Reunion "Event Horizon"

Basically, when will it be "too late" for you to care? As in the point of "no return"?

For me, I think it really has already passed. About 5 or 6 years ago, I would have been completely stoked about the possibility of a reunion and an album from the original lineup.

Now, the idea of it....sort of is a "meh" moment for me.

Knowing the history of this band and Axl's relationship with Slash, etc.....I know that it'll never be the same....it'll never be like it was in the late 80's and early 90's....so what's the point, really?

Do I really want to see two guys on stage that are really doing it "just to do it"? And do I really want to see two guys on stage that are well past their primes and not really into it? Especially since they'd be up there together....?

How about you? Would you still be excited to see a reunion at this point?

P.S.....don't get me wrong....I'd still be among the first people in line to get tickets to a reunion show.....just not nearly as excited as I would have been a few years ago. (Then again, who knows....if it were to happen, it could change my mind..... :shrugs: )

• Like 1

Basically, when will it be "too late" for you to care? As in the point of "no return"?

For me, I think it really has already passed. About 5 or 6 years ago, I would have been completely stoked about the possibility of a reunion and an album from the original lineup.

Now, the idea of it....sort of is a "meh" moment for me.

Knowing the history of this band and Axl's relationship with Slash, etc.....I know that it'll never be the same....it'll never be like it was in the late 80's and early 90's....so what's the point, really?

Do I really want to see two guys on stage that are really doing it "just to do it"? And do I really want to see two guys on stage that are well past their primes and not really into it? Especially since they'd be up there together....?

How about you? Would you still be excited to see a reunion at this point?

P.S.....don't get me wrong....I'd still be among the first people in line to get tickets to a reunion show.....just not nearly as excited as I would have been a few years ago. (Then again, who knows....if it were to happen, it could change my mind..... :shrugs: )

I'm thinking the same, then again if it really were to happen I'm sure I'd get enthusiastic about it, greatly helped along by an explosion of interest/enthusiasm on this forum

If I ever saw a reunion it'd make me a bit sick, it'd be so fucking fake and meaningless, we know how deep the division runs and why Axl chose the route he did, initially it made a lot of sense and was deranged but kinda noble, he really had a fire and believed in everything and it wasn't anywhere near perfect but it was damn intriguing. Obviously we see what he's chosen to keep hold of and not advance, no idea what happened, carrying the weight got too much even for him perhaps. The clamoring for a reunion at this point is redundant, the topic makes me feel like my good friend Sam Neill in said film 'Event Horizon'.

unpopular-event-horizon-sam-neill.jpg

Axl is now becoming what he despised of Slash, whoring out the name for cash. He could make a lot more money with a happy frolic pretending he gets on with Slash, he ain't in it for just the money. I'd think Slash harbours deep resentment to Axl still, he plays the media and chilled game about it all but there's two sides to everything. They had their time to work things out and they both went off on their own stuff feeding off the fuel in different ways. The reunion ship sailed aeons ago and it'd be a very nostalgic but pointless exercise, we know what we'd get and I cannot conceive an album they made would be that good. Different places they're in mentally, creatively and intensity. If Axl can't even record with guys he's trusted for years in a stable (and subordinate) way, god knows what he'd operate like, especially having what'd be a fucking loopy miracle of repression or bleaching his brain to get to a point of communication with the guy again let alone playing shit... someone said they were lightning in a bottle, a product of a corrosive snowglobe or summat I consider it, no chance recatching anything near that again, it'd disappoint everyone except the black/white reunion crusaders, who'd swap insanity with the Axl Is God, He Sounds Awesome In SA parade.

I'd rather Axl started releasing things, there's literally no point to a reunion after all that's transpired, it'd be very transparent. If Axl was only gonna release one record he might as well have stuck it out and nipped the issues in the bud before they bloomed into this gnarled tree we have now, or, he should've fucking gone solo, one album and an endless tour relying on the old stuff is not connoting that GNR is still a viable entity, a reunion is just a joke of a proposition when you consider the amount of venom frothing between the two main ingredients. There's no way in hell a reunion fixes the wound that will always leak when such components break apart for the good of something precious, whatever that means.

I wanted to see real Guns when I discovered the band. It was like "goddamn! they're so good but they're no longer together!". Then I remember buying the bootleg of Rio 2001 the day after it was broadcast and thinking the band was incredibly good. I was happy with that. Then I basically forgot that Guns existed and I think I did the right thing since Axl's band was inactive during years.

I could say I never really wanted a reunion but at this point I'm 100% against it. Slash is doing great with his solo project and I want to see more of that. Axl sounds terrible and his performance on stage has decreased heavily. There's no need to put those guys together again only to destroy the memories of how awesome they were 20 years ago. I have my bootlegs and whenever I want to see the real deal I only have to press 'play'.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

I'll always be down for a reunion, but I don't think about it anymore. Just for arguments sake though, if it were to happen any time in the near future, my ideal would be the band playing the instrumental versions of their songs while Axl stands next to Slash with a set of maracas doing the snake dance.

• Like 1

I don't care.... I just want a new album and that's it.... and I want Axl to do other things aside from music, for ex., writting a book because I think he writes like a pro and I'd love to see that too.

If a reunion ever happens, I hope it is for MAKING A GODDAMN ALBUM, not for just touring. I'm fed up with the touring. New album, new album, new album, bleeeeeeh

i don't think anyone would ever possibly expect the band to be as good as they were in their prime. that isn't really the point for most people. just look how many people went crazy when duff re-joined for a handful of gigs...look at how many pages the thread that was devoted to his first show back with the band went on for. seeing those guys back on stage again together playing those iconic songs -- even if it's just a one-off thing -- would give a lot of people the warm fuzzies. is it a selfish things for fans to desire to see that? i don't think so. it would only be selfish if they demanded it. some people do make demands, but i think others enjoy overstating the supposed negativity of desiring to see axl share a stage again one day with slash. doesn't make you a traitor or a hater of the new band. but at the same time, these guys aren't being given much fresh to do, and as fun as it may be to see them touring, at some point people are going to look to the past to the glory days if there's nothing new to focus on.

For all the things Axl has done wrong over the years the one thing he's made me not care about anymore is a reunion, which is kind of cool for me. He found a way to legitimize his new band in my eyes when they did RIR 2001.

Guys, it's been way too long now, and Axl is completely over that idea. If there was ever time it was going to happen it would've been in the last 5 years.

If there is another chapter left in the story of GN'R, I want it to be with the current lineup (preferrably Finck over Ashba). I can't believe I'm about to say this but Ashba is more 'modern' and could possibly write material that had a better chance of making GN'R somewhat relevant again.

It would be incredible if they came to terms and reunited. I don't think the magnitude of that moment will ever pass. It might be meaningless or look lifeless, but I have a feeling Axl would prove to be the great frontman he is and keep the show alive and energetic. I think his energy has always helped Guns and would be off the wall in a reunion setting.

Just have it take place in the Rose Bowl, and play for 3 hours. The show would be huge for Guns fans.

It's never too late if it's made well. Now, how to do it well?

exactly, it'll never be too late for a reunion but it has to be done properly.

before a reunion tour or a new album with the original band, axl must improve his voice, lose weight and get fit.

reunion could be awesome.

Plot twist: Slash and Axl have been staging all this hatred for 18 years to devise a plan to gather the AFD lineup+Matt (on his songs) and create the biggest reunion ever and bring in big bucks. Slash and Axl with both slim out, and Axl will retrain his voice and perform the fuck out of a sold out arena and release the thing on 4k blu ray

Damn...

As much as I loved the original band and albums, I'd never want a reunion for many reasons :

1- they don't get along and never will. What's the point in watching 2 guys doing as if they were friends to knowing that they try to stab each other behind the stage? That would ruin everything for me.

2- apart from 3/4 songs, I really don't like Slash's material. I like the 1st snakepit, 1 or 2 songs from his solo album, and that's it. I don't think he would bring anything I really like to the table.

3- Izzy would not do it, so it's pointless. Izzy has always been my favorite songwriter.

Sometimes I just hope they retire, so that the secret vault can be opened and they release every songs they did for the ChiDem sessions; That way, everything is over and Axl can chill in his pool and do a few guest apparitions on Baz or Izzy records.