A Complete List of Facts re: Potential for Reunion

I decided to put a list together of everything we know about the potential for a reunion, and based on this I really believe it's going to happen one day:

1) Axl said in his 2011 L.A Times interview "If a reunion were to happen, it would be Duff and Slash really, no offense to the other guys". Clearly referring to the fact that Steven can't stay on the road for more than a couple months without starting up on the drugs and that Izzy hasn't done a tour in almost 20 years. The fact that he'd even mention that Slash/Duff are two people he could potentially reunite with was a good clue.

2) Axl was willing to reunite with the old band at the hall of fame IF the new band was also able to perform. This doesn't sound to me like he'd never be willing or able to deal with Slash again.

3) Izzy has said he would do a reunion tour if it was the original five guys, and has played with the current lineup on numerous occasions.

4) Duff has said he would do a GNR reunion, and has also played with the current lineup on numerous occasions including an entire SA tour.

5) Slash has said "never say never", and was clearly willing to reunite at the RNRHOF and wished Axl would show up for the fans.

6) Steven is Steven.

7) The highlight of Matt's life was being in GNR, and as he says now, "at least with Axl we sold out stadiums instead of hockey rinks".

Here are some things I don't understand:

1) Alan Niven said Izzy waited in L.A to meet Axl to discuss the RNRHOF induction but Axl never showed up.

2) Dizzy said in the interview posted last week that he, Axl, and Izzy made the decision collectively not to go to the Hall of Fame. What loyalty does Izzy have to Axl that he wouldn't show up to the induction? After all, Duff showed up to the induction and got invited to play on an entire tour...it clearly didn't burn any bridges or harm their relationship.

I think the first step in this will be Izzy/Duff both guesting in Las Vegas during the residency, and possibly playing on one or two songs together. Duff is all but confirmed for a few shows, and Izzy has been known to pop up in Vegas in the past. Considering that the three of them are all on great terms with each other, I see no reason why this wouldn't/couldn't happen.

My prediction: Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy/Matt/Dizzy do a reunion show in 2015. It won't be for money, and there won't ever be an album, but I believe the early Illusions lineup WILL get together for at least one more show.

1) Axl said in his 2011 L.A Times interview "If a reunion were to happen, it would be Duff and Slash really, no offense to the other guys". Clearly referring to the fact that Steven can't stay on the road for more than a couple months without starting up on the drugs and that Izzy hasn't done a tour in almost 20 years. The fact that he'd even mention that Slash/Duff are two people he could potentially reunite with was a good clue.

I didn't see him say that anywhere here: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/21/entertainment/la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221

Axl's never said he'd be up for it.

I think the first step in this will be Izzy/Duff both guesting in Las Vegas during the residency, and possibly playing on one or two songs together. Duff is all but confirmed for a few shows, and Izzy has been known to pop up in Vegas in the past. Considering that the three of them are all on great terms with each other, I see no reason why this wouldn't/couldn't happen.

And this little fact from Axl:

For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough.
Edited by Silent Jay

Guest Len B'stard

1) not gonna happen

2) not gonna happen

3) not gonna happen

4) not gonna happen

5) not gonna happen

6) not gonna happen

7) not gonna happen

8) not gonna happen

9) not gonna happen

10) not gonna happen

A comprehensive list of all the possible outcomes regarding the reunion question :D

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever heard or read Axl hint at a possible reunion with Slash. It's never even been on the table for him.

The hall of fame was never going to happen

With Axl and Slash.

Axl will need a spiritually life changing event to speak with Slash, let alone stand on a stage with him.

Here is Axl's exact quote regarding a reunion from that L.A. Times article:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

"All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion."

• Like 1

The way I interpret it is Axl saying that a reunion would only work [for the managers] if Slash and Duff was in it. Or perhaps he is saying that it wouldn't be a true reunion unless Slash and Duff were there. So he acknowledges that a proper reunion would have to include Slash and Duff, both from an artistic and/or commercial viewpoint, but this doesn't mean that is open for doing it - he is not saying anything about that. And from other interview and comments we know his adamant views on reuniting with Slash.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

Since both men never meet, a reunion will never happen.

If they got stuck in a lift together, they could throw a few jabs, then cry, hug, make up and then you never know...

Both men avoid each other like the plague and have done so with 100% success for two decades. Can't see what they could be doing other than a funeral where they will meet and even then they would still have to talk.

We can dream, but dream is all it will be.

Here is Axl's exact quote regarding a reunion from that L.A. Times article:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

"All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion."

Thanks. I honestly had no recollection of this. Apologies OP.

It's too late anyway.

One last performance at the HOF would have been the perfect capper.

Give everyone a little taste, and leave em wanting more.

A world tour with Fat Axl wheezing around and the other guys basically still kicking ass would just be crucified by the media. It's all about the mystique. The legend. The wanting what we can't have. If we got it? We wouldn't want it.

Besides....Adler would be dead of an OD before the first leg of the tour was over.

Sure, if I could have one wish, I'd love to see those 5 assholes play a set, even a few songs together ONE LAST TIME, just to celebrate the past and revel in the fact that they all lived longer than they were supposed to. And it's a goddamn shame the HOF show would have been the perfect venue for this.

But that's all I would want. I don't need a new album or a tour. Leave it to the past. Axl can't sing anymore. It's pretty fucking pointless without the main ingredient.

• Like 1

I decided to put a list together of everything we know about the potential for a reunion, and based on this I really believe it's going to happen one day:

He didn't mean he could potentially reunite with them, this statement has been misconstrued repeatedly. His point was that a 100% reunion was impossible anyway, "so it's not even a full reunion", Nothing in that statement indicated he would ever be willing to reunite with Slash, just that not everyone would even be capable of participating in a reunion if he was willing to, so clamoring for one is pointless.

1) not gonna happen

2) not gonna happen

3) not gonna happen

4) not gonna happen

5) not gonna happen

6) not gonna happen

7) not gonna happen

8) not gonna happen

9) not gonna happen

10) not gonna happen

A comprehensive list of all the possible outcomes regarding the reunion question :D

This is a very good list.

Axl has said he'll be dead in a box before even TALKING to Slash again.

Is there a more definitive statement he could make?

If he actually believes that, why would he say he tried to make it work with the Hall of Fame? Unless his definition of "trying to make it work" was stipulating that Slash couldn't be at the event which would just be laughable.

He didn't mean he could potentially reunite with them, this statement has been misconstrued repeatedly. His point was that a 100% reunion was impossible anyway, "so it's not even a full reunion", Nothing in that statement indicated he would ever be willing to reunite with Slash, just that not everyone would even be capable of participating in a reunion if he was willing to, so clamoring for one is pointless.

The fact that he's even talking about it like it's no big deal is a big deal in itself. To say "even if it did happen, it would only be with the person I'll never talk to again" in such a carefree way really caught my attention. In the past, it's always been "never in a billion years, Slash is a cancer, I'll be dead before I talk to him again." Not "If there was a reunion, it'd only be me, him, and Duff." Very different tone to me.

Axl has said he'll be dead in a box before even TALKING to Slash again.

Is there a more definitive statement he could make?

If he actually believes that, why would he say he tried to make it work with the Hall of Fame? Unless his definition of "trying to make it work" was stipulating that Slash couldn't be at the event which would just be laughable.

It would be, absolutely. But knowing him and how he thinks, can you dismiss it outright?

You have to read the Axl chats to understand why Axl will never trade in all he's fought for to get a couple more million, as many wasted years he's had, he's fought long and hard for where he's at now and seems happy.

He might as well get Seymour on stage, that's more likely.

Maybe he was as deluded about how nuGuns would be accepted as we are about how great a reunion would be? Back when those chats took place, I think he had some hope, as the endgame always seemed to be to get this band to the level of old GNR, destroy the old band's legacy/wipe Slash from everyone's memory, and demonstrate that he had something to say by producing quality music.

Unfortunately, along with his self-created issues, everyone except him shows up to the Hall of Fame as Guns n Roses, the release of ChiDem is barely supported and sells MAYBE to 20% of expectations, audiences continually diminish, fans are harsher and harsher, and he has no opportunity or desire to go through that again. I don't think he's achieved what he's worked for, and I can only hope he realizes that sooner than later.

• Like 1

The hole he dug is just too deep and his pride way too bullet proof to even contemplate making amends with Slash in his own head let alone dismantling his comfortable new perception and rapport with Guns N' Roses and rework old wounds and scarred territory, I don't know what motivation could make him scale that mountain because it wouldn't be monetary, Duff and Izzy are about five tiers below Slash's tainted pedestal in his head imo, they're small time accumulation of dirt and blood, Slash is like his heart being ripped out by a rusty chainsaw, with Steph at least he only shared one aspect of himself with her and there are expectations in fiery relationships, Slash's relationship with him is so layered and convoluted.