Bumblefoot Reveals Why He Left Guns N' Roses

Yet another similarity between the GN'R & Floyd break-ups; the "Who deserves to perform which songs" debate.

Seems like a pretty obvious answer, no? If you were in the band, you can play the songs. The more you had to do with the songs, the more sense it makes. If you rely on the songs, fine, but don't pretend you're leaving the past behind.

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

Ron is the vinegar and Fortus is the chili pepper.

Yet another similarity between the GN'R & Floyd break-ups; the "Who deserves to perform which songs" debate.

Seems like a pretty obvious answer, no? If you were in the band, you can play the songs. The more you had to do with the songs, the more sense it makes. If you rely on the songs, fine, but don't pretend you're leaving the past behind.
Axl never said he was leaving the past behind?

I wouldn't put Floyd on GNR's level. Waters was far more integral than any of the ex GNR members. Axl was much more the creative matermind and visionary than Gilmour ever was. Floyd's central creative hub rotated and mutated in terms of the driving active entities.

I wouldn't put Floyd on GNR's level. Waters was far more integral than any of the ex GNR members. Axl was much more the creative matermind and visionary than Gilmour ever was. Floyd's central creative hub rotated and mutated in terms of the driving active entities.

Disagree

Floyd had one member leave, GNR had 4

Disagree

I see what The Dude is saying though. My point was that with both bands people tend to end up arguing who has "the right" to perform certain songs.

Compare WYWH to The Wall. While Roger still had the majority of input on all that material, some people took more offense to Gilmour performing material from The Wall. The reasoning was usually that even though Roger wrote all of it, the material on WYWH was more about the group as whole instead of specifically about Rogers life.

Disagree

I see what The Dude is saying though. My point was that with both bands people tend to end up arguing who has "the right" to perform certain songs.

Compare WYWH to The Wall. While Roger still had the majority of input on all that material, some people took more offense to Gilmour performing material from The Wall. The reasoning was usually that even though Roger wrote all of it, the material on WYWH was more about the group as whole instead of specifically about Rogers life.

Oh I see

My opinion is, if you helped make it, you can play it

• Like 2

Evidenced by all the hits the band had after those ex members left? :lol:

• Like 4

I'm confused as to why people think a comment about leaving the past behind should be attached to playing songs that HE helped write and create?

Leaving the past behind means he wants to stop talking about the past in every interview, that he doesn't want to talk about Axl or 1987 in every interview. He doesn't want to feed a one-man feud. While promoting a new album and tour in 2015, he doesn't want to spend half his interview talking about Axl Rose or what GnR did in 1991.

It doesn't mean he is going to stop playing songs that he helped create.

What a load of shite. For a start, Gilmour gets four songwriting credits (from ten songs) on Dark Side. Some of Floyd's greatest songs were penned by Gilmour, e.g. Comfortably Numb.

Disagree

No offense to anybody, but isn't that an idiotic argument though?

People aren't complaining that Axl plays Live and Let Die or Heaven's Door - two songs he didn't write. So why complain about Slash playing songs he helped write?

People get so caught up in the jr high girl drama crap that sometimes they lose site that it is just music we are talking about. When I go to a rock show, I want to hear music. If GnR tours in 2016 and Axl busts out a Led Zep or sings Stand By Me at the show I'm at, I'm gonna be stoked and thrilled to hear it. I'm not going to immediately jump on social media and bitch that Axl played a song he didn't write.

A band holds a show to give their audience a couple hours of music entertainment. As long as they play their "staples" - let them play whatever they want. New songs, old songs, cover songs, etc.

I get what you said but it just bugged me that bumble had all the 'I'm done with GNR and doesn't want anything to do with them' then he plays jungle and YCBM, which he has nothing to do with , cover shacklers n whatever he did on CD, leave the original guns meterial to GnR or slash's band

• Like 1

Disagree

People aren't complaining that Axl plays Live and Let Die or Heaven's Door - two songs he didn't write. So why complain about Slash playing songs he helped write?

People get so caught up in the jr high girl drama crap that sometimes they lose site that it is just music we are talking about. When I go to a rock show, I want to hear music. If GnR tours in 2016 and Axl busts out a Led Zep or sings Stand By Me at the show I'm at, I'm gonna be stoked and thrilled to hear it. I'm not going to immediately jump on social media and bitch that Axl played a song he didn't write.

A band holds a show to give their audience a couple hours of music entertainment. As long as they play their "staples" - let them play whatever they want. New songs, old songs, cover songs, etc.

It's not my argument my friend, but I've seen it over and over throughout the years with both GN'R and Floyd. I always thought certain aspects of the Floyd arugment but I never understood any aspect of GN'R argument.

• Like 1

Disagree

It's not my argument my friend, but I've seen it over and over throughout the years with both GN'R and Floyd. I always thought certain aspects of the Floyd arugment but I never understood any aspect of GN'R argument.

Oh I know - I was just quoting your last post as you addressed it a bit and you are one of the more rational thinking posters on this forum.

Another point - if I'm at a show for any band, whether it's a local band or a national band and they bust out a cover of a cool song, I never go "Dammit, they didn't write that song so they shouldn't play it." If KOC or Daisies or BBF busts out Civil War - more power to them. Music is supposed to be shared - not nit-picked to death.

Kind of like LA Guns or Great White. There have been two versions of those bands out touring at the same time. I want to hear Sex Action regardless of what band it is, and I want to hear Rock Me or Save All Your Love regardless of which version it is.

• Like 2

Disagree

Oh I know - I was just quoting your last post as you addressed it a bit and you are one of the more rational thinking posters on this forum.

Another point - if I'm at a show for any band, whether it's a local band or a national band and they bust out a cover of a cool song, I never go "Dammit, they didn't write that song so they shouldn't play it." If KOC or Daisies or BBF busts out Civil War - more power to them. Music is supposed to be shared - not nit-picked to death.

Kind of like LA Guns or Great White. There have been two versions of those bands out touring at the same time. I want to hear Sex Action regardless of what band it is, and I want to hear Rock Me or Save All Your Love regardless of which version it is.

Daimn, now I have to hear Rock Me again!

The ultimate line up to play a CD show.

Axl, Brain, Frank, Tommy, Dizzy, Pitman, Tobias, Finck, Fortus, Bucket, Bumble.

One show to rule the world.

Ditch Frank & Tobias and I'm on board.

Axl, josh freeze, dizzy, tommy, Fortus & finck / DJ

I'm confused as to why people think a comment about leaving the past behind should be attached to playing songs that HE helped write and create?

Leaving the past behind means he wants to stop talking about the past in every interview, that he doesn't want to talk about Axl or 1987 in every interview. He doesn't want to feed a one-man feud. While promoting a new album and tour in 2015, he doesn't want to spend half his interview talking about Axl Rose or what GnR did in 1991.

It doesn't mean he is going to stop playing songs that he helped create.

He doesn't talk much. But when CD was released a did few interviews and addressed a few issues he felt were important. Fans asked those questions.

I guess the past is part of present the future is well out of hand. When's the next one 20 years later? Well you know I lost confidence because my friends told me I sucked. So I think I'm back so not as long as 20 years.

Fans: stop living in the past!

Well then don't ask me questions about it.

People ask Slash and Duff about the reunion all the time, but they aren't living in the past.

Everything is happening right now.

Axl, josh freeze, dizzy, tommy, Fortus & finck / DJ

Needs more Bucket.

What a load of shite. For a start, Gilmour gets four songwriting credits (from ten songs) on Dark Side. Some of Floyd's greatest songs were penned by Gilmour, e.g. Comfortably Numb.

Well yeah, but I'm just basically saying that Axl was more integral to GNR than Gilmour is/was to Floyd and that Waters had far more import to Floyd than any one of the ex Gunners did to GNR.

I think Tobias should be part of any potential reunion. Perhaps that is the one ultimate gesture Slash can do in order to mend fences. Personally I really enjoyed the brief time that Slash and Huge were a team. That would also help bring in the 1996-2001 fan contigent as well.

But how much did Axl bring to AFD/UYI?

I know the lyrics break down but then musically I'm only sure he wrote Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Shotgun.

I just wonder how much the lyrics/vocal melodies shape the songs.

Axl didn't write the AFD music as I understand it.

Then on UYI he was gives completed songs to sing on and write lyrics to. Especially in the Slash/ Rose compositions where it was Slash music like Coma or Locomotive.

Then there's Izzy songs Axl sang etc.

But how much did Axl bring to AFD/UYI?

I know the lyrics break down but then musically I'm only sure he wrote Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Shotgun.

I just wonder how much the lyrics/vocal melodies shape the songs.

Axl didn't write the AFD music as I understand it.

Then on UYI he was gives completed songs to sing on and write lyrics to. Especially in the Slash/ Rose compositions where it was Slash music like Coma or Locomotive.

Then there's Izzy songs Axl sang etc.

I believe Rocket Queen was A Slash idea and Axl had an idea for the chorus I believe, so they kinda made the two ideas fit together.

His musical contributions were probably minimal compared to what Izzy, Slash, and Duff brought to the table musically.

For the Illusions it was a different thing. Not unified vision, Axl made music that better incorporated his vision and influences.

Edited by Rovim

But what did that amount to, the above songs?

Back off Bitch is a Rose song? He wrote the riff?

CD is similar, each song is actually written by some else with Axl add lyrics vocals.

Even SOD is Dizzy piano.

TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, TIL, Prostitute seem like they are Rose. Like he wrote the riff to TWAT, Catcher seems like it's written on piano, maybe Prostitute too, the horn on Madagascar is Axl, TIL is solo Rose credit.

Chi dem - Freese riff

Shacklers - Bucket riff

Better - Finck riff

SOD - Dizzy, Finck, Tommy, I find it hard to believe its not an Axl song

Scraped - Bucket

Sorry - Bucket

Riad - Tommy

IRS - Tobias

I guess the songs come into existence when one of Axls lyrics and vocals fit a song idea.

Some of the best songs are Axl songs but he also got good performances out of Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.