LA Weekly: AEG, Goldenvoice Have Been Courting Big Kickoff Show

November 13, 2015

Gossip blogs like Dish Nation and Blabbermouth don't like to verify sources and conduct real reporting. We did. In fact, we've talked to five different real sources (not "friends" or sycophants at the Rainbow Room), and here's what we know:

Axl Rose, Duff McKagan and Slash, either through lawyers or managers, have been discussing the possibility of a GNR reunion tour. We've been told that Steven Adler and Izzy Stradlin are not involved. Sources have told us that promoters like AEG and Goldenvoice have been courting the big kickoff show. But nothing is confirmed yet, and whatever talks may or may not be happening regarding a possible reunion could fall apart at any moment. Or, based on Slash's text to Hamilton, maybe they already have.

Not a single original member or legal representative has confirmed nor denied the rumors, which has resulted in mass hysteria among fans, bloggers and half the music industry in general. When we asked a former NIN tour manager what he thought about the reunion, his reaction was to freak out and walk away from us, quickly — as if we'd asked him for missile launch codes. The tour manager, close personal friends with bassist Duff McKagan, could have denied the rumors calmly; instead, his abrupt reaction sent a signal that something is happening. But it's unclear what that something is.

To be clear: Vicky Hamilton isn't a direct source, either. She is no longer working for or directly associated with GNR in any formal capacity. She's a reliable source and very connected — a way more reliable source on this subject than, say, Scott Weiland. But for all we know, Slash could be trying to dispel rumors as details of an actual reunion are being hashed out.

From everyone we've talked to, the consensus is that Del James, a former GNR road manager and close friend of Axl Rose's (who once interviewed Axl for Rolling Stone), is the one person outside of Axl, Slash, Duff and their lawyers who might actually know what's going on. But he's not talking, and why would he? Would you? Axl could pull the plug on this at any time, because Axl is Axl, and nobody close to him wants to start a war with the man once nicknamed "Ayatollah" by his bandmates.

So everybody just calm down. There's no Guns N' Roses reunion. Unless there is. But there isn't. Probably.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/gnr-tour-isnt-happening-according-to-former-guns-n-roses-manager-6274934

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 1

So based on this article it's mainly a question of whether they can actually reach the stage in the first place. This could still be the great reunion that never was.

There was something similar in the VR years, Weiland said that contracts were on the table to do a reunion tour. Later we learned that Axl wanted some Slash on CD. All of that fell apart.

"We did our research unlike every other media outlet. But we still don't know any more than anyone else."

I feel like a lot of these "sources" are saying that. Who knows what to believe for sure? Regardless the silence from all parties right now tells me all I need to know...

I still think there's no way Izzy and Steven aren't involved, at least in some preliminary fashion. Also, the article doesn't talk about Sorum at all, which leads me to believe they don't know anything either. They're going off what they've heard and that it sounds "believable" that its definitely Duff, Axl and Slash. Personally, I still can't see them not doing one show at least with Izzy. Everyone involved knows people want to see the original band. Not the 3 of them, even though we'd settle for it, but the original band. If not for a tour, for a show. I think most people want that to happen at least once, and a tour could follow in any manner they see fit. But I just really don't see Slash and Duff just joining Axl. That makes no sense. Not that its necessarily "all or bust" but I have a hard time believing Slash and Duff are just gonna round out Axl's band. For them to contemplate a reunion, I have to imagine they're seeking everyone involved, or they wouldn't even consider it. Cause they know it wouldn't be Guns N Roses.

Something is happening, it might come to nothing but something is being talked about. if it wasn't based in truth do you think that Jarmo would allow talk of a reunion to be so blatantly discussed on HTGTH? Do you not think TB or Axl would have taken pleasure in crushing the rumour weeks ago. What about Slashs brothers apology? They say there is no smoke without fire, let's hope they can work out the legals and we can all go watch some good fucking music. Peace x

Axl, Slash and Duff aren't enough... Seems half assed.. Need Steven or Izzy Involed as well.. Gilby at the very least...

Like I said, I have to think they know this. The offers are for all 5, even though they'd take 3 I'm sure. But like, the band knows what the band is. There's no way after years of negotiating we finally reach an agreement and its half assed. I think they know its all or bust.

Something is happening, it might come to nothing but something is being talked about. if it wasn't based in truth do you think that Jarmo would allow talk of a reunion to be so blatantly discussed on HTGTH? Do you not think TB or Axl would have taken pleasure in crushing the rumour weeks ago. What about Slashs brothers apology? They say there is no smoke without fire, let's hope they can work out the legals and we can all go watch some good fucking music. Peace x

Totally agree. I think some things can be explained. Slash's brother's apology could literally just be Slash has grown up and said "its not cool to post that, even if I'm not friends with the guy". Stuff like why Duff, Axl or Slash haven't released any kind of statement about it is more interesting. None of them have even thrown out a "well thats news to me!" type of thing. I guess I just wonder when the speculation ends. Most likely it'll get blown no matter what they do, so I wonder when the bubble bursts or when they just say we couldn't reach an agreement. Its weird, but fitting for GNR, to think its just as reasonable to say something is definitely happening or nothing has changed. I don't think there's any party that is wrong or naive. Clearly something is up, even if its maybe just like an old DVD release of a classic show. Thats not what I think is happening, but you get what I mean. Clearly something is being talked over or it would have been shot down weeks ago.

• Like 2

Axl, Slash and Duff aren't enough... Seems half assed.. Need Steven or Izzy Involed as well.. Gilby at the very least...

Like I said, I have to think they know this. The offers are for all 5, even though they'd take 3 I'm sure. But like, the band knows what the band is. There's no way after years of negotiating we finally reach an agreement and its half assed. I think they know its all or bust.

Totally agree. I think some things can be explained. Slash's brother's apology could literally just be Slash has grown up and said "its not cool to post that, even if I'm not friends with the guy". Stuff like why Duff, Axl or Slash haven't released any kind of statement about it is more interesting. None of them have even thrown out a "well thats news to me!" type of thing. I guess I just wonder when the speculation ends. Most likely it'll get blown no matter what they do, so I wonder when the bubble bursts or when they just say we couldn't reach an agreement. Its weird, but fitting for GNR, to think its just as reasonable to say something is definitely happening or nothing has changed. I don't think there's any party that is wrong or naive. Clearly something is up, even if its maybe just like an old DVD release of a classic show. Thats not what I think is happening, but you get what I mean. Clearly something is being talked over or it would have been shot down weeks ago.

About "Slash's brother's apology could literally just be Slash has grown up and said "its not cool to post that....."

Slash's brother also mentioned Axl being on a strict diet. Now how would he come to know that information then?

Slash's brother also mentioned Axl being on a strict diet. Now how would he come to know that information then?

Fair enough. Thats a pretty good point. But again, if he does know that why would he insult Axl at all? What would have had to happen is he got sick of all the reunion talk, insulted Axl, THEN was told the reunion tour is actually being talked about, so he apologized and even unknowingly spilled some beans? In all honesty, the whole thing sounds ridiculous. I couldn't tell you how he knew about the diet (maybe he made it up?), but I find it hard to place why he'd insult Axl then know that, without having been informed in the meantime maybe something was going on.

In the words of Madagascar "this whole thing's fucked up".