn near impossible to get tickets. GNR doing the club gigs is about extra revenue, they should've done this years ago, mixing up big shows with club shows.

Urgh. This show couldn't have been like 3 weeks ago right? No way I am taking the mic out of the case, but this is probably the best chance I will ever have to get Axl to sign it.

Maybe I'll meet someone that can take care of it for me later or something.

Guest NGOG

interact with a different class of audience than the usual unwashed types that turn up on regular gigs.

Are you serious? Axl himself was an unwashed hick from Indiana. As was Dj. Why are you trying to politicize the agenda of this performance? It's been scheduled in order to prepare the band for a high profile performance it has absolutely nothing to do with elevating GNR into being some upper class troupe which enjoys drinking fine wine amongst business men and critiquing Pink Floyd.

Edited by NGOG

interact with a different class of audience than the usual unwashed types that turn up on regular gigs.

Are you serious? Axl himself was an unwashed hick from Indiana. As was Dj. Why are you trying to politicize the agenda of this performance? It's been scheduled in order to prepare the band for a high profile performance it has absolutely nothing to do with elevating GNR into being some upper class troupe which enjoys drinking fine wine amongst business men and critiquing Pink Floyd.

Oh, I am sure the band enjoys playing for a more high-end audience once in a while. Everybody loves a little bit of glamour.

Guest NGOG

Oh, I am sure the band enjoys playing for a more high-end audience once in a while. Everybody loves a little bit of glamour.

That's definitely not the case with people like Bumblefoot anyway. He is somebody who would prefer to be in amongst the genuine fans playing acoustic sets or going out of his way to meet and greet the people who are working 9 to 5 jobs to see GNR and buying the CDs and merchandise and becoming members of the exortionate official online community. If Axl or Dj or whoever are becoming partial to playing for businessmen that could recite upto three songs and will never encounter GNR as part of their everyday lifestyle it's a disgrace. Not saying it is the case but if it is, take a leaf out of Bon Jovi's book (who while musically not the most superb of bands, are actively lowering the price of ticket so that the average man can check out his favourite band in this tough economic time).

Edited by NGOG

That's definitely not the case with people like Bumblefoot anyway. He is somebody who would prefer to be in amongst the genuine fans playing acoustic sets or going out of his way to meet and greet the people who are working 9 to 5 jobs to see GNR and buying the CDs and merchandise and becoming members of the exortionate official online community. If Axl or Dj or whoever are becoming partial to playing for businessmen that could recite upto three songs and will never encounter GNR as part of their everyday lifestyle it's a disgrace. Not saying it is the case but if it is, take a leaf out of Bon Jovi's book (who while musically not the most superb of bands, are actively lowering the price of ticket so that the average man can check out his favourite band in this tough economic time).

Why do you think people able to afford expensive shows are less fans? Just because they wear suits doesn't make them less of rockers. Just because they drink nice cocktails instead of beer doesn't make them less able to appreciate the music of GN'R. Just because they shake their jewellery rather than toss their urine doesn't make them less deserving of a good, rocking time. You are trying to make this into some class war, you commie ;).

And I wasn't saying they prefer this audience, just that it would be a nice respite from the unwashed, odorous masses at festivals. And seriously, nice to hang with other celebrities, models, etc.