Reminiscing the old days of *new* G N’R .. the Leaks Era..

I played Chinese Democracy today for the 1st time in years. Not the official release, but the 2008 naughty boy, Skwerl leak version. I still have the CD I burnt out, and *that* cover. Some view the mixes as better than the official release. For example, one of the tracks hasn’t got that extra tacked on bit at the end ‘..in side of you’

ChineseDemocracy-TheSkwerlLeak_zps9138da

Nearly 7 years have passed since all this. I got to thinking back, to us the ‘Downloader’s’ hehe.. The snippets that were coming out, every week, or so it seemed.

Then I found this tucked behind the Skwerl Lies inspired cover. Anyone remember this girl? She got her 15 minutes of fame, all thanks to this fake cover, ha-ha..

ChineseDemocracy-15MinutesofFame_zps3fef

I'll never forget that night of the skwerl leak.

I was just hangin on this forum at the time when some guy pops up with a new account asking how he might be able to burn some new guns tracks to a CD.

Of course he was met with the usual BS chants, and then, he must have linked someone to the stream that skwerl had posted.

That member then posted on here "IT'S LEGIT!!!"

And then BOOM, the shitstorm occurred.

I know the band hates leaks but that was a pretty exciting moment, just getting new guns tunes with no prior warning

Edited by gavgnr

Which is the "in side of you" bit you mention?

Street of Dreams

Thought that was what you meant, just always thought it was saying something else.

AAAAWAUAAAAAAWAUAAAAAA

What'd I tell you?

AAAAWAUAAAAAAWAUAAAAAA

That's what I'd tell you

AAAAWAUAAAAAAWAUAAAAAA

AAAAWAAUall the times with yooooooooooooo....oooooooouooouoooouu

Though I'll be the first to admit I've probably just heard it wrong all this time. Lots of those ambiguous lyrics on that album, especially since the ones in the booklet can't be trusted.

Kind of prefer the ending with it to the one without, though. "What I'd tell you?" at least is something I wish he sung in the live versions.

Fuck, I miss that time. That was the last time I was genuinely excited about this band, when the leaks were happening and CD was actually on the verge of coming out. And all it would take to do that again is more new music, too.

The same hear. The never knowing and always wondering. Expecting much, maybe too much.

I think the 6 or 10 second clip of Better (Axl singing in a high pitch) was the 1st leak I got to hear. Was it fake was it real? ..it turned out to be real. The question of who leaked the original clips that lasted second's has never been revealed. Who could it have been?

^ I think the first Better leak was like 15 seconds, then we got 1:25 or so, then half the song, then eventually the whole thing :lol:

Hearing Prositute for the first time was amazing. Hearing a *brand new* song, realizing it was the November Rain intro, debating whether it was actually Prostitute or not (at the time, I was sure it wasn't :lol:), it was exciting. If The World was cool but easily my least favorite of the "new 3" skwerl leaks. I'd always said a studio Riad would be killer, and when I heard the demo I was right. It's way better than the final version.

I remember Better leaking in 2006 (slowly, first part of the song first, then half of it, then the whole thing). Twat leaked in that year too, but Better leaked around my birthday. I got STP's No 4 album, but spent the whole day listening to Better. Man, those were the days. I was sure new Gn'R was going places! I was beyond excited.

I'm happy we got ChiDem eventually. I still absolutely LOVE it. But it's a bummer that's the only album by new (or new-new) Guns.

Oh, and the 2008 leaks were cool too. They didn't get me as excited, but it was still pretty amazing. I have never liked any version of Rhiad (the riff is cool, but that's about it), but If the World and Prostitute were, and still are, great.

Edited by jekylhyde

The first time the studio versions of Chinese and SOD (The Blues) leaked was insane, I remember coming on the forums and seeing people freak out and it was cool to just randomly get studio cuts of songs we only knew as live versions.

It was really exiting when If The World, Prostitute, and Riad leaked too, man those were cool times. Definitely more exiting than the actual album release, that's for sure.

• Like 2

It was really exiting when If The World, Prostitute, and Riad leaked too, man those were cool times. Definitely more exiting than the actual album release, that's for sure.

Agreed, unfortunately. I think a lot of that has to do with only getting 3 unheard songs once the album finally dropped though. I've always believed the leaks are the reason we got the album we got.

Agreed, unfortunately. I think a lot of that has to do with only getting 3 unheard songs once the album finally dropped though. I've always believed the leaks are the reason we got the album we got.

Yeah I believe that too, I have always wondered what the album would have been like without the leaks. I also have the theory that this is why Axl didn't promote CD heavily when it came out, maybe he wasn't happy with the final song choices on the album kind of being forced into place by the leaks?

Edited by WhazUp

Yeah I believe that too, I have always wondered what the album would have been like without the leaks. I also have the theory that this is why Axl didn't promote CD heavily when it came out, maybe he wasn't happy with the final song choices on the album kind of being forced into place by the leaks?

I think Axl going AWOL was a combination of that, the artwork, promo, touring, the whole thing really.

Without the leaks, it's interesting to think what could've happened. I think the album might've come out around the same time but without the 2006 tour having happened (the leaks pretty much caused the tour). If that had happened, with the whole 'mythology' thing still around Axl instead of the huge drop in momentum that was the gap between touring - album release, who knows? Maybe the shit he said in 2002 would've worked out and we'd have a trilogy by now, or more.

08.26.02 - London Arena, London, England

opening act: Weezer

attendance: 12,500

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo [Robin], Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Piano Solo, November Rain, The Blues, Acoustic Guitar Solo [buckethead], Rocket Queen, Patience, My Michelle, Nightrain

encore: Guitar Solo [Robin], Paradise City

audio/video recording?: audio, video [incomplete]

notes: During 'Welcome To The Jungle,' someone tries to throw a KFC bucket onstage to Axl. Security throws the bucket back towards the crowd. Axl sees this and says, "Throw me that... hey!" Security then tosses the bucket on stage and Axl wears it for a little while. After 'Mr. Brownstone,' Axl says to the crowd, "How you doin? I'm doin' pretty good, thanks for asking. It's good to be here in lively old England. See you didn't even think I knew where I was! Um... I want to uh... I wanna say that I learned that I'm as big as a house! So I think I... I'm owed some rent money! I think that there’s a little pussy-ass writer over at NME that owes me some rent money... for livin' inside my ass! Uh, just... just playin' around. This is 'Live And Let Die!'" Before 'Think About You,' Axl asks, "You motherfuckers hot? OK now you're really hot, right? And you don't like ice in your soda? What's that about?!" After 'Sweet Child O' Mine,' Axl sees a sign in the crowd and asks, "Nick, there’s some guys here with a sign here that says 'Greece Loves You.' Sorry that's an inside - Nick's from Greece." Prior to 'Out Ta Get Me,' Axl says, "I'd also like to uh, to thank NME for helping us start things off on such a good note with a little piece called the 'Kings Of Hong Kong.' That was really nice, thank you." After 'Chinese Democracy,' Axl says, "Now, there's been some concern... that if we play 5 or 6 new songs, then there can't that many more on the album. Au contraire mon frère! We're just playin' the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So you'll get 18 songs and about 10 extra tracks. And when that... when the record company feels that has run [it's] source, then you'll get it all over again. And by that time, I should be done with the 3rd album! So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls! And if Uncle Axl proves not to be an asshole - we'll have to see, the jury's still out." He then turns to Tommy and asks, "Wait, was that a rant? Does that qualify as a rant or was that just nonsense? It was under 5? OK, it's... it doesn't qualify, wasn't long enough!" Before 'The Blues,' Axl jokes, "What's that smell? Did I shit my pants? What the fuck! I think I... I think I shit my riches! Uh, we're gonna keep the piano out. Bring down... Mr. Dizzy Reed. Mr. Dizzy Reed, please report to the black courtesy piano. Please report to the black courtesy piano, Mr. Dizzy Reed!" At the end of 'Paradise City,' Axl screams, "God save the Queen!" After he just drops his microphone in place, instead of hurling it into the crowd.

^ I think the first Better leak was like 15 seconds, then we got 1:25 or so, then half the song, then eventually the whole thing :lol:

Hearing Prositute for the first time was amazing. Hearing a *brand new* song, realizing it was the November Rain intro, debating whether it was actually Prostitute or not (at the time, I was sure it wasn't :lol:), it was exciting. If The World was cool but easily my least favorite of the "new 3" skwerl leaks. I'd always said a studio Riad would be killer, and when I heard the demo I was right. It's way better than the final version.

What do you call the Antiquiet leaks demos?

Open question to anyone who does it, I just quoted Rick's post since it was there.

The Antiquiet leaks are fully finished mixed mastered produced songs, and are what would have been on CD if frank and bbf didn't do anything to it. To me, calling that a demo is odd, and I'm curious why its dome

Open question to anyone who does it, I just quoted Rick's post since it was there.

The Antiquiet leaks are fully finished mixed mastered produced songs, and are what would have been on CD if frank and bbf didn't do anything to it. To me, calling that a demo is odd, and I'm curious why its dome

With Riad it's easier to just say 'demo' because there's only the 2 versions, I guess the same goes for Prostitute and ITW but really I call them the 'antiquiet leaks'. They were at one point probably "finished" songs but since they were added to, those versions kind of become demo's, don't they? Or are they just "alternate mixes". Does it really matter?

It don't really matta.....

ï

Definitely better than the final release... Franks additions were pointless and Bbf's, although interesting, again didn't add much. Particularly on catcher.

ï

Definitely better than the final release... Franks additions were pointless and Bbf's, although interesting, again didn't add much. Particularly on catcher.

The whole mix on Catcher got fucked. I like BBF's solo, honestly while I like Brian May and think his tone fits the song better the solo we've heard didn't really do much for me, I would've like to hear him play something like that properly but it really does sound 'cut and paste-y'.

I forget how I stumbled on them but I do remember having to work hard to get Catcher In The Rye, which was usually "Born To Run" :lol:

06 was such an exciting time, the leaks plus downloads of shows like RAR had me in really falling in love with GNR again.

I also remember having a different version of Better at some point too, and I swear I the "Skwerl Leak" version of Chinese Democracy (the song) was floating around for ages before the antiquiet thing.

edit: I can't stand the album versions.

Edited by DR DOOM

I got sent the tracks over MSN by a GN'R fan who isn't even alive anymore :(. I started the main thread on the topic, think it became by far the biggest topic I've ever created, my PM inbox was full within minutes... What a crazy time. There was still something electric about the band in those days.

With Riad it's easier to just say 'demo' because there's only the 2 versions, I guess the same goes for Prostitute and ITW but really I call them the 'antiquiet leaks'. They were at one point probably "finished" songs but since they were added to, those versions kind of become demo's, don't they? Or are they just "alternate mixes". Does it really matter?

It don't really matta.....
I'd say alternate mix more so than demo. Thanks for your answer man, I was curious as to why I've seen them referred to as that.

ï

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. BF and Frank not being on the leaks. I guess Sorry and This I Love were the last to be finished, as Kevin never had or never leaked those 2 songs.

I had a very short leaked version of Catcher feat. Brain May. Today I found this, that claims to be the full track with Brain May ?

Edited by star