Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

My only concern is it looks like it could/should be a 2 movies.

I think it's going to be 180 minutes.

I hope it is. I have no problem with long movies. I just don't want 90 or 100 or even more of it to be action sequences. It better be a good story and told well and not like the last 45-60 minutes of Man of Steel was with over the top ridiculous and boring action.

I hope it is. I have no problem with long movies. I just don't want 90 or 100 or even more of it to be action sequences. It better be a good story and told well and not like the last 45-60 minutes of Man of Steel was with over the top ridiculous and boring action.

I don't think you can have these insanely powerful iconic characters together and not have some sort of epic rumble. Against each other, and then against a common threat.

I don't think you can have these insanely powerful iconic characters together and not have some sort of epic rumble. Against each other, and then against a common threat.

I agree but the rumble in Man of Steal was tedious and lame in my opinion. It was just too much, and too much destruction and I just tuned out. The first half of the movie was cool in my opinion.

I agree but the rumble in Man of Steal was tedious and lame in my opinion. It was just too much, and too much destruction and I just tuned out. The first half of the movie was cool in my opinion.

It'll have a different feel now that they're gonna have all these different characters going at it at once. Now the cameras will have 4 times as many people to follow probably.

Man of steel was NOT a good movie. Honestly I feel it is a downright awful film, like Superman 3 and 4 bad. I know people like to defend it, but I think that is their fanboyisms coming out, because if you look at it objectivly, it's really a bad movie. Its long, boring, and none of the characters are really interesting. The guy that plays superman is boring as hell, Christopher reevs had 10x the karisma that the current guy has.

I'm not saying this just to bash on superman, because I've tried and tried to like that movie, I really have. I have watched it at least 5 times, including at the theater when it came out. I honestly fell asleep in the theater watching it. So I have tried to give it a fair chance over and over again, but I have finally seen the light, it's just a bad movie, period.

Having said that, I am very much looking forward to this next film, so I am not letting the bad taste that man of steel left in my mouth ruin my dinner.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Man of steel was NOT a good movie. Honestly I feel it is a downright awful film, like Superman 3 and 4 bad. I know people like to defend it, but I think that is their fanboyisms coming out, because if you look at it objectivly, it's really a bad movie. Its long, boring, and none of the characters are really interesting. The guy that plays superman is boring as hell, Christopher reevs had 10x the karisma that the current guy has.

I'm not saying this just to bash on superman, because I've tried and tried to like that movie, I really have. I have watched it at least 5 times, including at the theater when it came out. I honestly fell asleep in the theater watching it. So I have tried to give it a fair chance over and over again, but I have finally seen the light, it's just a bad movie, period.

Having said that, I am very much looking forward to this next film, so I am not letting the bad taste that man of steel left in my mouth ruin my dinner.

Rewatched Man of Steel last week and pretty much agree with this

What I really like about MOS:

No silly jokes, not much romance, Superman actually fighting, Krypton prologue, focus on him being an alien and not a clumsy reporter, Superman killing his enemy and feeling like shit for it.

What I dislike:

Lois is a forced character. She is this strong woman and they want to make it very clear, even if they have to teleport her to every scene or make Zod interested in having her on his ship for no apparent reason.

All in all, it's by far my favorite superhero movie and I'll probably like BvS equally. Comic book fans are silly with their "rules" - I loved seeing Clark being in a journey rather than an office, no Kryptonite, no Lex, Superman killing. All of this will be adressed now and I believe it will be very interesting.

@maynard,

If you like BvS just as much as Man of Steel, God help us all. Because that would mean that BvS is just as terrible, and boring. Honestly it would signal the end of the DCU imo. They need this film to be a homerun in order to continue. If it fails, or is lackluster (like mos) than I don't see any interest in future films. Well except for Batman of course.

What separates Marvel from DC at this moment (even though DC fanboys will disagree) is that (say what you will about their films or quality) but they have succeeded in capturing an audience between the ages of 5 and 65. (yes 65, I saw an older couple at age of ultron). DC on the other hand isn't gaining younger fans, they just keep getting 20s, 30s, and so ons going to their films. Thats where man of steel really failed, younger kids don't give a rat's ass about superman. He is like the cock rock of superheroes. He just isn't connecting with this generation. Maybe this film will change things, certainly Batmans and presence will help.

I feel the first half of the movie was good. I liked the set up and the little backstory. I enjoy watching the first half of the movie and actually wish it had gone more into Clark coming to terms with who he is. I absolutely hated it when General Zod and Co. got to earth though. It just turned into a shit action movie with completely stupid action sequences. Completely ruined it and that was almost the entire second half of the movie. As for Cavill as Superman I like him. He seems real to me and fits the ton these new DC movies are obviously going for. Christopher Reeves was great too but completely different style of movies. Reeve's version of Superman would be incredibly stupid in these new films.

I love how Louis just appears everywhere. The cemetery, fucking arctic, in space, on the military plane. Like, what the hell? She is a reporter!

Hilarious

THAT was fucking stupid for sure. She was awful in that role as Lois too.

I love Amy Adams, she's talented and beautiful but Lois was a forced character and I can't see it changing in BvS.

As for who takes more people to theaters. Couldn't care less. I can tolerate stupid blockbusters but Marvel does basically the same movie everytime. Guardians of the Galaxy is Avengers on space. Meh.

The bottom line is that Zack Snyder simply cannot produce a movie with heart and soul. He's proven that he doesn't have it in him. Watchmen was as close as he could get and even that was very muddy.

It's fine if eye candy is what is being served up, but you know that even if they've got an ace script, the heart of it wont translate because the heart isn't in Zack Snyder's camera lens.

The bottom line is that Zack Snyder simply cannot produce a movie with heart and soul. He's proven that he doesn't have it in him. Watchmen was as close as he could get and even that was very muddy.

It's fine if eye candy is what is being served up, but you know that even if they've got an ace script, the heart of it wont translate because the heart isn't in Zack Snyder's camera lens.

I can agree that he focus much more on visuals than giving the movie a "soul". But then again, what superhero movie have heart and soul? I can't think of any.

It's better than Superman Returns.

The worst MCU film is still far more entertaining than Man of Steel. Even Sony's amazing Spider-Man films and Fox's xmen films are better. Man of steel is better than Ghost rider, but that's about it. Hell even the abysmal fantastic four films are more entertaining than Man of steel. It's just a really tedious movie to sit through.

I do agree that the first half of the film was the best part. I don't hate Cavill as superman, he looks the part. Maybe it's just Snyder, he failed to really give the character any heart.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Do you guys like the Superman Returns flick with Kevin Spacey better than Man of Steel, or are they equally shite?

Not sure how a movie can be viewed "objectively." Art is a subjective expression, and can be interpreted by many. You personally found it boring, but you're not so narcissistic to believe that your opinion equals objectivity. You even say so yourself, you "feel it is a downright awful film," but others, like myself, feel differently.

Personally, I found it to be quite the opposite: neither long, boring, or uninteresting. I'm not someone who enjoys many of the previous Superman movies, but I enjoyed this one. It didn't work for you, but many others did.

Do you guys like the Superman Returns flick with Kevin Spacey better than Man of Steel, or are they equally shite?

Ya it's pretty bad as well.

Not sure how a movie can be viewed "objectively." Art is a subjective expression, and can be interpreted by many. You personally found it boring, but you're not so narcissistic to believe that your opinion equals objectivity. You even say so yourself, you "feel it is a downright awful film," but others, like myself, feel differently.

Personally, I found it to be quite the opposite: neither long, boring, or uninteresting. I'm not someone who enjoys many of the previous Superman movies, but I enjoyed this one. It didn't work for you, but many others did.

By objectively I meant not as a superman or DC fanboy. If you are a fanboy of something you will find a way to like it no matter what. But by viewing it objectively I was reserving my judgements for whether or not I liked it.

I have an account on comicvine (biggest comic forum on the net), and although I'm not a regular, I know how heated these types of discussions can get. That is why I prefaced my comment the way I did. You think Axl vs Slash comments can get ugly? Go to comicvine and talk Shit about superman and see how fast you piss off the locals. He is superhero equivalent of the Beatles or John Lennon, you go bad mouthing them and Shit gets hot.

But my comments are only meant as my opinions, if you enjoyed the film, then I'm happy for you. Its not a completely shitty film imo, it's just really boring. Most films pick up when the actions scenes begin, while that one just seems to drag on even more. Maybe it's not as bad as Superman 3 and 4, perhaps that was a stretch in my part. But I find those films midly entertaining, not boring. Cheesy yes, but not boring. Having said that, man of steel is nowhere near as good as superman 1 and 2. Those films may have been limited by their special effects, but they made up for it by having heart and really trying their best. 2 quailities that I do feel Snyder dropped the ball on.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I liked it enough to buy it on bluray, and watched it once or twice since then. I enjoyed it.

Gave it a look after the BvS trailer release, still enjoyed it. Though I will freely admit I'm not the biggest fan of the old films to start with. I don't consider them the golden standard by any means, certainly not above the Fleischer or Bruce Timm cartoons or even the George Reeves tv show.