Reunion Setlist?

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I guess Slash did say he didn't want to do Seymour ballads or NIN songs. But he said CD was a great record.

No he didn't at all. I just an interview here last week where he said it was great hearing Axl's voice. Then he said the music "is what it is" with a sarcastic smirk on his face. That was the nicest way he could say it sucked.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm excited to hear how the CD songs sound with Slash/Duff/no Pitman so, fuck it, just extend the setlist :lol:

Fine.. Make it a 3 hour show and the CD songs will be my piss/beer breaks ;)

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think he just liked the vocals according to this interview:

yeah that interview lol

Edited by Tom-Ass

There's definitely a Slash quote saying "it's a great record" around the time of release. Who know's if he's being homest or just deflecting hassle. But Slash likes a lot of music, not only his hard rock brand of stuff. In promo interview for VR he picked Closer by NIN to play. 

He definitely has some quote about riffs through sausage grinders or not really like Nin or pearl for GNR at least. So yeah why would he turn around and play Chi dem live. But who knows maybe Bucket or Robin thought Jungle is cock rock. 

Slash would never make an album in the CD way. I'm not sure he even uses protools? Definitely don't see him having such instrumentation. 

More I think about it the less I see it. CD tracks will be limited I think. This I Love and some Dizzy track like SoD or Better (Slash version)with Fortus. 

5 hours ago, wasted said:

There's definitely a Slash quote saying "it's a great record" around the time of release. Who know's if he's being homest or just deflecting hassle. But Slash likes a lot of music, not only his hard rock brand of stuff. In promo interview for VR he picked Closer by NIN to play. 

He definitely has some quote about riffs through sausage grinders or not really like Nin or pearl for GNR at least. So yeah why would he turn around and play Chi dem live. But who knows maybe Bucket or Robin thought Jungle is cock rock. 

Slash would never make an album in the CD way. I'm not sure he even uses protools? Definitely don't see him having such instrumentation. 

More I think about it the less I see it. CD tracks will be limited I think. This I Love and some Dizzy track like SoD or Better (Slash version)with Fortus. 

Yeah but I mean look at his recording approach. Different from Axl's way of tinkering things. He records it analog, Axl has no problem of altering it completely and the layers approach is not something Slash chose to go with in any of his releases.

And I think that just cause you like something, doesn't mean that's what you want to do yourself. Like it was never really Slash or "real Guns" sounding enough for Slash to ever actually do an album like that. The clip I've posted is very telling imo. Slash obviously didn't like the music in Chinese or the approach if we're going just by that clip which was also around the release of it I think.

Edited by Rovim

19 hours ago, wasted said:

Who played Better live after Finck left? That guitar in the verses is very Robin, arty down tuned, kind of a weird, sublime tone there. Maybe Fortus can take it and then Slash does the solos or main riff which is just a circus de soleil scom thing. Better is really a goth industrial Sweet Child of Mine. 

Iv'e seen Richard take the lead on Better a few times, he did help write the guitar parts I beleive.

17 hours ago, Rovim said:

This shows Slash is a true Rock n' Roll fan. I don't think he has ever been jealous of anything in Nu-Guns because he genuinely likes new rock & CD was part of that. He really dug Myles hence why he stole him for a while.

17 hours ago, Rovim said:

This shows Slash is a true Rock n' Roll fan. I don't think he has ever been jealous of anything in Nu-Guns because he genuinely likes new rock & CD was part of that. He really dug Myles hence why he stole him for a while.

23 hours ago, Sprite said:

There's got to be mutual respect there. I can hear where slash fits in Chinese like I can hear how Axl fits in Slash's solo stuff. They go together. Like peanut butter and jelly. I think it was important for Slash to make it on his "own" so to speak, which could explain part of why this has taken so long. I know he had VR and GNR and was well known and respected. But let's face it, nobody knows it's 5 o'clock somewhere outside of this forum. And I think he knew that. So having his uber success that launched in what.. 2010? could have validated him to himself. And coming upon that realization can make you look at yourself and others different. Thus the initial sparks of a possible relationship with Axl began. 

Now, I think that could be slashs perspective. For Axl it was sort of the same thing. For legal reasons I think Axl felt he had to carry the business burden to have any sort of relevance like what slash was aiming for, but with his incarnation of gnr. Think of it what you will but Axl came out with the name, kept it relavent while steering the ship,and here we are on mygnr.com. Is the guns name anything what it is today without someone carrying that? I'd assume this regrouping would be a lot more second rate had Axl not tried keeping the name relavent. Guns n roses in 2016 become "oh that cool 80s band who play paradise city from that video game"  if it dissolved in 93. instead of stadium tours this way. Ironically, each other's individual success probably benefited both individually and together today. And let's face it Axl acuired a bunch of truly talented musicians and made a fantastic record. Old models of reality is all that's keeping you from seeing that if you like rock music, based purely on a musical perspective. Legally, sure you disagree with Axl. I don't like that most corporations "can't afford" to give out raises, but executives are making millions in bonuses. What can I, an observer, do? So it is what it is. Nu guns was fucking great musically.

I think the bitterness could have stemmed a bit from the old adage "a band is a marriage". I think these guys were really close at a time and obviously the resume speaks for itself. Having to continually go through what I imagine to be tremendously difficult legal obstacles from both parties, sounds a bit like divorce proceedings lasting forever. Sometimes balancing the feelings you had when you first fell in love with "this dumb bitch really wants half my paycheck so she can have our kid full custody" is hard. Much like hearing sweet child o mine play innocently on a distant radio while you're arguing over who can release what dvd under what banner and "which guns songs can be featured- but who wrote that?" Probably gets tough. It's just music after all. They are just people.

At a certain point you might get tired of the drama and you're ready to get on with it. Eventually you run out of reruns sort of thing. It's a little like that great Hafiz line, "You can pick all the flowers, but you can't stop the spring." They both did what they had to do. They got that "anger bang" out of the way but that was just ego mellow drama that had to play out and now they're ready to be with what went together so well like pb&j.

thats my theory!

Good post, agree with majority of it. I still have difficulty in seeing Axl ever do anything live from VR, Conspiritors or Snakepit. I know solo stuff has been done by Tommy or BBF live with GN'R but I feel that is different.

BTW I think Axl would kick ass on Beggars & Hangers On

Edited by NOVEMBER COMA
  • Like 1

I'm really looking forward to Slash doing November Rain and Estranged justice.  Those songs will sound the best they've sounded since...well, since they broke up.  Also looking forward to not seeing DJ to that stupid ear cuff thing.  

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

Yeah but I mean look at his recording approach. Different from Axl's way of tinkering things. He records it analog, Axl has no problem of altering it completely and the layers approach is not something Slash chose to go with in any of his releases.

And I think that just cause you like something, doesn't mean that's what you want to do yourself. Like it was never really Slash or "real Guns" sounding enough for Slash to ever actually do an album like that. The clip I've posted is very telling imo. Slash obviously didn't like the music in Chinese or the approach if we're going just by that clip which was also around the release of it I think.

He definitely has some quote about riffs through sausage grinders or not really like Nin or pearl for GNR at l

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think that's what I said. He doesn't work like that, and wouldn't do CD as GNR. He might like some of it, but as GNR no. 

Whether he has more perspective now to say Axl did these songs and I see where I can fit in I don't know. 

But overall CD songs aren't guitar centric. Axl seems to want to focus on lyrics and melody. This where I get biased and go on about songs. But guitar work is also important, that's what Slash enjoys, not like playinga power cord to set up piano. Like the long guitar riffing on Slash on Fire is cool.

But if AFD was Izzy, UYI was Slash, CD was Axl. So all things being unequal it kind of worked out. We got a lot of variety. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Original said:

I'm really looking forward to Slash doing November Rain and Estranged justice.  Those songs will sound the best they've sounded since...well, since they broke up.  Also looking forward to not seeing DJ to that stupid ear cuff thing.  

Agree, I was surprised when Axl introduced Estranged into the set a couple of years ago but I think having it early in the set removed it from being a major highlight plus all the guitarists had a go at it. It sounded stripped & weak. Slash will do it justice but I think later in the set.

9 hours ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

Iv'e seen Richard take the lead on Better a few times, he did help write the guitar parts I beleive.

I think he wrote the riff in the chorus. I guess if he plays Better is more possible. 

In a way She Builds Quick Machines isn't much different from Shacklers. 

• Like 1

"We'd like to take a moment to play a cover now. This is an obscure number from a band that you may not have heard of before but which boasted Brian May, Shaquille O' Neal and Mickey Mouse among its members. It's called Catcher in the Rye."

If Axl wants to do CD songs, Slash should be allowed to introduce them.

• Like 1

I think Axl might have wanted to use Slash on Catcher in the Rye or   This I Love. The idea was never for him to quit.  It's just Slash didn't really want to. Axl writes songs on piano is how I imagine it. And then looks for someone to help. Slash didn't want to do that way back when. He wanted to do a more back basics Snakepit type thing. 

The question is with the success of songs like Nov Rain, Estranged does he now feel more interested in Axl songs. Is the hassle of working with Axl now worth it and sees something in those CD songs. Or is he more like I did it better. I think the idea of it as Guns he doesn't like but time gives perspective and he can probably see how great Axl is at what he does. 

Is there essentially something different about Catcher as a song idea that would turn him away when he played Estranged or Annatasia? Is it that it's "Axl's song" so Axl sits up in the director's chair? 

Maybe it's more Slash sees Guns as more AC/DC and Axl wants it more like Queen. I didn't get much Queen or Elton vibe from Slash's solo projects. That stuff is more structured with strings. Even Annatasia doesn't have the Queen thing. 

To meet in the middle Axl has to strip it back and Slash has to be a little more pompous to the level of Estranged. Maybe ITW, TIL, Prostitute is too far for Slash. Zepp is as far as he goes progressively. Safari Inn is that alien technology. So Axl will have to reign it in. 

Slash on TWAT and Catcher is about right. They are within the scope of UYI. Maybe The Blues is just too Elton camp and Madagasca just isn't rock enough production wise. I sort of imagine Slash playing the horn parts on guitar as a riff and the song being more like Kashmir with at least one longer solo to end it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

"We'd like to take a moment to play a cover now. This is an obscure number from a band that you may not have heard of before but which boasted Brian May, Shaquille O' Neal and Mickey Mouse among its members. It's called Catcher in the Rye."

If Axl wants to do CD songs, Slash should be allowed to introduce them.

lol.. playing CD songs is just wrong... 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

The question is with the success of songs like Nov Rain, Estranged does he now feel more interested in Axl songs. 

Good post. I think for all the criticism Axl gets it's easy to forget how much influence he had in expanding their catalog which I think has helped their legacy today. His grandiose vision of November Rain is enough to compete with Beiber and T. Swift popularity wise on Youtube 25 years after the fact, something no pre 2000 artist has matched. So to me it's clear that style really resonated with a lot of people. Maybe it took Slash some time to cop to it. But that gets hard to deny after awhile I would think?

Snakepit would have been a good record to keep the interest in '95. Sort of like a Lies/TSI release. They just needed a shared vision for the '97 record first and at that point Slash was done with what he saw as bloated. And Axl was ready for his vision then because they already made AFD twice so what next? This is pure speculation and assuming I might be right, but maybe Axl felt like Slash didn't hold up his end of the deal. "I'll do Snakepit if you do these tracks" type thing. But Slash wasn't into that at the time. "Shut up and sing". Maybe Axl felt hurt like they were in this together and we've come this far and you're giving up?

I think Axl felt like they had to keep evolving as a representation of how he's changed over time. AFD after AFD turns them into a meaner ACDC but that isn't something that could be agreed upon or even desired. They just needed time apart to work out their own visions of music. Axl can do the hard rock thing still and Slash understands the impact of the deeper tracks now. Duff is there to make it all gel. Izzy is the cherry on top.

Edited by Sprite

8 minutes ago, Sprite said:

Good post. I think for all the criticism Axl gets it's easy to forget how much influence he had in expanding their catalog which I think has helped their legacy today. His grandiose vision of November Rain is enough to compete with Beiber and T. Swift popularity wise on Youtube 25 years after the fact, something no pre 2000 artist has matched. So to me it's clear that style really resonated with a lot of people. Maybe it took Slash some time to cop to it. But that gets hard to deny after awhile I would think?

Snakepit would have been a good record to keep the interest in '95. Sort of like a Lies/TSI release. They just needed a shared vision for the '97 record first and at that point Slash was done with what he saw as bloated. And Axl was ready for his vision then because they already made AFD twice so what next? This is pure speculation and assuming I might be right, but maybe Axl felt like Slash didn't hold up his end of the deal. "I'll do Snakepit if you do these tracks" type thing. But Slash wasn't into that at the time. "Shut up and sing". Maybe Axl felt hurt like they were in this together and we've come this far and you're giving up?

I think Axl felt like they had to keep evolving as a representation of how he's changed over time. AFD after AFD turns them into a meaner ACDC but that isn't something that could be agreed upon or even desired. They just needed time apart to work out their own visions of music. Axl can do the hard rock thing still and Slash understands the impact of the deeper tracks now. Duff is there to make it all gel. Izzy is the cherry on top. I love Steven, but clamoring for him and him only negates the impact of UYI/ Guns legacy as a diverse rock band musically.

It does seem like to two different ways of working didn't match. Nov Rain in grunge era must have been embarrassing for Slash. 

It's kind of interesting that Axl says he was open to do back to basics record. And Slash wanted to do Snakepit as Guns. Cut to today what Axl said might work out now. But I think Axl was saying recently he wants to come up with melodies and lyrics together, like write together, not just Slash lay down 12 guitar tracks and Axl sing over them. He was speaking about working with Slash at that time. 

I just if it come full circle and they'll all go back and jam at the Hell House. 

People just seem so against Slash being part of a CD writing process, so maybe it's up to Axl to get back into hard rock singer mode. 

38 minutes ago, wasted said:

It's kind of interesting that Axl says he was open to do back to basics record. And Slash wanted to do Snakepit as Guns. Cut to today what Axl said might work out now. But I think Axl was saying recently he wants to come up with melodies and lyrics together, like write together, not just Slash lay down 12 guitar tracks and Axl sing over them. He was speaking about working with Slash at that time. 

One can only hope! It feels like a sneeze that's been held in. Axl & Slash need another record to their name.

To be honest I think we will hear some new stuff - how "new" it will be remains to be seen and whether it will debut at these first shows or on the main tour.

There's been a lot of rumblings about slash and duff putting parts on old CD stuff - I can also see Slash & Duff bringing some bits they had hanging around or old VR songs (for the 3rd record rather than cast offs) and playing new music as Guns. I can't see them rehashing CD songs - does anybody on the whole want to hear it? The only reason they'll do it is Axl wants to do it to make the last 15 years of GnR still seem relevant in some shape or form.

Also a lot of the difference between VR/Slash/Early Guns and CD is aside from the electronics (and Bucket madness) is the beat. CD songs are very straight, whereas a lot of the Early GnR/VR/Slash stuff has a groove to it (where the beat has a bit of back and forth). Think Big Machine as a good example of a modern rock song but still having that groove style of beat. If you listen to the first VR album theres a lot more modern sounding stuff on there with the guitars and the effects that are used, almost grungey/industrial in places but it still retains that classic rock beat rather than the drum machiney/hip hop vibe that permiates throughout CD.

Back on topic - early on play Appetite, UYI singles and patience. Maybe slip in a new song and a cool slash solo/band jam type thing - job done.

14 hours ago, wasted said:

I think he wrote the riff in the chorus. I guess if he plays Better is more possible. 

In a way She Builds Quick Machines isn't much different from Shacklers. 

Yes & is one of the better VR songs. Can't imagine a VR song on the set. Maybe down the track if Matt joins in somewhere something like Fall to Pieces may be done but doubt Axl would.

Let's see what could be add to the setlist:

Patience, Civil War, November Rain, Estranged, Madagascar, Don't Cry.

But does the show in Vegas needs more mellow or pure rock n roll like:

You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Pretty Tied Up, Move To The City, Rhiad

52 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Let's see what could be add to the setlist:

Patience, Civil War, November Rain, Estranged, Madagascar, Don't Cry.

But does the show in Vegas needs more mellow or pure rock n roll like:

You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Pretty Tied Up, Move To The City, Rhiad

I'm certain a lot of that stuff will see Vegas and the tour.

On March 29, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Eddie Money says CD songs, so I'm going in expecting some CD songs. Plus, TIL and TWAT are the songs I really wanna hear Slash on, and Axl usually does pretty well on them. Throw Think About You in there anyway just cuz I've never heard it live (heard OTGM in 2010). If anything they can swap Bad Apples for Breakdown :lol:

Any reports on how those CD songs sounded last night?  

To be honest, I have not been that thrilled about the regrouping. I really liked Tommy Stinson and Bumblefoot, and Chinese Democracy is the album that got me hooked on Guns N Roses (I like the other albums as well, but Chinese Democracy is what gets me going). I was genuinely worried that with Slash and Duff in the band the CD-material would never be played again. My worst case scenario was that they would go out and play Appetite from start to finish, top it off with some Illusions songs and pretend CD never happened.

Now I'm excited to hear what they both can bring to the Chinese Democracy songs and I also have a faint hope that this regrouping will result in the release of the unreleased CD-era. And I hope that any new recordings will be as daring as Chinese Democracy (or the Illusions, when they are at their best) instead of them trying to make Appetite 2. 

Edited by Thorbear