Was Going Down really a good song?

Young_Gun

I don't get the hate for the guitar solo. Is it the best thing ever recorded? No. Is it "absolute fucking garbage"? No. I don't think it sounds out of place, but when I hear it I'm also trying to think of what a mixed and mastered version would sound like...

Agreed. It's not a particularly inspiring solo, but it doesn't fit that harsh description either. It seems to come from a hostility towards Bumblefoot being a creative force in GNR.

Nah the solo is fucking garbage. It adds nothing to the song and in fact takes away from the song. It's completely out of place with the style and tempo of the song. It sucks. A stupid solo for the sake of a solo that adds nothing of value to the song.

I think you think the solo is amazing and much better than anything Slash can do.

This angers you and causes you to post irrational ramblings.

Going Down, Dust N Bones & 14 Years are by far the best non-Axl vocal GNR songs.

Anything else that Izzy or Duff sang doesn't match up to the quality of those songs.

I actually like Double Talkin' Jive more than Going Down, Dust N' Bones and 14 Years, but otherwise I agree completely.

And to get back to the actual topic.....

I think it sounds pretty decent and has some potential, especially if they amp up the Axl backing vocals, which I found to be the best part of the song. Axl on the song brings it from being a C-plus to potentially a B-Plus or A-minus.

• Like 1

Nah the solo is fucking garbage. It adds nothing to the song and in fact takes away from the song. It's completely out of place with the style and tempo of the song. It sucks. A stupid solo for the sake of a solo that adds nothing of value to the song.

I think you think the solo is amazing and much better than anything Slash can do.
See lolcano, *this* is trolling. There was no need for you at all to ever bring Slash into this, yet you did just to get people pissed off and to start an argument. It'd be nice if you could just talk about the new band and the quality of their material *without* mentioning how much you hate Slash. Maybe you should learn to accept that not everybody feels that everything Axl and his guys do is pure gold. Edited by username
  • Like 2

Why would anybody in their right mind "lie" about whether or not they liked a solo? You'd have to be pretty pathetic to do that.

We're talking about the same group of people that hated on the 99' SCOM version so fkn much until they found out that old GnR performed the majority of the song, including the 2 first solos and half of the last solo. :lol:

Why would anybody in their right mind "lie" about whether or not they liked a solo? You'd have to be pretty pathetic to do that.

We're talking about the same group of people that hated on the 99' SCOM version so fkn much until they found out that old GnR performed the majority of the song, including the 2 first solos and half of the last solo. :lol:

Bruno.....ya, I don't get any of that.

I base my enjoyment of music on how pleasing it is to my ear. I don't care if it is Slash or DJ doing a solo. I don't care if Stevie Wonder or Justin Beiber is doing back ground vocals. I don't care if something is super popular or trendy, or if people think it sucks or the artist sucks. If I like it - I listen to it. If not - I don't. My ipod has everything from MMMbop by Hanson to Alicia Keys to Buddy Holly to Willie Nelson to Metal Church to Pink to Van Halen to Crash Diet to GnR.

Username --- great post. You hit the nail on the head. Hopefully Volcano will read that.

I don't think it's as bad as some folks make it out to be or as good as the nut-swingers say. There are after all ,people on here who argue the pros of Blood In The Water so we aren't exactly the most objective bunch. It's a decent tune,IMO and I'd like it a lot more if Axl were singing lead. It was one thing for Izzy to sing some songs but Tommy is no Izzy.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Honestly, I'm surprised Axl wasted his time on this song in the studio. It's not good enough to be considered a Gn'R song imo.

Generic, with lame lyrics, and the solo sucks. Listened to it a few times and forgot about it.

Sucks that Axl seem to prefer working on songs like Going Down instead of something like Argentinian Tango which at least has some potential and cool ideas.