Forum Changes - Merging Discussion and News, Side Projects and the Slash section

highvoltage

If only there were a huge island somewhere where we could put people who wronged us like High' did. Criminals.. A big island where we could all collectively send our criminals... I vaguely remember once having one of those. :P

Please don't ban me. :ph34r:

• Like 1

On a serious note, I think I'd prefer the main section without all the tags rather than with. It just looks messy.

And I'd still prefer to just split it in a GnR-related and a Non-GnR-related section. Not based on who is or isn't in the band. Just based on whether the subject is GnR related. I mean, discussing Bucket's 328th release of the month in the GnR section seems silly. But that's just my opinion.

I'm openly stating my vote to just go back to how things were previously. As if it didn't look a little messy after the initial change, now with the gray tags things look even worse :lol:

Sure, lemme just put your vote on the "people who do nothing, so their opinion doesn't count" pile. :awesomeface:

I mean, discussing Bucket's 328th release of the month in the GnR section seems silly. But that's just my opinion.

And I get that too.... but those threads are getting plenty of views and posts. You were wrong about this, and I provided an example on the previous page (I'll look for more over the next week):

But how exactly can you even determine that? Doing well? What will basically happen is that threads that are interesting for specific small groups of fans will get buried and will get less posts than they do now.

Still too much clutter for my taste. Certainly isn't a deal breaker, but I much prefer the old format and feel it makes much more sense.

Yep - at this point it seems me and about 3 other people are all that seem to prefer it.

I'm not as bothered by everything being thrown in together.. If you look past that aspect, it's clear that the threads themselves are getting a lot more replies than they were in Side Projects. I'm not saying that's the only measure of success or anything, but it's noticeable.

EDIT: Take this thread about Sorum, which hit 3 pages and got 1500 views in 48 hours: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/207248-matt-sorum-says-the-launch-of-vr-was-the-biggest-moment-in-his-career/

The last four threads about Matt, which were originally posted to Side Projects and would have been on the front couple pages for weeks:

0 replies, 118 views: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/207026-matt-sorum-interviewed-on-sixx-sense/?hl=sorum

3 replies, 233 views: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/206967-matt-sorums-new-song/?hl=sorum

3 replies, 353 views: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/206565-interview-matt-sorum-songfactscom/?hl=sorum

0 replies, 455 views: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/206561-matt-sorum-interviewed-by-the-rock-revival/?hl=sorum

I'm not going to force people into keeping things this way, but it's worth seeing a month or so out to see if any minds are changed.

You don't have to love it, but you have to admit - the threads that were originally in SP are getting a lot more hits in D&N. Slash's "Guest Appearance" thread just went past 3000 hits and is on it's 4th page.

And I get that too.... but those threads are getting plenty of views and posts. You were wrong about this, and I provided an example on the previous page (I'll look for more over the next week):

You don't have to love it, but you have to admit - the threads that were originally in SP are getting a lot more hits in D&N. Slash's "Guest Appearance" thread just went past 3000 hits and is on it's 4th page.

I'll give you that, absolutely. But that was the slash/vr/other thing. I think more people would look in a simple 2-subforum thing as well. And on top of that we're just facilitating laziness now. :P It has it's pros and cons. Getting things that have nothing at all to do with GnR anymore (what band should Buckethead join) is a more important con to me than a slash thread getting more hits. I think roughly the same pros (though maybe not to the exact same extent) would be achieved with a GnR-related and Non-GnR-related section, but with less of the cons and less clutter. I'm not saying it sucks now or anything. Just that it's not my ideal way to do it.

tl;dr: My idea was still better. :max:

I'm one of the 3 people who approve of the change. Still liking it a lot. I think the tags are unnecessary though to be honest. You can usually tell what a thread is from the title 98% of the time. And if people open one about Robin by accident, for example, is it really that big of a deal? It's pretty easy to close and move on. Many of the same threads have remained on the first page since the change took affect, but with more activity in them than usual. Why isn't that seen as a good thing? Some people seemed concerned certain threads might get lost, but that hasn't happened at all. Anyway, a legit "good thread" doesn't get buried.

I'm one of the 3 people who approve of the change. Still liking it a lot. I think the tags are unnecessary though to be honest. You can usually tell what a thread is from the title 98% of the time. And if people open one about Robin by accident, for example, is it really that big of a deal? It's pretty easy to close and move on. Many of the same threads have remained on the first page since the change took affect, but with more activity in them than usual. Why isn't that seen as a good thing? Some people seemed concerned certain threads might get lost, but that hasn't happened at all. Anyway, a legit "good thread" doesn't get buried.

I am with this.

It's making the discussion in the main section more diverse and I'm noticing threads I would never bother to read in the other sections. However, I am not very fond of the tags.

I am with this.

It's making the discussion in the main section more diverse and I'm noticing threads I would never bother to read in the other sections. However, I am not very fond of the tags.

Agreed. No tags, but keep the changes for a while, I believe it can work.

We should be able to filter topics on those gray button "tags". That would be an effective way to take care of the mess. So, for example, If I don't want to read threads about Slash and/or a Reunion I should be able to deselect them in that little filter menu that is on the top. The main section would be much better off in this way IMO.

• Like 2

We should be able to filter topics on those gray button "tags". That would be an effective way to take care of the mess. So, for example, If I don't want to read threads about Slash and/or a Reunion I should be able to deselect them in that little filter menu that is on the top. The main section would be much better off in this way IMO.

That's a GREAT idea IMO. High - would it be possible to implement this?

Nah, it only works in reverse (you can click a tag to see other topics with the same tag). You can't filter things out with them.

Part of the reason I'd like to get people using tags more.... is that I think IPB 4.0 (due out very soon) might integrate and use them a little better than they do now. They might have features like what you're suggesting, or something else similar to it.

• Like 1

Been away for a week and the whole forum's changed :max: (Well, I like to exaggerate sometimes.)

But after one day, I can say I'm already used to it and I like the tags, especially for the Show Threads. I mostly use View New Content, because I'm on here all the time, but for those who are not here every day (or those who've been away for a week ;) ), I can imagine that it takes some getting used to.

So; for me it can stay this way, HV :)

• Like 1