The 5 Greatest Voices in the History of Rock Music

I would not even include Axl in a top 20 to be honest. His discography is minuscule. Little Richard surely wins any list of this description, hands down. Elvis will be up there. Nobody is going to moan if Elvis clinches it. And where are the bloody Beatles? Lennon surely would make a top 5, if not Paul also. What a disgrace of a list.

What an insult. What a crime against Little Richard and Elvis. There should be an UN resolution against these sort of lopsided lists.

Roy Orbison is the best.

Would not get many complaints from me.

Wow that list was uh, interesting. Unfortunately, "Rock Singer" is a term that is very broad in definition. Some of the best rock singers could barely sing, and some of the best pure singers just sucked at being a rock singer.

However, any of these least that don't have Plant and Mercury at the start is simply wrong. I think Axl does crack top 5 because while he doesn't have longevity, he basically hits every other mark to being a great rock singer. Technically outstanding range, recognizable timbre, quality of his output was high, for a solid 5 year run, no one could touch him. His peak (popularity/talent/artistic) was higher than anyone else's in that span other than maybe Mercury. The biggest cut against him was how short lived it was. Honestly you're reaching if you put many people above Axl.

This kind of lists about music are beyond stupid.

That said, this one is fucking hilarious. I love AC/DC and Guns but to put Johnson and Rose higher than Mercury? Sure. Bon Scott was miles better than Johnson as a singer, and he isn't remotely near the top 50 voices in rock.

• Like 1

This list is atrocious. [insert personal favourite] was much better than [insert anyone on the list]!

Exactly.

Everybody's top five is different.

Silly to bash people's personal preference.

Yes but Little Richard is top.

PS

Just realised that could be a gay double entendre, especially when said in my best Kenneth Williams impression.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

This list is atrocious. [insert personal favourite] was much better than [insert anyone on the list]!

Exactly.

I guess the problem is that these things are presented as like fact, not like MY favourites, otherwise no one would care, who gives a shit about other peoples preferences really? No one, these are presented as some kinda list, by virtue of being a publishing entity in the field of music the inference is that they are an authority of some kind, like ROLLING STONES TOP 100, the idea that gives it weight (supposedly) is that it's Rolling Stone and music is their game.

Besides, me and you both know Sam Cooke pisses over anyone in that list and anyone that everyone else in this thread has mentioned :D That boy has me singin' songs to Jesus like 'THEEEERE WAS A WOMAN, IN THE BIIIIIIIIBLE DAYS, SHE HAD BEEN SICK, SICK SO VERY LOOOONG' :lol:

Exactly.

PS

Just realised that could be a gay double entendre, especially when said in my best Kenneth Williams impression.

*slaps his shoulder with a limp wrist* ooh, stop messin' about! :D

Edited by Len B'stard

Exactly.

I guess the problem is that these things are presented as like fact, not like MY favourites, otherwise no one would care, who gives a shit about other peoples preferences really? No one, these are presented as some kinda list, by virtue of being a publishing entity in the field of music the inference is that they are an authority of some kind, like ROLLING STONES TOP 100, the idea that gives it weight (supposedly) is that it's Rolling Stone and music is their game.

Besides, me and you both know Sam Cooke pisses over anyone in that list and anyone that everyone else in this thread has mentioned :D That boy has me singin' songs to Jesus like 'THEEEERE WAS A WOMAN, IN THE BIIIIIIIIBLE DAYS, SHE HAD BEEN SICK, SICK SO VERY LOOOONG' :lol:

Exactly.

PS

*slaps his shoulder with a limp wrist* ooh, stop messin' about! :D

Believe it or not, I was listening to Sam Cooke as I read your response.

Exactly.

I guess the problem is that these things are presented as like fact, not like MY favourites

But you KNOW they are just someone's opinions, the writer of the article or the news desk or whatever, it is not an official list :D

Exactly.

I guess the problem is that these things are presented as like fact, not like MY favourites
But you KNOW they are just someone's opinions, the writer of the article or the news desk or whatever, it is not an official list :D

Exactly.

I would not even include Axl in a top 20 to be honest. His discography is minuscule. Little Richard surely wins any list of this description, hands down. Elvis will be up there. Nobody is going to moan if Elvis clinches it. And where are the bloody Beatles? Lennon surely would make a top 5, if not Paul also. What a disgrace of a list.

What an insult. What a crime against Little Richard and Elvis. There should be an UN resolution against these sort of lopsided lists.

Roy Orbison is the best.

Would not get many complaints from me.

I'm not sure if you are getting the concept. It's about voice, so saying you wouldn't put Axl in the top 20 because he only has 6 albums is like saying the Henessey Venom GT isn't the fasted car in the world because they only made a few(It was in 2014, I'm sure it's beaten by now, but you get the point.) Clearly, using your logic, the Ford F-150 is faster because there are far more produced and sold every year. Flawless logic, bravo.

Axl was and will always be the most unique and best voice in rock for me, I understand it's a matter of taste, but play "It taste good don't it" (the one where he talks about blowing out his voice and goes insane at the end, not the Japan one) and I think anyone who is a fan of hard rock or metal could rightfully laugh in your face if you don't give him props for that. If you made a list of people not possessed by the devil that could make that sound alive in the world in the past 25 years, it would be a short list. Anyone who doesn't rank him in the top 10 is butthurt over something, never heard him, or is a One Direction Lady GaGa type.

On a side not, the guy who wrote it is a jackass, Not quite sure how Brian Johnson showcased his voice on Highway to Hell, but wtf ever.