Am I the only GNR fan who dislikes Welcome to the Jungle?

Guest cbgnr666

Probably one of the greatest concert openers possible.With PC being a seemingly perfect song for closing out a show.

Welcome to the Jungle is one of the best rock songs of all time. They really packed a lot into a four and a half minute song - big intro, great riffs, key changes, catchy melody, memorable bridge, and so on. It will always be one of my favorite songs. The weakest of Appetite is Anything Goes which is a song I could just never get into. You're Crazy is also in the "meh" category for me since the Lies version is much better.

Of the crowd pleasers the one I really hate is Knocking on Heaven's Door... as much as I do "the jack" by AC/DC... don't like the prolonged middles with the audience having to sing along.

I can't stand The Jack. It's the one AC/DC song that I just don't look forward to live. It gets old really fast considering it's been the same tired routine for years. I also prefer when Angus does his striptease in other songs.

I've seen people dislike Sweet Child (though I never understood why) and even November rain, but I've never seen someone dislike Welcome to the Jungle. Am I the only one who thinks this is the only mediocre song on Appetite For Destruction?

It has an amazing delayed intro, but that's where the enjoyment ends for me. Mediocre verse and chorus riffs, boring solos and most noteably, lyrics feel unstructured and all over the place.

Anyone agree?

I don't think the song's mediocre at all, it's got a great build up and it explodes. As far as the different parts in that song and what he's singing about? It's something that's relevant to a lot of people out there, moving to a city where everybody is in it for themselves and everyone's doing what they can to survive, no matter how degrading it is. That's how it is, and if you don't like it, go back to mommy and daddy, or tough it out and take your chances and maybe you'll make it. Maybe.

Is it overplayed? Definitely.

I've seen people dislike Sweet Child (though I never understood why) and even November rain, but I've never seen someone dislike Welcome to the Jungle. Am I the only one who thinks this is the only mediocre song on Appetite For Destruction?

It has an amazing delayed intro, but that's where the enjoyment ends for me. Mediocre verse and chorus riffs, boring solos and most noteably, lyrics feel unstructured and all over the place.

Anyone agree?

Great thing about music is that it is all about musical preference.

I think Jungle might be the greatest hard rock song of all time.

It's pretty much the perfect hard rock song.

No, you're not the only Gn'R fan but certainly one of the very very few. That is, if you're not an alt. account, which I doubt. But oh well, let's play along...

WTTJ is one of the best rock songs written in the history of rock but you don't have to like it if you don't like it. If that makes sense. I personally love it. Slash's killer riff and Axl's crazy vocals are beyond awesome.

I work in Sports Biz and arena rock overuse has made me less a WTJ fan. Its iconic and always will be but I prefer PC in the dual of big AFD anthems and like SCOM, RQ, ISE and NT all better. But Jungle put GNR on the map and has the best intro riff of arguably any epic rock song ever.

I have never enjoyed it live until 2006 onward. The way he sings nowadays - with the higher voice, suits the song better I think. Especially the screams.

For me the performances from the 80's and 90's are killer

The early 2000's were not great mostly because of Axl's non-rasp and having no power. However I think that the 2006 shows were full of great Jungle performances but even now since 2011 it can be very hit and miss vocally

Edited by WhazUp

It's better than Sweet Child O' Mine.

Seriously? I find it hard to believe people could think that. I am personally shocked that some dont think SCOM is one of the greatest rock songs of all time.

We've all heard it a million times so I'm sure none of us want to listen to it again, but let's face it, when we first heard it we were amazed.

The interludes on SCOM are perfection. Every single note Slash plays after the two choruses are perfection - so much passion placed in just a few juicy notes on the neck pickup. Vocals are amazing too.

Each to their own I guess.

Edited by Axl?

• 3 weeks later...

Appetite for Destruction is my favourite album, but there is one song I genuinely dislike on it.

Welcome to the Jungle.

The intro and breakdown are great, but they don't make up for the mess that is the rest of the song.

If I could sum up its problem in one sentence: Axl was more concerned about having fun when singing the song rather than focussing on whether the lyrics would actually flow well.

The out of place "shanananana" during the choruses and random moaning noises (that don't fit in like they did in Rocket Queen) are both things Axl probably wanted to do for fun, without realising they don't flow with the rest of the song.

For what it's worth, I love Axl's voice. But the lyrics stil need to flow.

Can someone please explain to me why people love this song so much?