The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

I started visiting myGNRForum right after the Madison Square Garden show in 2002 which absolutely transformed me. I saw GNR original lineup twice on the Illusions tours (MSG 91 and Giants Stadium with Metallica), and I was as disappointed as anyone when Slash and Duff quit in 1995, but I moved on pretty much.

In 2002 I went to the garden with little expectation and was COMPLETELY FLOORED, only to find out about him not showing up in Philly the next day, followed by 4 years of silence, then HAMMERSTEIN, then more silence, then CD, then lots of shows since then. Here is the Ritz review I wrote a few years ago....

http://www.glidemagazine.com/77488/review-guns-n-roses-webster-hall/

I dont want my expectations to be too high for this coming tour because I frankly LOVED NUGNR, and I'll miss seeing Axl deliver in the smaller venues, but YES this is going to be AMAZING!!!!!

Holy shit.. Just caught up with everything over the past couple days while ive been on vacation. Crazy to think Axl will be live on our TV sets in less then a week.

I dont know who is going to be apart of the lineup, but whatever they do, i hope they open with Pretty Tied Up. Alot of people dont like/over look that song. If Axl is still singing like he did a year and a half ago, i feel like he could belt it out in a lower register. Just think. You see Ferrer/Sorum/(doubt it, but)Steven behind the kit and you hear the cymbals and then you hear the first note ring out and you see Fortus/Izzy/Gilby on the side of the stage, then Slash comes in with those first notes, you hear "The Perils of Roccckkkkkk and Roll decadenceeeeeee" but you cant see Axl yet, Duff strolls put playing that first bass line, the band kicks in and Axl comes running out stomping his foot and grabing on to Duffs shoulder. Oh man. Just thinking about it gives me goose bumps. Never thought this forum would see the day this would happen..

Anyone going to the NYE show with Slash tonight? Cant imagine Slash will get through it without some drunk from the crowd asking about Axl... Plus it might be a special show. Hell, it might even be the last SMKC show for years if this GNR thing takes off!

Pretty Tied Up is one of my favorites. Very underrated song. Catchy as hell and smart lyrics making fun of how overly successful they had become by that point. Once there was this rock and roll band rolling down the street. Time went by and it became a joke!

it has turned into axl coming on kimmel to deny rumors and announce new members to replace assba & bbf...

Can you imagine the backlash this would cause? Damage control would have to be at code red levels. I don't think even Axl is willing to risk that. Hopefully not. Probably not. Maybe not.

Edited by SlashisGOD

it has turned into axl coming on kimmel to deny rumors and announce new members to replace assba & bbf...

Can you imagine the backlash this would cause? Damage control would have to be at code red levels. I don't think even Axl is willing to risk that. Hopefully not. Probably not. Maybe not.

I don't think NY Times or Billboard would have reported what they did unless the reunion is actually happening. Those are not rumor-mongering publications.

I was reading this earlier.

Oh what a strange twist...

Would you consider a reunion with the 'Appetite' or 'Illusions' lineups?

No

Why not?

A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere, but there's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty. He wrote that whole bit about not having his guitar in Vegas, I'd assume, to save face. I was told by both the Hard Rock and different Guns industry people who had come out to be supportive of the new band and were a bit surprised to see him there, especially guitar in hand, but just assumed it was a surprise for the show and we were in on the arrangement.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath.

Wouldn't you make more money?

If the music was there, meaning new music, I can't say for sure right now -- and there have been market surveys, and various promoters have put together different projections and analysis that in areas where there could be more, it's not enough to sell your soul and live in hell the rest of your life for, that's definitely certain. But that's the catch, right, the music? If I believed in that as a reality which, no offense meant to anyone, I haven't seen anything in all these years to convince me or we'd be doing this interview under different circumstances of some sort, to say the least.

It's not some place I want to be or have any interest in being. If I believed in it in regard to the music, not in direction so much but in how it feels and to what degree, then maybe it'd be another story. I'm in no way trying to be offensive to anyone here, and I'm allowed to have my own feelings in regard to what inspires me, not someone else. Other than a one-off or something, I don't really do songs because someone else likes them.

There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal though guarded distaste for much of 'Appetite' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

Edited by cooker

That German article from earlier just updated and said there will be a 2017 European tour. Take that as you will...

"What sensational news just reached us . Guns N 'Roses will rock the ring in July 2016 ! Not Rock am Ring but it will be the Hockenheimring , where according to our information Axl , Slash , Duff & Co. will do in July 2016 of their reunion concerts . Once is more information , you can learn it at once !

Update # 1 : According to our information , it will be the only individual Germany concert 2016th An extensive European tour will follow 2017th"

Gotta love Google translator :lol:

Edited by Crazyman

Random question to anyone who paid closer attention...

I know VR played some GNR stuff (It's So Easy, Brownstone, Used to Love Her, maybe some others I'm forgetting)...but before teaming up with Myles, how long had it been since Slash dug into the rest of the GNR catalog (stuff like PC, SCOM, Civil War, YCBM, Nightrain, WTTJ, etc.)?

I know this tour'll be the first time he touches stuff like NR, Don't Cry, and Estranged in years.

I know KOHD isnt GNRs song, but its a staple. He played that a couple times with Slash's Blues Ball in 97-98. He played Brownstone and Easy alot with Snakepit in 99-01. I think he might have even played Rocket Queen and My Michelle once or twice with Snakepit. He stayed away from SCOM back in those days right after GNR though. You could tell he was spot on in his comments about disliking it. By 2005 VR had taken off, and as they say: the rest is history!

• Like 1

No

Why not?

A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere, but there's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty. He wrote that whole bit about not having his guitar in Vegas, I'd assume, to save face. I was told by both the Hard Rock and different Guns industry people who had come out to be supportive of the new band and were a bit surprised to see him there, especially guitar in hand, but just assumed it was a surprise for the show and we were in on the arrangement.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath.

If the music was there, meaning new music, I can't say for sure right now -- and there have been market surveys, and various promoters have put together different projections and analysis that in areas where there could be more, it's not enough to sell your soul and live in hell the rest of your life for, that's definitely certain. But that's the catch, right, the music? If I believed in that as a reality which, no offense meant to anyone, I haven't seen anything in all these years to convince me or we'd be doing this interview under different circumstances of some sort, to say the least.

It's not some place I want to be or have any interest in being. If I believed in it in regard to the music, not in direction so much but in how it feels and to what degree, then maybe it'd be another story. I'm in no way trying to be offensive to anyone here, and I'm allowed to have my own feelings in regard to what inspires me, not someone else. Other than a one-off or something, I don't really do songs because someone else likes them.

There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal though guarded distaste for much of 'Appetite' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

And people still call Axl trustworthy. He is outright lying right there. There is NO WAY Slash showed up in Vegas, guitar in hand. Thats insane. Thats a fucking Axl move, not the move of any of the other Gunners (except maybe Steven). I'll contend that Slash isn't the De La Hoya some of us think he is, but there's no way he did that. Absolutely none. And that just blows all of Axl's credibility out the window.

Honestly, I read that, and I'm happy he failed. Not cause he said stuff that was too far (we've all done that), but he blantantly made shit up that people then bought as true. So to him, and to all those believing it, I'm happy he came crawling back to Slash. And get in some god damn shape Axl, cause this tour makes or breaks you. This ends the story with you either being the hero or the man that ruined all of our favorite band.

After reading that, don't fuck this up Axl.

That German article from earlier just updated and said there will be a 2017 European tour. Take that as you will...

"What sensational news just reached us . Guns N 'Roses will rock the ring in July 2016 ! Not Rock am Ring but it will be the Hockenheimring , where according to our information Axl , Slash , Duff & Co. will do in July 2016 of their reunion concerts . Once is more information , you can learn it at once !

Update # 1 : According to our information , it will be the only individual Germany concert 2016th An extensive European tour will follow 2017th"

Probably a few stadium shows in major European markets for 2016 then.

No

Why not?

And people still call Axl trustworthy. He is outright lying right there. There is NO WAY Slash showed up in Vegas, guitar in hand. Thats insane. Thats a fucking Axl move, not the move of any of the other Gunners (except maybe Steven). I'll contend that Slash isn't the De La Hoya some of us think he is, but there's no way he did that. Absolutely none. And that just blows all of Axl's credibility out the window.

Honestly, I read that, and I'm happy he failed. Not cause he said stuff that was too far (we've all done that), but he blantantly made shit up that people then bought as true. So to him, and to all those believing it, I'm happy he came crawling back to Slash. And get in some god damn shape Axl, cause this tour makes or breaks you. This ends the story with you either being the hero or the man that ruined all of our favorite band.

Slash recently called Axl one of the most honest people he has ever known. I don't believe Axl is lying about Slash showing up to the gig.

Holy shit.. Just caught up with everything over the past couple days while ive been on vacation. Crazy to think Axl will be live on our TV sets in less then a week.

I dont know who is going to be apart of the lineup, but whatever they do, i hope they open with Pretty Tied Up. Alot of people dont like/over look that song. If Axl is still singing like he did a year and a half ago, i feel like he could belt it out in a lower register. Just think. You see Ferrer/Sorum/(doubt it, but)Steven behind the kit and you hear the cymbals and then you hear the first note ring out and you see Fortus/Izzy/Gilby on the side of the stage, then Slash comes in with those first notes, you hear "The Perils of Roccckkkkkk and Roll decadenceeeeeee" but you cant see Axl yet, Duff strolls put playing that first bass line, the band kicks in and Axl comes running out stomping his foot and grabing on to Duffs shoulder. Oh man. Just thinking about it gives me goose bumps. Never thought this forum would see the day this would happen..

Anyone going to the NYE show with Slash tonight? Cant imagine Slash will get through it without some drunk from the crowd asking about Axl... Plus it might be a special show. Hell, it might even be the last SMKC show for years if this GNR thing takes off!

No

Why not?

Slash recently called Axl one of the most honest people he has ever known. I don't believe Axl is lying about Slash showing up to the gig.

I wouldn't say Axl is lying... more like an embellishment of someones report to him. Like "Yeah, he practically has his Guitar with him showing up like this". Which Axl could have run with.

the article did not update. gunsnrosesonline.de is saying that this will be the only concert in germany....not bild.de. i'm not surprised with that info. gnr will do a "short" european tour in 2016 and will come back 2017 for more shows.

No, he was obviously at the gig. He obviously DIDN'T have a guitar in hand and that is a bold face lie by Axl. Like a little bitch.

Did Axl see him? Very possible he was fed information by his management and believed it. Other thing is Slash was still on drugs and booze at the time. Nothing would surprise me in that scenario. I don't think a sober Slash would even show up and obviously wouldn't bring a guitar either.

No, he was obviously at the gig. He obviously DIDN'T have a guitar in hand and that is a bold face lie by Axl. Like a little bitch.

Did Axl see him? Very possible he was fed information by his management and believed it. Other thing is Slash was still on drugs and booze at the time. Nothing would surprise me in that scenario. I don't think a sober Slash would even show up and obviously wouldn't bring a guitar either.

Just stop it. Its not against you in particular. But just the whole "well... did he see him WITHOUT a guitar?" No, there was no guitar. And regardless if Axl was fed the information, he says later that Slash says he didn't JUST TO SAVE FACE. So we just blindly believe an insane assertion from Axl but when Slash outright says I was there, but no guitar THATS a lie to save face. The lengths people go to defend Axl is crazy.

That is a prime instance where he lied for his own gained, something I don't really believe the other members have done. Most of the stuff they said about Axl, he did, and its crucial to the story. I won't harp on this, but no, this is not Axl being misinformed. He lied, plain and simple.

For the members stating Axl toured to make money on his nostalgia act.

Los Angeles Times: Can you talk about the L.A. show at the Forum on Wednesday night?

Axl Rose: Well, LA will be interesting. I’m looking forward to it. We had a great time in ’06. We did three nights at the Gibson. But this year was very weird because the industry was trying to force us into a smaller show — just one, and then make it two. But the real thing about it is that the sound’s not that good at the Palladium — and why are we going down, when we can draw more? So we’re doing the Forum, but it really wasn’t done right. We had to fight for that. [Rose goes into a long tirade about specific industry executives.]

This whole tour is part of — it’s not like there’s a lot of money going to Live Nation or anything, but it’s part of how we worked out the settlement [with former manager and Live Nation exec Irving Azoff]. And I could have gone on to court, but that was going to block other things, so Live Nation's not getting paid, we’re not getting paid, but we’re putting it out of the way, so we did this tour. Then we get on the tour and find out that everything that was supposed to be done wasn’t done, and managers and agents are selling a show that was supposed to go on at 8 o’clock. They knew I was never going to do that.

I wonder how true this is. If so, no wonder he barely gave anything.

Just stop it. Its not against you in particular. But just the whole "well... did he see him WITHOUT a guitar?" No, there was no guitar. And regardless if Axl was fed the information, he says later that Slash says he didn't JUST TO SAVE FACE. So we just blindly believe an insane assertion from Axl but when Slash outright says I was there, but no guitar THATS a lie to save face. The lengths people go to defend Axl is crazy.

That is a prime instance where he lied for his own gained, something I don't really believe the other members have done. Most of the stuff they said about Axl, he did, and its crucial to the story. I won't harp on this, but no, this is not Axl being misinformed. He lied, plain and simple.

Maybe so. I didn't know Slash even admitted attending the show. I don't defend Axl either. I think he's a waste of talent and it is pretty pathetic how far downhill he has gone over the last 20 years. He will be the weak link of any reunion.

• Like 1

This doesn't change the fact that Axl may have had this information relayed to him. There is no reason to get too upset over an event that took place 15 years ago. Who cares one way or another at this point? I'm sure neither Axl or Slash do.