Slash calls 'Sweet Child o' Mine' the "gayest thing you can write"

Given his track record. Calling SCOM gay and it becoming his most lucrative song. So he quit after he heard This I Love. It's come a full circle. From gay to butthurt back round to gay. Slash has to play This I Love live in a pink suit to ascend.

But then you have "Don't Cry" which the band had done from the beginning. If he was anti-ballads, he wouldn't have joined GNR, and Slash leaving GNR was happening over a 2 year period. We also have to remember Duff also rejected Slash's demos, it wasn't just Axl.

I just think it shows the seeds that led to the downfall of the band. Slash didn't want the focus of the band to be ballads. If Slash didn't have this kind of opinion he'd still be in GNR.

According to Axl, the band was working solely on Slash's material, which was going to be the 1996 (or 2000) version of Aerosmith's Rocks, but Slash left because he was afraid it would be successful.

And yet Slash went on to release 2 Snakepit albums, 2 VR albums and 2 solo albums with another new album in the can because he is afraid to release new music and be successful................and we all know how Axl loves to be told what to do and how much he loved the Snakepit material.....and where is this epic "Rocks" material now?..................makes perfect sense................. :facepalm:

Can you please provide a source for your quote as that is a new one for me............

• Like 1

I just think it shows the seeds that led to the downfall of the band. Slash didn't want the focus of the band to be ballads. If Slash didn't have this kind of opinion he'd still be in GNR.

According to Axl, the band was working solely on Slash's material, which was going to be the 1996 (or 2000) version of Aerosmith's Rocks, but Slash left because he was afraid it would be successful.

And yet Slash went on to release 2 Snakepit albums, 2 VR albums and 2 solo albums with another new album in the can because he is afraid to release new music and be successful................and we all know how Axl loves to be told what to do and how much he loved the Snakepit material.....and where is this epic "Rocks" material now?..................makes perfect sense................. :facepalm:

Can you please provide a source for your quote as that is a new one for me............

I wasn't saying I agreed with what Axl said. And it wasn't an exact quote, it was my summary of what he said in his 2002 letter, which I assume everyone read: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-speaks/

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

I wasn't saying I agreed with what Axl said. And it wasn't an exact quote, it was my summary of what he said in his 2002 letter, which I assume everyone read: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-speaks/

Fair enough Shadow and thanks for posting the link to the interview as it was a very interesting read to see Axl's view on what happened..........there is so much about what Axl said that can be commented on but I do not want to derail the thread and start another Axl vs. Slash pissing match..........But one interesting comment he made concerned Duff where he distanced himself from him due to his loyalty to Slash yet he seems to have forgiven him. I wonder what turned things around for Axl with Duff...........

Bet he likes the money it made him and the money it still makes him.

What a loser!

I did read that when making AFD, Axl had to fight to have that song put on the album, because Slash didn't like it.

Was GNR's biggest cross over hit and is still one of their biggest songs to date.

Slash needs to stop acting like a 10 year old in his interviews.

I've always wondered why Axl was able to forgive Izzy (who talked shit and got personal and petty with the "never got laid in high school" comments), Duff (who also talked shit), and Steven (at a point at least, who almost killed Erin), but not Slash. Never Slash.

FFS Erin even must've gotten a pass for attempting to crucify Axl in the press if the official GNR twitter flaunted her appearance at a show.

I have yet to see a comment Slash made, or an action that Slash has been reported to made even by Axl that was any worse than what the other people on the shit list did. I mean, I have my own theories, but it'd be nice if Axl didn't dance around with cryptic fuckery and just say what Slash did and/or said that was so forgivable.

He has time to bash the man, why doesn't he time to explain his reasoning?

Bet he likes the money it made him and the money it still makes him.

What a loser!

I did read that when making AFD, Axl had to fight to have that song put on the album, because Slash didn't like it.

Was GNR's biggest cross over hit and is still one of their biggest songs to date.

Slash needs to stop acting like a 10 year old in his interviews.

Wait, how is he acting like a 10 year old by giving what his opinion of the song was in 1986?

I can probably assume correctly that you have yet to hear the interview clip posted, nothing he said was really out of line to be honest, the thread title and some of the posts in this topic give a false representation of what was actually said.

I've always wondered why Axl was able to forgive Izzy (who talked shit and got personal and petty with the "never got laid in high school" comments), Duff (who also talked shit), and Steven (at a point at least, who almost killed Erin), but not Slash. Never Slash.

FFS Erin even must've gotten a pass for attempting to crucify Axl in the press if the official GNR twitter flaunted her appearance at a show.

I have yet to see a comment Slash made, or an action that Slash has been reported to made even by Axl that was any worse than what the other people on the shit list did. I mean, I have my own theories, but it'd be nice if Axl didn't dance around with cryptic fuckery and just say what Slash did and/or said that was so forgivable.

Axl has alluded to Slash using their feud to advance himself, so maybe that's the distinction. In his HOF letter he referenced "revision and fantasy" for the purpose of "business opportunities". Seems he thinks Slash has benefited from people viewing him negatively, and believing he swindled them out of the name. Of course Duff backed up the name stealing thing, but there is probably some truth to the idea that Axl is somewhat jealous of Slash's solo success.

Axl has alluded to Slash using their feud to advance himself, so maybe that's the distinction. In his HOF letter he referenced "revision and fantasy" for the purpose of "business opportunities". Seems he thinks Slash has benefited from people viewing him negatively, and believing he swindled them out of the name. Of course Duff backed up the name stealing thing, but there is probably some truth to the idea that Axl is somewhat jealous of Slash's solo success.

Both Izzy and Duff said things about Axl in interviews similar to what Slash has said in the past yet he seems to have forgiven them so there has to be more to Axl's hatred then meets the eye........I think Marc Canter hit the nail on the head when he said the only thing which could possibly repair that relationship would be joint counseling but both have too much ego and are too stubborn to make the first overture to do it at this point IMHO............

Edited by classicrawker

Both Izzy and Duff said things about Axl in interviews similar to what Slash has said in the past yet he seems to have forgiven them so there has to be more to Axl's hatred then meets the eye........I think Marc Canter hit the nail on the head when he said the only thing which could possibly repair that relationship would be joint counseling but both have too much ego and are too stubborn to make the first overture to do it at this point IMHO............

For anyone to quit a band on top tells us it's a really miserable time.

I think for Izzy, it was easier because he had no business partnership with GNR so there was no hidden agenda. WIth Duff, that was probably because he wanted Axl to know about the book, and his manager Rachel Bolan (the Skid Row guy) worked for Doc McGhee, who was managing GNR. Duff said it was coincidence they were in the same hotel, unless Bolan and McGhee just kept Duff in the dark about it and Axl had been the one to agree to it. I do think it was planned out, just not sure who did the planning.

http://www.webn.com/onair/the-kiddchris-show-49404/listen-slash-calls-sweet-child-o-12241318/

What a fucking goof. Yeah, talk down your biggest hit song like it makes you some kind of badass, but then keep playing it at every show.

So, by proxy, does Slash think the people who show up to his little shows to hear SCOM are the gayest fans you can have?

did you even bother to listen to the clip? He said at the end thats how he felt during the GNR days and has since felt differently about the song. This isnt the first time he's said this either, I've heard it in several interviews.

He says uptempo ballads are they gayest thing you can write. Then goes on to say he loves the guitar riff on it. People here are so sensationalist.

Exactly.

And even if he'd say that he hates that song NOW and the song is gay, who gives a shit, it's his song and he can say whatever he wants about it, and still play it for the fans if he wants too.

Get a grip people.

• Like 1

For anyone to quit a band on top tells us it's a really miserable time.

I think for Izzy, it was easier because he had no business partnership with GNR so there was no hidden agenda. WIth Duff, that was probably because he wanted Axl to know about the book, and his manager Rachel Bolan (the Skid Row guy) worked for Doc McGhee, who was managing GNR. Duff said it was coincidence they were in the same hotel, unless Bolan and McGhee just kept Duff in the dark about it and Axl had been the one to agree to it. I do think it was planned out, just not sure who did the planning.

That's a good point. I think it was planned too, but I don't think Duff lied.

This has most likely been said already but....

Most of Slashes best solos are on the ballads, especially the UYI power ballads. I think he had such good solos on the those songs because he wanted to out do Axls piano work. But they ended up pushing themselves to one up the other and we got some great songs!!!!

I don't think Slash is a very good people person. He has terrible quotes. He talked about how much he hated conversations and interviews on Howard stern. It just seems Slash is protecting his brand when he talks. There's no doubt he's one of the great guitarist of all time though.

Axl on the other hand conveys what he wants to say very well in interviews or conversations. He says very true things regardless of what he's asked. He was once asked about his music being cut short on the radio and he said it's disappointing to him because he feels Slash's solo in scom is one of the most intense and powerful solos he's ever heard. He said fans are cheated when they miss out on things like that.

Slash I think struggles to express any emotion as to what a song means to him. He's too focused on not saying anything "gay" because he's the cool guitar guy. It's easy to say a song is "gay" "lame" "terrible" but how about you explain why this is. Is it "gay" because a guy is expressing what a girl means to him? I'm not saying Slash is wrong. He's just always been the "yea whatever" guy. It would be great to hear Slash talk about music more in depth and I would love to hear him talk about his favorite lyrics and just get more into what he's saying instead of focusing on what not to say.

Idk to me Axl lets his guard down far more than we give him credit for. He's much more honest in his feelings, and isn't afraid to not be the rock and roll icon. If he gets asked something you can expect the answer and then some.

With slash it seems he has a hard time being Saul. He just wants to be the guitar hero and lives inside his self created character.

• Like 1

Slash is evil. Somethings are unforgivable. We don't know what the fuck is the exact reason, cause Axl ain't exactly telling. No. Maybe he's having some trouble with letting go of his anger. Who knows?

Doesn't have to forgive Slash, but if he's going to keep treating him like a cancer, without expressing his views on why, it just comes off as crazy. I'll still give Axl the benefit of the doubt, so until I hear his side of it, I'm not going to totally disregard his feelings toward Slash, but it's fucked up.

GNR is kind of two bands in one. You have the sleazy rock n roll band and you have the more progressive classic rock band. From the first two albums you have GNR Early Days and CD is GNR Latter Days. One's more Aero/DC the other more Nu Zeppelin.

The usual hysterical cherry picking from the Slash haters.

The guy said himself the band saw themselves in the AC/DC vein until they wrote SCOM.

He never liked the song for years but admits his taste was obviously suspect.

And by the way, they were twenty something year old street rats when this happened, not librarians in a fucking university.

The "gay" comment was merely a jokey aside. The holier-than-thou defence of the homosexual community some of you dished out in return was misdirected and fucking ridiculous.

Why are some of you sooooo desperate to make something out of nothing with everything this guy says and does?

Despite the years of insane hatred from Axl, neither he nor his yes men have ever committed anything really clear in writing about WHAT SLASH DID for us all to read and discuss.

Fears of a slander suit maybe?

What else could Axl be pissed about except Slash didn't end up lying drunk in a gutter, thereby absolving Axl from all the public hate for grabbing GNR for himself.

He has never delivered anything else to prove otherwise and neither have any of you.

And to those of you above who think Axl expresses himself...give me a break. His in dept interviews have only been with Del in recent years, which has to mean they were heavily scripted and mulled over yet still almost unreadable.

• Like 2

But even when you consider the "revisionism" and such, Duff participated in that. "That" in which Axl *perceives" as revisionism at least. Again, Steve almost killed Erin, and sued the band over credits in which Axl felt he didn't deserve in the first place, at a pivotal time in their career.

In short, I'd just like to hear Axl's STRAIGHT, bullshit free answer as to why Slash isn't being allotted the same get out of jail free card he gave every other heyday member.

I know it wouldn't change anything, but it'd be nice to have some closure on that whole ordeal. And to have that long, drawn out, unresolved mystery...well...resolved.

Edited by Bobbo