SLASH featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators Tour 2014 / 2015

batman007

Will keep my review short as I am insanely busy at work today:

Venue/travel

My friend and I have never been to Jones Beach and we saw why. The drive was atrocious. I work in midtown Manhattan and live downtown. My friend works on Wall Street and lives in Jersey City. He drove his car into the city and parked near Wall Street. I met him down there and we left at 5pm. We did not walk into the theater until 7:20pm. Traffic was horrendous. I know that Long Island traffic is brutal in the summer, but this was God awful. My friend and I should have known when another Long Islander jokingly told us to leave at 12:30pm to get to the show. Even Steven Tyler commented on how awful the traffic. Jones Beach the venue, however, was incredible. Really cool place on the water and the weather was fantastic. The 7:30pm start time was a tough one to make which I think contributed to the lack of a crowd for Slash at the start of the show.

Slash

My friend and I were just getting our seats when Slash started playing. I got lucky and was on Slash's guest list through work and our tickets were pretty good. No chance in hell I would have paid face value for them. I was hoping for backstage passes, but I wasn't given any. Damn!

1. Ghost sounded fine, but like others I figured they'd open with something else.
  2. Nightrain was fun, but didn't really get the crowd going like I thought it would likely because of the early start time and people were still finding their seats and trying to get settled
  3. Back to Cali was good.
  4. I had my phone ready to record World On Fire since I knew chances were I'd be the first to record the song and I knew the hardcore GNR fans would be interested in hearing it live. After Back To Cali Myles announced that the next song was World on Fire so I started recording with my phone. It sounded good (not great). I admittedly am not a big fan of the song.
  5. Just as I was about to stop recording that familiar drum opening kicked in and they went straight into You Could Be Mine so I kept recording. I thought Myles sounded great on it and Slash was incredible. It was a solid rendition.
  6. Anastasia was awesome. God I love that song. Slash broke out the double-neck guitar and it sounded fantastic
  7. You're a Lie is another song that I don't 'love', but it sounded fine. Nothing really spectacular about it.
  8. When the rif for SCOM started the audience was more settled and was more into the show. I saw LOTS of cameras out for that one. I recorded it as well. Still my favorite Slash solo
  9. Slither was great. I was sitting in the Slash guest section and this got people in the section pretty pumped up. I always forget how much I like the song until I hear it again. My section was singing along with it.
  10. I love By the Sword, but I feel like it killed the momentum of Slither. I would have played BTS first then followed it up with Slither, but it was still a great listen. Slash and Myles sounded terrific as I feel they always do on the song.
  11. Paradise City closed the show and the audience in the lower levels (can't speak for the levels behind me) were very into the show at that point. I filmed PC also and you can see the difference in the audience from the start vs. the end. It was a lot of fun and got the audience ready for Aerosmith.

My Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG6Iafg8iqHVeTdXEkDAxWA

Aerosmith

I'll keep this brief. I had never seen Aerosmith live. I regret having skipped their shows after seeing them last night. Steven Tyler is a maniac and Joe Perry is a lot of fun to watch. Say what you will about their latest new music from the last 15 years or so (I don't like it either), but I would never label these guys sell outs. They put on a great show. I went into it with low expectations and they far exceeded them. Highlight for me was Kings and Queens. That is the one 'deep' track by them that I really dig. It sounded awesome. Slash not joining them onstage was a surprise I will admit. I kept waiting for it to happen, but it never did. Oh well, it was still a great performance and a great evening.

then he omitted the end scream which is a crime...

Then if he did it and it didn't sound good it'd be a variety of comments like "only Axl should do that" or "he's not Axl" (duh) or "why is he trying to be like Axl," etc, etc. he just cant win. Myles is Myles he's not trying to sound like Axl. He's doing the songs his way and if they happen to bear some resemblance to Myles then so be it. Obviously one of the things he's doing different is NOT doing the ycbm scream. Good for him. If he doesn't feel like it's right for him to do then he shouldn't. Maybe to him that's something distinctly Axl and he's not trying to do it out of respect for Axl? Or maybe while he's still getting the song under his belt he's leaving that out? Don't know why, but he's doing it the way he feels comfortable. It sounded phenomenal on Wednesday IMHO.

• Like 2

Then if he did it and it didn't sound good it'd be a variety of comments like "only Axl should do that" or "he's not Axl" (duh) or "why is he trying to be like Axl," etc, etc. he just cant win. Myles is Myles he's not trying to sound like Axl. He's doing the songs his way and if they happen to bear some resemblance to Myles then so be it. Obviously one of the things he's doing different is NOT doing the ycbm scream. Good for him. If he doesn't feel like it's right for him to do then he shouldn't. Maybe to him that's something distinctly Axl and he's not trying to do it out of respect for Axl? Or maybe while he's still getting the song under his belt he's leaving that out? Don't know why, but he's doing it the way he feels comfortable. It sounded phenomenal on Wednesday IMHO.

Thats about my thoughts on it as well. I've noticed that with all the GNR songs they've ever done. Myles sings what he has to, but he does not get fancy with them or try to imitate Axl, which I think he is 100% correct NOT to do. I'm sure he's comfortable singing those songs now that its been a few years, but I still think he takes them with ease and does not add his own flairs to them. 1, because they don't really need it. 2, because he'd get criticized if he did them poorly. Axl's "flairs" are pretty iconic. Where he screams, when he curses, "spin me 'round" in Paradise City. Myles has always done best with those songs when singing them well and however he feels comfortable without trying to say he's better than Axl. Look at the Rock Hall Of Fame for proof. He knows where to tread with those songs and where to just take a back seat to avoid inevitable criticism.

Wifi kicked in.... here is video #1:

World On Fire & You Could Be Mine

Other videos will be uploaded tomorrow

Thanks

WOF sounds better live

YCBM sounds OK, i like Slash tone, but Myles at the fast part looses big time, then he omitted the end scream which is a crime...

They fiucking nailed the song and Myles will get better at that middle spoken part just like he did with Civil War. He is just learning the shit.. As for the cheesy scream thing at the end, I think what he did was perfect. Do we really want him to do that? I think he was spot on, let the crowd to it iof they want.

The band fucking nailed it.. Pretty funny all the people saying that they shouldn't do it. It ended up sounding better than the current Guns doing it.. The vocals and the band. I was actually shocked how good Myles sounded on last nights clip.

Will keep my review short as I am insanely busy at work today:

Venue/travel

My friend and I have never been to Jones Beach and we saw why. The drive was atrocious. I work in midtown Manhattan and live downtown. My friend works on Wall Street and lives in Jersey City. He drove his car into the city and parked near Wall Street. I met him down there and we left at 5pm. We did not walk into the theater until 7:20pm. Traffic was horrendous. I know that Long Island traffic is brutal in the summer, but this was God awful. My friend and I should have known when another Long Islander jokingly told us to leave at 12:30pm to get to the show. Even Steven Tyler commented on how awful the traffic. Jones Beach the venue, however, was incredible. Really cool place on the water and the weather was fantastic. The 7:30pm start time was a tough one to make which I think contributed to the lack of a crowd for Slash at the start of the show.

Slash

My friend and I were just getting our seats when Slash started playing. I got lucky and was on Slash's guest list through work and our tickets were pretty good. No chance in hell I would have paid face value for them. I was hoping for backstage passes, but I wasn't given any. Damn!

1. Ghost sounded fine, but like others I figured they'd open with something else.
  2. Nightrain was fun, but didn't really get the crowd going like I thought it would likely because of the early start time and people were still finding their seats and trying to get settled
  3. Back to Cali was good.
  4. I had my phone ready to record World On Fire since I knew chances were I'd be the first to record the song and I knew the hardcore GNR fans would be interested in hearing it live. After Back To Cali Myles announced that the next song was World on Fire so I started recording with my phone. It sounded good (not great). I admittedly am not a big fan of the song.
  5. Just as I was about to stop recording that familiar drum opening kicked in and they went straight into You Could Be Mine so I kept recording. I thought Myles sounded great on it and Slash was incredible. It was a solid rendition.
  6. Anastasia was awesome. God I love that song. Slash broke out the double-neck guitar and it sounded fantastic
  7. You're a Lie is another song that I don't 'love', but it sounded fine. Nothing really spectacular about it.
  8. When the rif for SCOM started the audience was more settled and was more into the show. I saw LOTS of cameras out for that one. I recorded it as well. Still my favorite Slash solo
  9. Slither was great. I was sitting in the Slash guest section and this got people in the section pretty pumped up. I always forget how much I like the song until I hear it again. My section was singing along with it.
  10. I love By the Sword, but I feel like it killed the momentum of Slither. I would have played BTS first then followed it up with Slither, but it was still a great listen. Slash and Myles sounded terrific as I feel they always do on the song.
  11. Paradise City closed the show and the audience in the lower levels (can't speak for the levels behind me) were very into the show at that point. I filmed PC also and you can see the difference in the audience from the start vs. the end. It was a lot of fun and got the audience ready for Aerosmith.

My Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG6Iafg8iqHVeTdXEkDAxWA

Aerosmith

I'll keep this brief. I had never seen Aerosmith live. I regret having skipped their shows after seeing them last night. Steven Tyler is a maniac and Joe Perry is a lot of fun to watch. Say what you will about their latest new music from the last 15 years or so (I don't like it either), but I would never label these guys sell outs. They put on a great show. I went into it with low expectations and they far exceeded them. Highlight for me was Kings and Queens. That is the one 'deep' track by them that I really dig. It sounded awesome. Slash not joining them onstage was a surprise I will admit. I kept waiting for it to happen, but it never did. Oh well, it was still a great performance and a great evening.

Glad you liked Aerosmith.. When they play a setlist like you saw the shows kick ass. When they lean on the newer stuff it sucks.. I am hoping to hear Chip Away At The Stone and Kings and Queens on Weds!! You lucky bastard.

Who cares he's not Axl? of course he wil NEVER be good as Axl in his prime. Everyone knows that. But that end scream is a PART of that song. Shouldn't be omitted

Wifi kicked in.... here is video #1:

World On Fire & You Could Be Mine

Other videos will be uploaded tomorrow

Thanks

WOF sounds better live

YCBM sounds OK, i like Slash tone, but Myles at the fast part looses big time, then he omitted the end scream which is a crime...

They fiucking nailed the song and Myles will get better at that middle spoken part just like he did with Civil War. He is just learning the shit.. As for the cheesy scream thing at the end, I think what he did was perfect. Do we really want him to do that? I think he was spot on, let the crowd to it iof they want.

The band fucking nailed it.. Pretty funny all the people saying that they shouldn't do it. It ended up sounding better than the current Guns doing it.. The vocals and the band. I was actually shocked how good Myles sounded on last nights clip.

I really can't believe my eyes that i just read people DON'T want that end scream. It's not an Axl thing, it'"s part of the song. Every singer who covered YCBM do that scream.

It's really hard to understand?

fucking lol at this forum sometimes

But i agree this band capable of doingt it right the songs instrumentally this performance is much better than ANY nuGNR performance. The 3 guitars killed this song on live shows, imo

Funny how everybody here almost commit suicide when listening to Ashba play Slash songs, but they try to justify this Miles Boring Crap by saying he is "still learning" YCBM. :rofl-lol:

Horrible singing, horrible performing, I see no difference between his butchering and Fergie's one.

DEATH.

Edited by tinyrobot
  • Like 2

Funny how everybody here almost commit suicide when listening to Ashba play Slash songs, but they try to justify this Miles Boring Crap by saying he is "still learning" YCBM. :rofl-lol:

Horrible singing, horrible performing, I see no difference between his butchering and Fergie's one.

DEATH.

Haha wow. I think the honest to God difference is that Myles is a humble guy who isn't a petulant child like DJ. He knows he isn't Axl and doesn't try to be, unlike a certain some one who tries to be Slash and just isn't. Myles is thankful for the opportunities he has been given while DJ posts every GNR album in the 'music' section of his website like he has been there all along.

Here is the complete set list:

Ghost

Nightrain

Back to Cali

World on Fire

You Could Be Mine

Anastasia

You're a Lie

Sweet Child O Mine

Slither

By the Sword

Paradise City

That's a pretty solid set list for an opening act. I would thoroughly enjoy that before a main act. Really wish I got tix for this here in Boston. Scalpers know they can charge gold for Aerosmith here too. Regret that one.

DEATH.

Haha wow. I think the honest to God difference is that Myles is a humble guy who isn't a petulant child like DJ. He knows he isn't Axl and doesn't try to be, unlike a certain some one who tries to be Slash and just isn't. Myles is thankful for the opportunities he has been given while DJ posts every GNR album in the 'music' section of his website like he has been there all along.

So what? I'm not talking about their personalities but their performances! O_o

Ashba acts like an asshole and plays bad guitar......................and?........................ Myles is humble, knows he ain't no Axl but he still butch GN'R songs being dull, boring and colorless. He makes me want to sleeZzzzz....

I didnt know about this trend of forgiving artists flaws based on behavior. Please leave me out.

DEATH.

So what? I'm not talking about their personalities but their performances! O_o

Ashba acts like an asshole and plays bad guitar......................and?........................ Myles is humble, knows he ain't no Axl but he still butch GN'R songs being dull, boring and colorless. He makes me want to sleeZzzzz....

I didnt know about this trend of forgiving artists flaws based on behavior. Please leave me out.

Slash tour thread *cough* k, thanks.

• Like 1