Red Hot Chili Peppers' Unplugged at Super Bowl: Axl Rose Weighs In

Axl re-tweeted the Billboard article.

I'm confused. The Hollywood Reporter article appears to be the original (time posted is a few hours earlier). Are they owned by the same company or something, otherwise how could they get away with posting the exact same content without linking to the original?

Answer my own question, from Wikipedia: THR is part of Guggenheim Digital Media, a group of properties that also includes media entities Billboard

Beat me to it.

Seems no matter what Ax does its controversial. Why cant the guy joke around? Its tongue in cheek, sayin people shouldnt take it so serious even if they did mime. I thought it was pretty funny and lighthearted. But of course some are offended cuz its not what people expected of Axl. U guys will find anythin to bitch about. Even somethin so trivial.

Edited by ChineseIRS
  • Like 2

When was the last time we had 60 people viewing a thread? All because of Axl's incoherent rambling?

Christ we're a starved fan base. :lol:

Don't think we've seen this much traffic for anything that isn't a leak in years, when was the last time a gig had this much discussion? UCAP tour? Rio '11?

Edited by Amir

To me, it just reeks of PR (and perhaps bad PR). I wouldn't be surprised if he had his PR team write this and he signed off on it. Or maybe they told him that since everyone is talking about the RHCP performance, weighing into the conversation would be a great way to get people thinking about GNR again. Kind of like Axl showing up at the Korn concert in 2006.

Nonetheless, It is a strange statement. I'm not going to suggest that he embarrassed himself, since he seems to be clowning around. Not sure if it exactly landed, but printed humour is a tough task. I'd have a hard time believing that an artist who performs with lyric monitors would seriously criticize another performer. Axl Rose does not get to slight another performer for being a karaoke act.

In any event, if it is indeed a PR maneuver (and I can't find any other explanation for it - can't see Axl feeling compelled to write this if it weren't to help promote the upcoming tours), it has likely worked. Got us all talking.

Edited by downzy

To me, it just reeks of PR (and perhaps bad PR). I wouldn't be surprised if he had his PR team write this and he signed off on it. Or maybe they told him that since everyone is talking about the RHCP performance, weighing into the conversation would be a great way to get people thinking about GNR again. Kind of like Axl showing up at the Korn concert in 2006.

Nonetheless, It is a strange statement. I'm not going to suggest that he embarrassed himself, since he seems to be clowning around. Not sure if it exactly landed, but printed humour is a tough task. I'd have a hard time believing that an artist who performs with lyric monitors would seriously criticize another performer. Axl Rose does not get to slight another performer for being a karaoke act.

In any event, if it is indeed a PR maneuver (and I can't find any other explanation for it - can't see Axl feeling compelled to write this if it weren't to help promote the upcoming tours), it has likely worked. Got us all talking.

Most performers use lyric monitors...

But as far as PR goes some say the 2009 airport punch was staged for PR. I just think Axl has interesting timing. It doesn't seem to be his style to write a funny blog post as a PR move. Who knows though? Axl wasn't doing much PR for Chinese democracy. I hope we keep hearing from him either way.

They were playing karaoke while faking it, so most likely everyone thought it was a great performance until someone caught them off guard. This is bullshit. Maiden, Nirvana and Queen had to do the same but they did not fake it back in the days - they were showing the public that they had to do that, but didnt agree with it. RHCP lacked balls to do the same. Oh Flea, Bruno Mars is super talented? Go fuck yourself, hypocrite. Licking Mars' ass will make you look bad and nothing else. I hope everyone in the industry makes fun of them - they ASKED for it.

• Like 1

Most performers use lyric monitors...

But as far as PR goes some say the 2009 airport punch was staged for PR. I just think Axl has interesting timing. It doesn't seem to be his style to write a funny blog post as a PR move. Who knows though? Axl wasn't doing much PR for Chinese democracy. I hope we keep hearing from him either way.

The release of Chinese Democracy wasn't going to make him much, if any, money. These tours, however, will.

They were playing karaoke while faking it, so most likely everyone thought it was a great performance until someone caught them off guard. This is bullshit. Maiden, Nirvana and Queen had to do the same but they did not fake it back in the days - they were showing the public that they had to do that, but didnt agree with it. RHCP lacked balls to do the same. Oh Flea, Bruno Mars is super talented? Go fuck yourself, hypocrite. Licking Mars' ass will make you look bad and nothing else. I hope everyone in the industry makes fun of them - they ASKED for it.

Really? You wanted them to protest during the Superbowl? I'm sure the RCHP are glad not to have you as their manager.

Bruno Mars is super talented. You might not like what he produces, but to suggest that a guy who is a multi-instrumentalist (I checked out his wikipedia page and apparently he can play the drums, guitar, keyboard/piano, bass, and harmonica) and can write hits not only for himself but for others (I'm sure there are others, but he did co-write "Fuck You," performed by Cee Lo Green) is pretty talented in my books.

I'm not a huge fan of his, but you're not doing yourself much service by arguing Flea's point.

Edited by downzy

"Oh well, so much for science! But hey, they still got that karaoke thing going for 'em! Awesome! They're right up there with the sign language guy, whose deep n' heartfelt dedication, absolute total commitment, conviction (or maybe that was just the other 3 tire binding, poor sob burning murderers), absence of sanity, and ultimate public achievement should not b forgotten! God Bless Mandela for his consideration n' generosity, for foreseeing this noble event and kicking the bucket (too soon?) allowing us this, not unlike the Superbowl, historic, heroic n' amazing event! Amen!!"

What the actual fuck is this?! Who are the murderers he's referring to? What he is referring to when he's talking about historic event?! This makes no sense.